BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
MontaukUSA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

2014 BMW X5 Windshield Problem

Did not accept delivery of a new 2014 X5 last week due to a flawed windshield. The middle/bottom portion created distortion almost as if it was a magnifying glass. More specifically, when looking straight ahead from the drivers seat all was good. When shifting eyes down and towards the middle of the windshield - the viewing was slightly distorted. The dealer sales team and service people agreed it was a flaw. Anyone come across this before? MANY THANKS.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Couldn't you just get the windshield replaced? In my opinion it is something I would accept getting replaced instead of declining the car and having to wait months for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I had that effect in the rear screen of my X6. Took delivery anyway, and then went to service.

Service team concluded it was "normal", and refused to replace it.

As long as you'd got, in writing in the "We Owe" section, that they were replacing the screen - I'd have likely taken delivery. Only if it's written down tho ;p
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
I had that effect in the rear screen of my X6. Took delivery anyway, and then went to service.

Service team concluded it was "normal", and refused to replace it.

As long as you'd got, in writing in the "We Owe" section, that they were replacing the screen - I'd have likely taken delivery. Only if it's written down tho ;p
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Couldn't you just get the windshield replaced? In my opinion it is something I would accept getting replaced instead of declining the car and having to wait months for a new one.
YMMV, but by declining these obviously defective vehicles I feel we send a message to BMW to get their act together.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
YMMV, but by declining these obviously defective vehicles I feel we send a message to BMW to get their act together.
I like the sentiment (and yes, I had to google 'YMMV' lol), but unfortunately, I doubt anyone really hears that message. These cars are still tough to get, for now. So, I'm sure they weren't too upset at throwing it on the lot and probably making more selling it to someone that doesn't negotiate the way the educated consumers on here do... I still applaud sticking to your principles, just not very optimistic that it affects BMW the way you want it to, sadly.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

If the vehicle would sit in the dealer's lot for months until someone got it at a discount I would do the same. However, the dealer was probably quite happy he declined the delivery of the car since they for sure sold to someone willing to pay premium for that car instead of having to wait until March 2014. It happened to me. When I told my dealer I wasn't happy with the stupid instrument cluster I got he was more than happy to take the car back and even told me he had a buyer for it on the same day.

This is called supply and demand. While demand is high and supply is low both BMW and dealer could not care less about its customers. You don't like the windshield, there is a line of people that will take the car as it is in a heartbeat. Bad for us!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

As I stated, each person has his/her own tolerance for imperfection. Obviously turning down a few defective vehicles will not matter to BMW, but I think it is always hazardous in the long run to reward bad behavior.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
X5carolina
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

What if the Vehicle is Flawed at PCD?

We are waiting (impatiently) for news of our X50i now caught in parts shortage hell and I keep reading of flaws in recently delivered, brand new vehicles. If we take delivery at the Performance Center (which we intend to do, for the moment), what happens if you see a flaw in your vehicle there? Is there a form that creates a "We Owe" obligation for BMW? Or the purchasing dealer?

Thanks for any experience you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontaukUSA View Post
Did not accept delivery of a new 2014 X5 last week due to a flawed windshield. The middle/bottom portion created distortion almost as if it was a magnifying glass. More specifically, when looking straight ahead from the drivers seat all was good. When shifting eyes down and towards the middle of the windshield - the viewing was slightly distorted. The dealer sales team and service people agreed it was a flaw. Anyone come across this before? MANY THANKS.
Did they offer to get you another X5? What have you decided to do?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
chiefmike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i - 2014 X5 35i

[QUOTE=MontaukUSA;15076954]Did not accept delivery of a new 2014 X5 last week due to a flawed windshield. The middle/bottom portion created distortion almost as if it was a magnifying glass. More specifically, when looking straight ahead from the drivers seat all was good. When shifting eyes down and towards the middle of the windshield - the viewing was slightly distorted. The dealer sales team and service people agreed it was a flaw. Anyone come across this before? MANY THANKS.[/QUOT

You did the right thing. I too had a defective windshield it had spray marks between the laminate. after 4 days they replace the windshield but also put a big dent on the driver's door. The windshield also has a bad wind noise as if the sunroof was open. I now have to take it in and it will go to a body shop. I only hope nothing else goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
MontaukUSA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Thanks for all the responses.
I ordered another one. I didn't take delivery not so much to send BMW a message - more that I expect a car with an $82k MSRP to be flawless when I drive off the lot. I have had 6 or 7 BMW's and plan to keep buying over the years.... On a separate note, I seriously considered the new RR Sport instead of the X5. But, the BMW build felt way superior to me...........

[QUOTE=chiefmike;15079037]
Quote:
Did not accept delivery of a new 2014 X5 last week due to a flawed windshield. The middle/bottom portion created distortion almost as if it was a magnifying glass. More specifically, when looking straight ahead from the drivers seat all was good. When shifting eyes down and towards the middle of the windshield - the viewing was slightly distorted. The dealer sales team and service people agreed it was a flaw. Anyone come across this before? MANY THANKS.[/QUOT

You did the right thing. I too had a defective windshield it had spray marks between the laminate. after 4 days they replace the windshield but also put a big dent on the driver's door. The windshield also has a bad wind noise as if the sunroof was open. I now have to take it in and it will go to a body shop. I only hope nothing else goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
On a separate note, I seriously considered the new RR Sport instead of the X5.
Don't do it

I wanted a sport when I lemoned my X5M in May. The new sport was almost a year out (with wait) at that point, so I bought an Evoque instead.

A lot of fun to drive, and great gas mileage, but in the first 7500 miles:

- MANY MANY creaks and rattles
- "Low Coolant" warning
- Rear washer doesn't spray any more
- Cabin lights randomly turn on and off while driving

Plus the technology is infuriatingly badly thought out. For example:

- Turn directions in the big LCD in the instrument cluster don't show *distance* to turn, just a graph that moves down. Scale varies, so you have to take your eyes off it to look at the main screen
- Nav directions randomly appear close to turn. No "Do I have time to pass?" support.
- It's impossible to turn down the stereo while in reverse (seriously - all controls stop working). So, if you need to concentrate backing up you need to remember to turn down before engaging.

The plus side on the tech - I can use voice commands without it randomly turning on an AM station, or going to Door Lock settings like my BMWs did ;p

My X5 is on order.... I'm coming back to BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

I also considered the new RR Sport but the leasing quotes I got I could almost lease 2 X5 for the cost of leasing a RR. And both MSRP were the same. Terrible rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Don't do it

I wanted a sport when I lemoned my X5M in May. The new sport was almost a year out (with wait) at that point, so I bought an Evoque instead.

A lot of fun to drive, and great gas mileage, but in the first 7500 miles:

- MANY MANY creaks and rattles
- "Low Coolant" warning
- Rear washer doesn't spray any more
- Cabin lights randomly turn on and off while driving

Plus the technology is infuriatingly badly thought out. For example:

- Turn directions in the big LCD in the instrument cluster don't show *distance* to turn, just a graph that moves down. Scale varies, so you have to take your eyes off it to look at the main screen
- Nav directions randomly appear close to turn. No "Do I have time to pass?" support.
- It's impossible to turn down the stereo while in reverse (seriously - all controls stop working). So, if you need to concentrate backing up you need to remember to turn down before engaging.

The plus side on the tech - I can use voice commands without it randomly turning on an AM station, or going to Door Lock settings like my BMWs did ;p

My X5 is on order.... I'm coming back to BMW
Appreciate 0