03-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #45
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
no, they look OK to me too. And I bet they'd look good on my black sapphire... wonder if I just shouldn't get 'em. More pics would be appreciated!
It is a bit dark now. Will try again tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #46
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm glad some of you think it looks ok... I have been sitting on the fence on the look.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #47
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

They look pretty slim while still being effective it seems. That helps a lot!

Also, they are finished in a nice material rather than an ugly shiny rubber.

I definitely wouldn't colour match them.

As I didn't wrap my car I am tempted to add these. I'm already seeing marks 1000km in.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #48
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
They look pretty slim while still being effective it seems. That helps a lot!

Also, they are finished in a nice material rather than an ugly shiny rubber.

I definitely wouldn't colour match them.

As I didn't wrap my car I am tempted to add these. I'm already seeing marks 1000km in.
Yeah.. if you do a long freeway trip that is when it could affect you the most. I learnt the hard way. Small price to protect the paint. The cost is about the same regardless if you do the wrap for the rockers and bottom of the doors or the flaps. I think the flaps will give more protection. I'm just not sure about how it looks yet. It is starting to grow on me.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #49
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesoM View Post
Yeah.. if you do a long freeway trip that is when it could affect you the most. I learnt the hard way. Small price to protect the paint. The cost is about the same regardless if you do the wrap for the rockers and bottom of the doors or the flaps. I think the flaps will give more protection. I'm just not sure about how it looks yet. It is starting to grow on me.
People haven't reported on the F85 long enough yet to have the results the E70 M had, but if it is similar, the mudflaps will reduce the damage, but not eliminate it. On the E70, rocks still managed to sneak under the front mudflaps and fly up damaging the rear wheel arches, rocker panels, and doors, albeit significantly less than if the mudflaps were not there.

I do not have mudflaps on my F85, I live on Cape Cod, where they use little salt, but tons of sand on the roads in the winter, and I have a half mile long dirt driveway to my home, and my vehicle has no damage whatsoever from "sandblasting", because it is thoroughly wrapped in XPel Utlimate. I have just shy of 10k miles on my vehicle. Those of us who wrapped our vehicles with a PPF, particularly XPel Ultimate, upon delivery, will all tell you similar stories. We highly recommend spending the ~$1k to cover the areas prone to damage, It retains the look of the vehicle, and, unlike the mudflaps, provides 100% protection while retaining the sporty look of the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #50
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are the pics during the daytime. What do you guys/gals think? A keeper?
I would agree that a wrap is always the best option.

I have had 3 E70s and none of them experienced this before... mainly due to the fact they all had running boards IMO. If I knew what I know now I would have done so. .. now with the damage in place already it doesn't make as much sense. If BMW repaints my doors I may reconsider.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #51
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks for all the pics. The biggest issue however is that they're all up close.

Would you mind parking the car somewhere open, driveway even.

It'd be great to see the car from all angle from a few feet back rather than up close.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #52
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I actually think they look good unpainted. I will have the dealer install these at delivery. Hurry and get them ElisiX so I can see how they look on carbon!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #53
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the pics. The biggest issue however is that they're all up close.

Would you mind parking the car somewhere open, driveway even.

It'd be great to see the car from all angle from a few feet back rather than up close.
elisiX Here are the pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #54
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Yes, I have the Xpel Ultimate on my F85, and specifically covered the rockers and lower halves of the doors, as well as other high impact areas.

I have the 20" Winter wheels/tires and the 21" for the rest of the year.
AwesomeM3 need your thoughts. I know this is all subjective. Almost all folks we have seen the car in person said keep the mud flaps even if i wrap the rockers and lower doors. your thoughts?

So i had an interesting conversation with the body shop that does most BMW's locally. He said in looking at the damage and if I were to proceed, he would have to paint 6 panels... 4 doors and 2 rockers. That is about "half" the car. He said if it were him he would not do it... in his opinion factory paint is better than and "new" paint. He said before I go crazy and repaint the car I should get one of the door sections wrapped first, if I am ok with the results that would save painting half the car.

Today I got the car in the wash and I was able to use a buffer and was able to get post of the "white"specks gone. It was able smoothen the bumps that had speckled the door. Yes i know I probably took some clear coat off. ... now it looks a whole lot better. I will be at the wrap place first thing in the morning to get the door done.. and if it looks good, rockers and bottom part of the doors will follow.

So here lies the mud flap question, should I put the flaps back on when he is done.. and if I am keeping the flaps on perhaps he can wrap around the flaps saving the work of having to get new adhesive for the flaps when I reattach. I am really torn. I know if I have flaps and wrap I will highly unlikely have another issue. With the flaps off and just the wrap will it get damaged in time?

Either way any opinions on this is grateful.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #55
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
AwesomeM3 need your thoughts. I know this is all subjective. Almost all folks we have seen the car in person said keep the mud flaps even if i wrap the rockers and lower doors. your thoughts?

So i had an interesting conversation with the body shop that does most BMW's locally. He said in looking at the damage and if I were to proceed, he would have to paint 6 panels... 4 doors and 2 rockers. That is about "half" the car. He said if it were him he would not do it... in his opinion factory paint is better than and "new" paint. He said before I go crazy and repaint the car I should get one of the door sections wrapped first, if I am ok with the results that would save painting half the car.

Today I got the car in the wash and I was able to use a buffer and was able to get post of the "white"specks gone. It was able smoothen the bumps that had speckled the door. Yes i know I probably took some clear coat off. ... now it looks a whole lot better. I will be at the wrap place first thing in the morning to get the door done.. and if it looks good, rockers and bottom part of the doors will follow.

So here lies the mud flap question, should I put the flaps back on when he is done.. and if I am keeping the flaps on perhaps he can wrap around the flaps saving the work of having to get new adhesive for the flaps when I reattach. I am really torn. I know if I have flaps and wrap I will highly unlikely have another issue. With the flaps off and just the wrap will it get damaged in time?

Personally, I think the mud flaps look pretty good and don't detract from the sporty and aggressive looks of the X5M. I would say keep the mud flaps after the PPF is installed. I have some marks on the PPF from where stones have gotten kicked up, so I think your mud flaps should help with that issue.

Regarding repainting the doors and rockers, that's a tough call. I think it depends on your personal preference, and if the paint shop can match the rest of the car. It also depends on how bad the "sandblasted" areas look, even after you buffed them. The PPF will not hide any of the pits already caused by the stones, keep that in mind.

Also, remember that if you have the panels repainted, you should really wait 90 days for the paint to cure (from what I've been told). You could possible have new damage to the freshly painted panels during that time.

Hope that helps!
      03-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #56
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the updated pictures. I don't think the mud guards look bad at all.

In fact, I think they would look even less obvious on a dark car. I'm inclined to fit them.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #57
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the updated pictures. I don't think the mud guards look bad at all.

In fact, I think they would look even less obvious on a dark car. I'm inclined to fit them.
elisiX I agree with a dark car. Been sitting on the fence on a lighter one.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #58
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
elisiX Here are the pics.
This is very helpful - I keep saying it, but I think it looks great this way, even on the lighter color. For some reason, I prefer it unpainted, to me it seems more out of place when paint matched.

Considering my wife's F85 will be a lease, I don't want to dump too much money on PPF - doing just the rockers and wheel arch is an option of course, but seems like the lower door would be an issue as well. Partial coverage of a panel is a pet peeve for me, I personally just don't like the way it looks. I hate seeing obvious creases such as on a hood, on a door probably a lot less obvious as there is a crease and Im assuming they cut along that line.

I will do mud flaps at delivery, the Opti Coat since it will be black, plus Suntek PPF on the headlights, front side rear wheel arch and the headlights.

Im guessing this will run me about $1500ish, which is fair to keep my OCD levels at a minimum for a three year lease.
      03-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #59
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
elisiX I agree with a dark car. Been sitting on the fence on a lighter one.
Ditto. I may give em shot on my sapphire black rig. I think they run about $70 a pair, right? Not too much to spend if I end up not liking them, especially if they do prevent some damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #60
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Ditto. I may give em shot on my sapphire black rig. I think they run about $70 a pair, right? Not too much to spend if I end up not liking them, especially if they do prevent some damage.
AwesoM paid $72 a pair I believe - looks like MSRP is $100 a pair and saw it on GetBMWParts for $80.
      03-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #61
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:

If it was my car i personally wouldn't paint it over road rash. 99.9% of people wouldn't notice it. Too many complications in repainting, color matching. etc. I'm sure they have to remove the windows, moldings, etc it will never be the same. By chasing after these small issue could potentially turn into a bigger issue. I would just leave it alone and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #62
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14M5 View Post
If it was my car i personally wouldn't paint it over road rash. 99.9% of people wouldn't notice it. Too many complications in repainting, color matching. etc. I'm sure they have to remove the windows, moldings, etc it will never be the same. By chasing after these small issue could potentially turn into a bigger issue. I would just leave it alone and enjoy the car.
14M5 Yep.. told the dealer I no longer want a repaint. I used 4000 fine grit sand paper and wet sanded the affected area lightly. It smoothened out the "bumps" and got rid of alot of the white specks per se.
We put the PFF on and you cannot even see it anymore... well unless you are smelling it with your head on the ground

I did not put the guards back on for now. Need new double sided tape. I may have the set for sale soon :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #63
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
14M5 Yep.. told the dealer I no longer want a repaint. I used 4000 fine grit sand paper and wet sanded the affected area lightly. It smoothened out the "bumps" and got rid of alot of the white specks per se.
We put the PFF on and you cannot even see it anymore... well unless you are smelling it with your head on the ground

I did not put the guards back on for now. Need new double sided tape. I may have the set for sale soon :-)
Did you get the dealer to get BMW to pay to cover the cost for the PPF?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:02 AM   #64
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:

So did you do partial doors?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #65
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
So did you do partial doors?
PatrickC23 yep. i did partial door and rockers and partial fender. In a moment of weakness I told them to do the bumper, head lights, and part hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #66
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
PatrickC23 yep. i did partial door and rockers and partial fender. In a moment of weakness I told them to do the bumper, head lights, and part hood.
Its worth it - the front will take just as much punishment