BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #89
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport 40d 2017

In sweden nothing on a car is as important as the tires wintertime.
And I’m not talking about the looks of the tire.
No all seasons what so ever here.
No one would ever think of putting them on. Illegal as well.
Just sayin..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #90
alvav
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapa View Post
And I’m not talking about the looks of the tire.
Just sayin..
Oh no you didn’t!!! Now you’re going to get it... Wai for it...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #91
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapa View Post
And I'm not talking about the looks of the tire.
Just sayin..
I think we can all agree that Sweden and most of Canada simply don't compare to the US (unless you're in Maine). So areas like that then yes you'd be silly not to use snow tires. But yes in most the US you do not need them for daily use. May leave you in a pickle during a snow storm but when that happens usually no point in leaving home anyway. Here in Virginia Beach we got two dumps this year where it stuck with over 6" and 12" and I got around just fine with my summer run flats using controlled throttle and xdrive. Yes I did some sliding but the xdrive compensates perfectly and I never felt uncomfortable. Now if it snowed more than that around here I would probably consider other tires but it doesn't so I don't care.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #92
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport 40d 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
Oh no you didn’t!!! Now you’re going to get it... Wai for it...
Couldn't help myself...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 03:44 AM   #93
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I think we can all agree that Sweden and most of Canada simply don't compare to the US (unless you're in Maine). So areas like that then yes you'd be silly not to use snow tires. But yes in most the US you do not need them for daily use. May leave you in a pickle during a snow storm but when that happens usually no point in leaving home anyway. Here in Virginia Beach we got two dumps this year where it stuck with over 6" and 12" and I got around just fine with my summer run flats using controlled throttle and xdrive. Yes I did some sliding but the xdrive compensates perfectly and I never felt uncomfortable. Now if it snowed more than that around here I would probably consider other tires but it doesn't so I don't care.
Until a car pulls out somewhat in front of you... I'm not one to lecture but driving in snow on summers is not only putting yourself and your passengers at risk.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 06:29 AM   #94
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Unless you lived around the Great Lakes, you don't know what snow is folks.
With all due to respect to my Swedish/German/Scandinavian friends, we get snow almost every day here.
Not complaining, because that's what makes our wells pump water and not dirt!
We do get compensated though for the reasonably warm summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #95
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Quote:
Until a car pulls out somewhat in front of you... I'm not one to lecture but driving in snow on summers is not only putting yourself and your passengers at risk.
Lol yes I know. However I'm certainly not buying special tires for two weekends of snow. And I certainly don't have to worry about anyone pulling out on me when no one is on the road to begin with lol. xDrive FTW!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #96
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Quote:
Lol yes I know. However I'm certainly not buying special tires for two weekends of snow. And I certainly don't have to worry about anyone pulling out on me when no one is on the road to begin with lol. xDrive FTW!
Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, I have to replace My continental Ssr. Ride is horrible & noisy so definitely want to go with a non-runflat summer tire. I have a dedicated winter set. looking for a tire That will have a square shoulder that was mentioned in the thread. To Achieve the same look do you have to go with a runflat tire. I was looking at the new continental extreme sports hoping they have the same look as the SSR's runflat not sure if anybody went with this tire. Thanks for taking the time to read this I appreciate your advise.
Appreciate 0