BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

In my case, after almost two years of use, NV has become an important safety assist -- but it may be useful to clear one misunderstanding I often read here.

NV is ALWAYS on - you do not need to turn on the NV infrared image in the NAV display to activate it.

The system, as far as I know, offers that IR image in the NAV display just to show you "what it sees" -- but you should NOT look at the NAV display to get its warnings - just look at the HUD.

Why the European feature of pinpointing the danger with a thin high-intensity beam is not allowed in the US remains a mystery to me, as it takes away 1/2 of the NV's warning function. Pencil beam retrofitting seems difficult.

For those that played with IR films in their youth (alas, not available in digital cameras), it shows the same things: when you drive in a hazy day through a mountainous area, you can see the invisible mountains in the NAV display!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #24
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Here's the million dollar question - can this thing be retrofitted or is it impossible or just too expensive?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #25
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Here's the million dollar question - can this thing be retrofitted or is it impossible or just too expensive?
Last time I checked it was $3-4k range. It can be retrofitted cheaper if you just want a night vision camera without the integration of passenger detection etc. When I had it on my F01, it was more of a pain than benefit. Think downtown, curvy roads, passengers on side walks, and system constantly firing, warning and sometimes braking.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #26
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
Last time I checked it was $3-4k range. It can be retrofitted cheaper if you just want a night vision camera without the integration of passenger detection etc. When I had it on my F01, it was more of a pain than benefit. Think downtown, curvy roads, passengers on side walks, and system constantly firing, warning and sometimes braking.
I have pedestrian detection already (full driver's assistance package). Does that it make it easier/cheaper to add night vision?
Appreciate 0