BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-07-2024, 01:51 PM   #1
heple
Rep
Drives: 2013 F15 3.0d

30d - Replacement N57 engine, anything i need to be aware of?

So the Vacuum pump has failed on my 30d N57 engine, this is a pretty significant part to change given the vacuum pump is part of the oil pump on the crack on this engine (bring back the M57!). The engine has 180k miles on it, so is generally at the later part of it life, so i have a few options

1) Drop the subframe and replace the oil pump
2) Take engine out replace oil pump and chains
3) Take the engine out and replace with a low mileage engine from a running salvage car.

I'm looking at option 3. So my question is, is there anything unique about the F15 variant of the 30d N57, or can i use any 30d N57 from the f series range as the replacement?

Looking at RealOEM the replacement short N57D30A engine is only listed as being fitted to the F15 & F16 but when i look at the individual parts like, block & cylinder head they are showing as being used across the whole f series range, which is making me think i am good with any 30d engine from the f series range.

Any help with the above would be much appreciated

Thanks

Craig
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 05:17 PM   #2
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I understand your position but something to take in mind .... diesel engines or even gasoline engines live much more than 180k .... a well maintained diesel engine can last 500k w/o major repairs.
go with option 2 because wont be much harder than 1. chain is not that bad .... we just see on internet the bad cases which scare people .... unless you hear some noise.
if decided to go with option 3 pm me ... I may buy your used engine
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2024, 08:05 PM   #3
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

If you pull the engine, might as well change the pump, chains, chain gears, valve cover gasket and other seals. Engine should then outlast the car.

Parts will set you back $1k or so, it’s all labor. Specials tools, maybe $150.

While the engine is out you can even clean out the dpf, so that will be good as new.

It’s a big project, if you have a day job and a spare car, expect it to be out of service for a month if you are gonna do it.

I’d do a vacuum leak check of that plastic pipe from the pump to the brake cylinder. The pipe is known to crack. It might be just that…

That will save you a lot of work
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 02:47 PM   #4
heple
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
If you pull the engine, might as well change the pump, chains, chain gears, valve cover gasket and other seals. Engine should then outlast the car.

Parts will set you back $1k or so, it’s all labor. Specials tools, maybe $150.

While the engine is out you can even clean out the dpf, so that will be good as new.

It’s a big project, if you have a day job and a spare car, expect it to be out of service for a month if you are gonna do it.

I’d do a vacuum leak check of that plastic pipe from the pump to the brake cylinder. The pipe is known to crack. It might be just that…

That will save you a lot of work
Pipe is fine, removed it to check for leaks and ensure the check valve at the base of it was working, then ran the engine can put my thumb over the hole no vacuum there whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 03:08 PM   #5
heple
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4forum View Post
I understand your position but something to take in mind .... diesel engines or even gasoline engines live much more than 180k .... a well maintained diesel engine can last 500k w/o major repairs.
go with option 2 because wont be much harder than 1. chain is not that bad .... we just see on internet the bad cases which scare people .... unless you hear some noise.
if decided to go with option 3 pm me ... I may buy your used engine
Currently looking into the difference between just doing the oil pump vs removing the engine. Looks as though its suspension, transfer box and driveshafts need to be removed to get to the sump, so agreed could be just as easy to take the engine out from the top.

I'm not convinced on longevity of the N57 especially when compared to M57 as i have a 300k M57 535d which is in great condition. My N57 has egr off and dpf delete but intake system needs cleaning every 24mths, oil consumption is higher than the M57 and we know the chains don't last as long, and of course the N57 is a pig to work on compared to the M57. Both are serviced at 6mth intervals within 6k miles.

I was thinking salvage engine because it just feels like my n57 is tired and don't like the fact that it consumes oil. Some of this is leaking valve cover but think its burning some.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:24 PM   #6
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Good discussion. It also depends on usage ... soot is normally generated under high load low rpm or short driving cycles. I had my intake cleaned with 100k was really dirty. had to remove intake for other reason after 30k ...intake was in pretty good shape.

If there is noticeable oil consuptiom normally is burning .. check deposit on exhaust.
Appreciate 0