BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #1
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Carplay not at all what I expected

I just completed my EVO retrofit and have been playing around with Carplay. While using it I lose half the functionality of my HUD. No more music list, no more nav directions, etc. I also don't get any voice directions with nav so I constantly have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen to make sure I'm not missing my turns.

Is there something I'm missing here? This feels like a downgrade compared to just using BT music and factory nav...
      Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
I just completed my EVO retrofit and have been playing around with Carplay. While using it I lose half the functionality of my HUD. No more music list, no more nav directions, etc. I also don't get any voice directions with nav so I constantly have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen to make sure I'm not missing my turns.

Is there something I'm missing here? This feels like a downgrade compared to just using BT music and factory nav...
1. If you use Apple Maps, it won't show up in your HUD. I don't use the BMW maps in any case. However, CarPlay voice directions work fine for me. I can also see the music list from Apple Music and can use the HUD controls etc...to change songs.

2. I use Siri and that works fine

3. I had it coded to have CarPlay in full screen, which to me is a big deal. I also coded various quick launch buttons to launch Apple Maps, Phone, Music etc...

I would not have my X5 or any other car without CarPlay...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #3
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK that makes a little more sense. Maybe I have a coding issue. I have no voice directions at all and no music list in the HUD.
      Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
1. If you use Apple Maps, it won't show up in your HUD. I don't use the BMW maps in any case. However, CarPlay voice directions work fine for me. I can also see the music list from Apple Music and can use the HUD controls etc...to change songs.

2. I use Siri and that works fine

3. I had it coded to have CarPlay in full screen, which to me is a big deal. I also coded various quick launch buttons to launch Apple Maps, Phone, Music etc...

I would not have my X5 or any other car without CarPlay...
The HUD does not show up in the image…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:41 AM   #5
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
I can also see the music list from Apple Music and can use the HUD controls etc...to change songs.
Could you please confirm if you have the full music list? I only see the current song and arrows to go back a song or advance a song. I can’t select a specific song through the HUD and the info I’ve found suggests it’s not possible through CarPlay.

I did get the audio directions figured out!