View Single Post
      03-29-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
mattsnow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

The next step IS to put this sort of info on the HUD. Sensors in the car will track where the drivers eyes are and where they are pointed and then based on this, a greyscale outline of the infrared signal will be projected at the right location on the windshield. Great for the driver to see things at night. A little disorienting for anyone else in the car because the projection they see would not match the outside.

I saw a youtube video where they compared the nightvision on BMWs with other makes. This youtube video also had the windshields covered so that the drivers could see only through the nightvision displays. The BMW system was not the best because it uses a passive system (i.e. the car did not emit infrared light, it could only see what was emitted naturally by the surroundings). A passive system works best when there are large natural heat differences, such as you might find in a dry place that gets very warm during the day (notice that they did this just after sunset in So CA). Fog, snow on the ground, heavy rain, not much sunlight during the day, etc. can lower the temp contrasts that an infrared camera can see. From the youtube video, the mercedes system worked better because it used an active system (the car emitted infrared light that the night vision camera was able to detect). I am not sure though why this is better than a system that uses visible light emitted by the car (headlights) and then visible light sensors in the car (eyes). If I HAD to drive with my windshield covered, where headlights and eyes were not useful, I would prefer the active infrared system. But since my night driving will be done with a transparent windshield, the passive system is just fine.

The good thing about all these systems is that even when the conditions are not so great for seeing some objects that are not much hotter or cooler than their surroundings (curbs, lines painted on a road, traffic cones), they will always be good at seeing warm things like people, animals, and running cars. Thus the passive system used by BMW is, IMHO, worthwhile. I like gadgets, I'm going to get it.

Last edited by mattsnow; 03-29-2014 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0