04-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #45
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Looks like Xpel has the patterns now for the X5M. http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...e=4&model=3332 I had a custom install on my X5M a few weeks ago since the patterns weren't available yet. Love this stuff! Highly recommend Xpel, and if you're in the tri-state NJ/PA/DE area, give Glen a call at Clear Choice Detailing to do the install http://clearchoicedetailing.com/
I have to say I have not been happy at all with Xpel. I had 3M installed on my 2010 X5M and in three years never had an issue, no problem no peeling no holes in it nothing. Still looked great the day I traded it in. I went with Xpel on my 2013 X5M Xpel and has been problematic since the start, chunks and holes have formed where large debris have hit it, mainly I'm talking about the lower rocker panels. It is peeling at this point. All of the edges seem almost frayed. The self healing isn't so self healing. Now this might well be a faulty installation but the installer for it was supposedly the best in the area and that doesn't address the fact that the product itself is deteriorating. Just my $0.02. Definitely going 3M on my next car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #46
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Sorry, but I'm confused. Have you guys wrapped your cars AND also done a ceramic protection (like CQuartz)? What's the difference? Are there reasons that you would get both?

How do the films (e.g., Xpel, 3M) feel to the touch? Do they lack the luster of the normal paint finish (i.e., do they tend towards being matte as opposed to shiny)?

Is it easy to look at a car and say "oh, that definitely has a clear bra on?"
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #47
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
Sorry, but I'm confused. Have you guys wrapped your cars AND also done a ceramic protection (like CQuartz)? What's the difference? Are there reasons that you would get both?

How do the films (e.g., Xpel, 3M) feel to the touch? Do they lack the luster of the normal paint finish (i.e., do they tend towards being matte as opposed to shiny)?

Is it easy to look at a car and say "oh, that definitely has a clear bra on?"
XPel ultimate has the same finished look as the clear coat on the vehicle's paint. It should be waxed, and treated just like paint, to keep it looking its best. When applied correctly, the only way to tell that an area is covered, is to look for a seam, which there should be very few of, or look for the edge of the sheet of film.

The ceramic coating is oftentimes applied over the film, and on the parts of the vehicle that were not covered in a paint protection film. It is just another layer of protection. The ceramic coating is more to prevent swirl marks and micro-scratches, than to protect from large chips from branches and rocks.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #48
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
XPel ultimate has the same finished look as the clear coat on the vehicle's paint. It should be waxed, and treated just like paint, to keep it looking its best. When applied correctly, the only way to tell that an area is covered, is to look for a seam, which there should be very few of, or look for the edge of the sheet of film.

The ceramic coating is oftentimes applied over the film, and on the parts of the vehicle that were not covered in a paint protection film. It is just another layer of protection. The ceramic coating is more to prevent swirl marks and micro-scratches, than to protect from large chips from branches and rocks.
Great explanation!

By the way, I did both. I highly recommend a PPF and a ceramic coating.
      08-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #49
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Great explanation!

By the way, I did both. I highly recommend a PPF and a ceramic coating.
Did you do them both at the same time or can you do one at a time?

Thanks guys. I'm in the same boat as Urban. I will be picking up at the Performance Center and driving home. I'm looking into Extreme Colors for a wrap but there are no CQuartz locations close.

I'm impressed with the information on CQuartz so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #50
Vassilis1971
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I wrapped mine is 3m pro and followed with CQuartz. Love the results.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #51
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassilis1971 View Post
I wrapped mine is 3m pro and followed with CQuartz. Love the results.
What areas did you wrap? Hood, front bumper, mirrors and lower doors? Are there other areas of concern?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #52
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:

Thanks guys. I'm in the same boat as Urban. I will be picking up at the Performance Center and driving home. I'm looking into Extreme Colors for a wrap but there are no CQuartz locations close.

Luca

I have CQuartz Finest on my car. Also have Xpel Ultimate on the hood, mirrors, door cups, and front bumper panels. Quite happy with the CQuartz. Have not been impressed with the Xpel Ultimate. You can tell what is wrapped and what's not. Being thick, I think it's easier for edges that don't get wrapped all the way around a panel to catch dirt and lift a bit (as I have noticed on the lower bumper).

Having said that I don't think I had the best installation for at least one reason: the film was applied after CQuartz was applied. I have been told that you don't get the best film adherence when you have a nano coating under it like that.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #53
Vassilis1971
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
What areas did you wrap? Hood, front bumper, mirrors and lower doors? Are there other areas of concern?
My essentials list....

Complete Headlights
Complete Hood
Complete Front Fenders
Front Bumper
Complete Rockers
B-Pillars
Partial Roof & A-Pillars
Partial Rear Fender Impact
Partial Rear Wheel Impact
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #54
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChapin View Post
Luca

I have CQuartz Finest on my car. Also have Xpel Ultimate on the hood, mirrors, door cups, and front bumper panels. Quite happy with the CQuartz. Have not been impressed with the Xpel Ultimate. You can tell what is wrapped and what's not. Being thick, I think it's easier for edges that don't get wrapped all the way around a panel to catch dirt and lift a bit (as I have noticed on the lower bumper).

Having said that I don't think I had the best installation for at least one reason: the film was applied after CQuartz was applied. I have been told that you don't get the best film adherence when you have a nano coating under it like that.
Dave,

Thanks. This is good to know. That's part of the reason I asked -- I don't think it's intuitive to know to wrap first or to do the nano coating. Now I know.

Will also look at the quality of the installation. I can imagine that any exposed seam will attract not only the eye, but the accumulation of dirt and grit.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #55
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassilis1971 View Post
My essentials list....

Complete Headlights
Complete Hood
Complete Front Fenders
Front Bumper
Complete Rockers
B-Pillars
Partial Roof & A-Pillars
Partial Rear Fender Impact
Partial Rear Wheel Impact
Thanks for the list, Vassilis! Looking at your car, I can see how a good install is virtually undetectable.

I'll make this the "must have" list for my installer and see what else he recommends.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #56
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I had the PPF installed first, then the ceramic coating a few days later.
      08-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #57
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:

Luca42, our '16 X5 M that we took Performance Center Delivery on 08.25.15 is currently at Extreme Colors in Greenville having XPEL Ulimate applied to all the vital areas. I discovered them via UrbanExtant's recommendation.

Install areas = full hood, full fenders, headlights/fog lights, full front bumper cover, mirrors, A pillars, above the windshield & pano sunroof, rocker panels which includes 10" of the bottom of the doors, fender flares (Front & Rear), and lower sides of the rear bumper cover.

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding Extreme Colors in Greenville.

Last edited by SCA; 08-26-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #58
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Luca42, our '16 X5 M that we took Performance Center Delivery on 08.25.15 is currently at Extreme Colors in Greenville having XPEL Ulimate applied to all the vital areas. I discovered them via UrbanExtant's recommendation.

Install areas = full hood, full fenders, headlights/fog lights, full front bumper cover, mirrors, A pillars, above the windshield & pano sunroof, rocker panels which includes 10" of the bottom of the doors, fender flares (Front & Rear), and lower sides of the rear bumper cover.

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding Extreme Colors in Greenville.
I will! Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #59
Rooogs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Joe, loads of thanks to you for your post about Bill at Auto Graphics.
Before Bill I had gone to a guy that was recommended to me by one of the BMW dealerships in Maryland, they promised one thing and delivered something no where near it. Pics posted below.
Compare the pics with the obvious ends of the PPF not covering portions of the paint, with Bill's work (video).
Those two little chips in the video you see may have been prevented if I'd had the PPF done sooner.

Anyways, thanks Joe for the post you posted last year. I'm grateful, and so is my M4!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #60
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooogs
Joe, loads of thanks to you for your post about Bill at Auto Graphics.
Before Bill I had gone to a guy that was recommended to me by one of the BMW dealerships in Maryland, they promised one thing and delivered something no where near it. Pics posted below.
Compare the pics with the obvious ends of the PPF not covering portions of the paint, with Bill's work (video).
Those two little chips in the video you see may have been prevented if I'd had the PPF done sooner.

Anyways, thanks Joe for the post you posted last year. I'm grateful, and so is my M4!
Your Welcome! I'm glad you liked his work!

Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #61
Rooogs
Registered
Rep

Pics of first PPF job
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #62
Rooogs
Registered
Rep

Sorry not able to post the video. I guess you could see Bill's work on his facebook page as Joe has posted previously.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #63
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Amazing that installers get away with this and charge big $$$$! Really poor install, they should be ashamed. I'm glad that Bill was able to help you and get it right. I remember the White Bentley with all the cut marks, emblems cut out by hand, ppf not wrapped into fenders, lights cut wrong with bubbles and etc......

Joe
Appreciate 0