BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2023, 09:24 PM   #1
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

BMW Cross bars - broken "nut"

F15 rack cross bars... Inside the attachment is a cylinder shaped metal bar, drilled through the middle and tapped to accept the tightening bolt that you turn from the outside.

A couple of mine have always been too tight, possibly cross threaded from the amount of torque on them to actually get the tightener to click. Any way, I was just starting to get one tightened down when the inner nut actually cracked. Picture attached.

Anybody know where to order something like this? Haven't scoured realoem yet. Searched through a couple cross bar parts sites, but all they carry is Thule/Yakima/whatever stuff.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 02:10 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I might be wrong but I think BMW OEM crossbars are made by Thule and just re-branded.So you might be able to find them by looking at Thule spare parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 12:47 AM   #3
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
I might be wrong but I think BMW OEM crossbars are made by Thule and just re-branded.So you might be able to find them by looking at Thule spare parts.
From a quick search, I think you're right. I messaged Thule customer service to see what they say.

I'll meet to verify the size/pitch of the threads, but it's called a "barrel nut" and it measures 10mm diameter x 50mm long (or 3/8" x 2"). I found some references on etrailer and a few others for Thule parts barrel nuts, but nothing this long.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep

Well, struck out with Thule. They have no parts like this and said it's likely BMW is sourcing through some means that they can't replicate. Not sure BMW can help because the part in question has nothing in realoem to work with. I guess I'll have to get the nut thread/pitch figured out, and go hunting on eBay or Alibaba or something for a replicant. Closest I found is 1 1/4" long, which might work okay but could be a risk of breaking the plastic it squeezes against since it's not 2" long.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #5
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

It looks pretty simple of a piece... Is there a local machine/fab shop that can make one for you?
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
It looks pretty simple of a piece... Is there a local machine/fab shop that can make one for you?
Agree, a metal fabricator should be able to make you one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 09:24 PM   #7
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

is that just a steel rod with a single thread in it?

Couldn't you get one the same diameter, cut to length and tap a thread into it?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 10:20 PM   #8
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Did you buy these crossbars new or used?
If new. considering this is a BMW OEM part, with a fastening knob that indicates the correct torque... So you might want to reach out to BMW NA about it. See what they can do about replacing the bars maybe as goodwill?
Slim chance, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

You can also check if you have a Nuts and Bolt company where you live, preferably one who specializes in Metric (I'm not sure, but I'm guessing these are metric).
Ask for "Cross Dowel Barrel Nuts"

I have the BMW OEM bars and never had an issue with them. Always tightening down until the click, then half turn more if need be to close the covers.
If you bought your crossbars used, and someone didn't know how to use them, over torqued them, it might cause this issue. Otherwise there must have been an issue when they were made IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Yeah DIY it or find a local shop who works with metal. Looks very simple, just drill a hole and tap it with right thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #10
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Did you buy these crossbars new or used?
If new. considering this is a BMW OEM part, with a fastening knob that indicates the correct torque... So you might want to reach out to BMW NA about it. See what they can do about replacing the bars maybe as goodwill?
Slim chance, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

You can also check if you have a Nuts and Bolt company where you live, preferably one who specializes in Metric (I'm not sure, but I'm guessing these are metric).
Ask for "Cross Dowel Barrel Nuts"

I have the BMW OEM bars and never had an issue with them. Always tightening down until the click, then half turn more if need be to close the covers.
If you bought your crossbars used, and someone didn't know how to use them, over torqued them, it might cause this issue. Otherwise there must have been an issue when they were made IMO.
Looks like it was crossthreaded... doubt anyone will warranty that. But yes, can't hurt to ask.

But agree with others, looks like a simple piece. Machine shop or similar should be able to do it. Might cost $40... might cost next to nothing. Depends how cool the machine shop is.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 11:56 AM   #11
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep

I took the bolt to the hardware store and confirmed it's M6-1.0. So I have all the dimensions and just need to find a machine shop to make a few. I'm going to check if the holder will accept a square instead of a round barrel, as that would make these stronger, but I think there is some curvature of the plastic in the clamp so it might have to be round. I live in SF Bay Area, so not as many machine shops around for stuff like this but there are. I'm near Livermore wine country so more farming type services in that area. Also checking out Alibaba and a couple other online sources that might be able to make these. Like you've all said, very simple, but I haven't found anything "off the shelf" that was longer than 30mm.

10mm diameter, 50mm length, center hole at M6-1.0

Cross-threading...yes and no. No it wasn't cross-threaded, but the nut bends from the amount of torque and that created the equivalent situation as cross-threading. The built-in torque-click mechanism isn't reliable.

Good-will with BMW -- I bought them from a former F15 owner who never used them. They were literally new in box, but that doesn't give me a receipt to go to a BMW dealer with.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 07:38 PM   #12
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

r33_RGSport is this something you can help with? I know you are in CA, but not sure if something like this is up your wheelhouse .
Appreciate 1