BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
G8rdmd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Where'd my display go?!

I had to valet the car today (hate it but had to)--got in after my meeting and found my dash displays gone. What happened, anyone know where they went and how to get them back? TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Press button on end of turn signal stalk on left?
Appreciate 1
G8rdmd10.00
      08-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
G8rdmd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Press button on end of turn signal stalk on left?
Yeah, I had tried that, got nothing.

I parked the car and let it sit for about 15 minutes, just went out to check it, and the displays are all back to normal. I don't know what happened, curious if anyone else has ever had that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Yeah, happened to me and several others. There is a thread here somewhere with some info.
      08-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
bootleg gucci
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35i Luxury

I had this same issue about a week ago. Ironically, I had just valet my car for the first time during that trip. I think it might be heat related since my X5 was parked outside by valet in hot sunny weather when usually it's garaged at my home. I just posted in the F15 Issues Thread in response to member ixlr8 who posted the same issue in 2016:

"I went for a 5 hour trip 3 days ago, when I stated the car, the bottom 1/3 of the instrument cluster was blank. About 1 hr into the trip I got an error message that the car couldn't determine the position of the gear shift selector, that it might not shift properly and to contact my nearest BMW authorized dealer immediately. A few minutes later I got another error message saying that my pedestrian warning system was not functioning... I don't have that option in my car. When I got the error for pedestrian warning system the bottom 1/3 of the instrument cluster started working!!?? I then tried to use the cruise control and I got an error the CC system was not functioning and to contact my BMW dealer. Shutting off the car, waiting a minute and restarting didn't help. Shutting off the car, locking it, waiting 10 minutes and then restarting seemed to clear it up, for now. Car has about 3600 miles on it, doesn't give me the warm fuzzy's for the long run with this vehicle."
      08-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
G8rdmd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootleg gucci View Post
I had this same issue about a week ago. Ironically, I had just valet my car for the first time during that trip. I think it might be heat related since my X5 was parked outside by valet in hot sunny weather when usually it's garaged at my home. I just posted in the F15 Issues Thread in response to member ixlr8 who posted the same issue in 2016:

"I went for a 5 hour trip 3 days ago, when I stated the car, the bottom 1/3 of the instrument cluster was blank. About 1 hr into the trip I got an error message that the car couldn't determine the position of the gear shift selector, that it might not shift properly and to contact my nearest BMW authorized dealer immediately. A few minutes later I got another error message saying that my pedestrian warning system was not functioning... I don't have that option in my car. When I got the error for pedestrian warning system the bottom 1/3 of the instrument cluster started working!!?? I then tried to use the cruise control and I got an error the CC system was not functioning and to contact my BMW dealer. Shutting off the car, waiting a minute and restarting didn't help. Shutting off the car, locking it, waiting 10 minutes and then restarting seemed to clear it up, for now. Car has about 3600 miles on it, doesn't give me the warm fuzzy's for the long run with this vehicle."
Well, I guess there's comfort in knowing I'm not alone... I guess... lol. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Tommyvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5, 2016 M3

I have a 2014, 28k miles, this also happened to me for the first time the other day while running errands. Locked the car for 30 minutes and started it up and it was back to normal. iDrive will also shut down from time to time but will reboot and be fine. The electronics are obviously a little wiggy on this model.
Appreciate 1
G8rdmd10.00
      09-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
SpdAddictRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

Same thing happened to me. Turned the car off when I got home, turned it back on 5 minutes later and the display was back. My SA said with so many electrical pieces in cars now, it glitches every once in a while. He said to monitor, if it happens again, bring the car in. Hasn't happened again (knock on wood).
Appreciate 1
G8rdmd10.00
      09-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
G8rdmd
United_States
Rep

Well, glad to know it's not just my X5. I guess as lots have said, there are just bugs in the electronics sometimes. I can understand it, it's basically a twin-turbo I-6 propelled computer on wheels. Hell, if I have to reset my iPhone every now and then, why not the Bimmer
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
bootleg gucci
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35i Luxury

Sorry to keep this thread going, but I wanted to update the status of my X5. I brought my vehicle in for the 2nd Year maintenance service and mentioned the instrument cluster issue with the digital display on bottom going blank and coming back an hour later but half of safety systems disabled with drive gear indicator error.

SA offered to have his tech reinstall the software and gave me a 2017 loaner X5 (idrive 5.0 with touchscreen is a nice update btw).

This service was supposed to take 4-12 hours max to reinstall the X5 software and currently it's been 2+ days! I'm kind of worried they messed something up. Anyone take a gander at what could go wrong at BMW service?
      09-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
Tommyvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5, 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootleg gucci View Post
Sorry to keep this thread going, but I wanted to update the status of my X5. I brought my vehicle in for the 2nd Year maintenance service and mentioned the instrument cluster issue with the digital display on bottom going blank and coming back an hour later but half of safety systems disabled with drive gear indicator error.

SA offered to have his tech reinstall the software and gave me a 2017 loaner X5 (idrive 5.0 with touchscreen is a nice update btw).

This service was supposed to take 4-12 hours max to reinstall the X5 software and currently it's been 2+ days! I'm kind of worried they messed something up. Anyone take a gander at what could go wrong at BMW service?
I've experienced a software update failing, so they had to do it a second time. I wouldn't worry too much at this point, but you might want to ask your SA why its taking longer than expected
Appreciate 0