09-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #121
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper5 View Post
Wife has a 17 Tahoe premiere/LTZ...only 2 kids but stroller + lots of road trips to visit relatives. Large vehicle to be sure, but it rides well and is very comfortable. Navigation is an upgrade from the 15; has apple CarPlay, etc...would rather have that for a family car than a minivan.

Mostly, though, it's about the size/weight/safety for me. If you've ever lost anyone in a horrible car accident, you think differently about what you drive and how you drive it. I will never own anything smaller than an SUV unless it's just for occasional casual around-town trips. While the X5 has more than adequate safety features, ample airbags, and substantial weight/heft, I will likely be getting a Yukon XL for road trips & size/safety.

Also, for those seriously considering an Escalade per previous posts, while the trim & appearance may be nicer than the Yukon Denali, I believe it's the same engine and near same interior, the GMC being substantially cheaper. Both the Denali & Escalade have a 420hp V8, while the Tahoe & Suburban only output ~370hp.
Isn't Yukon/Denali/Escalade/Expedition more likely to roll than something like X5 or Q7, etc? I get that they are much larger and less likely to get damaged in a crash, but I am worried about their likelihood of being rolled. Sure, I understand you said "what you drive and how you drive" and the 2nd part is what makes you safer against rollovers, but I've seen too many videos where a vehicle just driving, minding it's own business, but someone lightly taps the right spot of the vehicle because the other small vehicle was trying to avoid an accident, ends up flipping the bigger truck/large (massive) SUV.