BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

My door was scratched up/vandalized (what are my options?)

So the other morning I went to get in my car and noticed scratch marks on my driver side door. These marks were in an unusual tic/tac/toe or (#) pattern which leads me to believe that someone did this on purpose. Why? I have no idea. It really sucks, but that's what happens when you live in NYC and park your car on the streets.

Anyway, I would rather not put an insurance claim in as my wife had an accident last year and don't want another loss showing up on my claims history (I'm an insurance broker). This would be a comprehensive loss and my deductible is $500.

I went to a local, respected body shop and the guy said he would have to paint BOTH doors (front and back on drive side) because the scratch is too close to the rear door. He says it's the only way to make sure the paint matches and blends properly. He quoted me a figure of about $800.00. Which to me sounds insanely high for a paint job. But anyway.

I'm wondering if any of you have any advice or know of any shops in the NYC area that would do a good job for a decent price.

Here are pics of the door with the damage:

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

People are really messed up. Sorry this happened to you .

If you're willing to drop your car off in Maryland for a day or two, my friend can do it for much cheaper and make it look brand new. He does repairs like this for a living. A bit of a drive (4-5 hours depending), but up to you. I'm not familiar with any NY paint shops. Maybe someone else can step in to guide you. PM me for his email if you want to consider this option.

Last edited by opasha; 01-30-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
People are really messed up. Sorry this happened to you .

If you're willing to drop your car off in Maryland for a day or two, my friend can do it for much cheaper and make it look brand new. He does repairs like this for a living. A bit of a drive (4-5 hours depending), but up to you. I'm not familiar with any NY paint shops. Maybe someone else can step in to guide you. PM me for his email if you want to consider this option.
hey opasha,

Thanks for the post. People can be a-holes, what more can I say?

I appreciate the offer to have your friend in MD fix it, but it's just not a viable option for me to drive down there and leave the car for a few days. I'm hoping I can find someone in NYC/Long Island area to fix it for a reasonable price. I haven't gotten other quotes, but I'm hoping someone who as experience with a good shop can give me a referral rather than me looking around and the results being hit or miss. I know this community has come together to help others out in the past so that's why I'm using this forum for assistance.

Thanks again for your input.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
hey opasha,

Thanks for the post. People can be a-holes, what more can I say?

I appreciate the offer to have your friend in MD fix it, but it's just not a viable option for me to drive down there and leave the car for a few days. I'm hoping I can find someone in NYC/Long Island area to fix it for a reasonable price. I haven't gotten other quotes, but I'm hoping someone who as experience with a good shop can give me a referral rather than me looking around and the results being hit or miss. I know this community has come together to help others out in the past so that's why I'm using this forum for assistance.

Thanks again for your input.
No problem, buddy. Hopefully, my friend ROBNYC can help you with some shops since he lives in NY.
      01-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

This sucks.

Is there any scratch on the back door? No in the photos, and I don't understand the rationale to paint it if there is no scratch. If it is a matching thing, it better match anyway.
      01-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
This sucks.

Is there any scratch on the back door? No in the photos, and I don't understand the rationale to paint it if there is no scratch. If it is a matching thing, it better match anyway.
There is in the middle, but not deep.
      01-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
xdriverx I would definitely recommend visiting this Top Notch shop I have been taking various cars to for the past 4-5yrs and my cousin has a long relationship with the owner as well.
I' recommend them to my cousin who brought in his 2011 BMW 328 sedan with collision damage and came out brand new.

Pls ask for Osvaldo and mention Robinson "Mercedes guy" recommended you to him.
Say Robinson's who's Ronald's cousin he will know right away.

TOLIMA's AUTO CENTER
35-40 42ND STREET
L.I.C NY 11101
PHONE: 718.361.1950
tolimasauto.com

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
      01-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
xdriverx I would definitely recommend visiting this Top Notch shop I have been taking various cars to for the past 4-5yrs and my cousin has a long relationship with the owner as well.
I' recommend them to my cousin who brought in his 2011 BMW 328 sedan with collision damage and came out brand new.

Pls ask for Osvaldo and mention Robinson "Mercedes guy" recommended you to him.
Say Robinson's who's Ronald's cousin he will know right away.

TOLIMA's AUTO CENTER
35-40 42ND STREET
L.I.C NY 11101
PHONE: 718.361.1950
tolimasauto.com
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info. I live in LIC so this will be perfectly convenient. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and mention you sent me.

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
This sucks.

There are no scratches on the back door, but the guy said due to the proximity of the scratch next to the back door he would need to paint both doors to make sure the paint blends properly. Seems like overkill to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
There are no scratches on the back door, but the guy said due to the proximity of the scratch next to the back door he would need to paint both doors to make sure the paint blends properly. Seems like overkill to me.
How many miles are on the vehicle, it is definitely an overkill, worst is you get the front painted and see if there is a mismatch. With every paint, there is some difference expected but it should not be that drastic, if it is then right paint is not being used.

Here is what I had to deal with a while ago with my black vehicle:

Parking it on NYC street, my cost for what you see was $435 to paint the hood, front bumper, rear bumper. So $800 for this door sounds like a bit on the high side but it really depends on how deep these scratches are, mine weren't down to metal. Is your down to bare?

I also got a few things done by Larry at Garden City, he is a really nice guy, if he didn't retire yet you can check with him and ask that he use OEM paint, he is the paint shop for at least one dealer I know in L.I. 516-582-6633

Good luck and I agree NYC is full of animals. I am just thinking what would I do if I saw one of them vandalizing my vehicle? I'd probably be the one ending up in jail because even if I report them cops won't show up and I would be the one frustrated or smashing their heads against the sidewalk. I once arrived at my vehicle only to find someone put his cigarette on my hood's plastic area with melted plastic where he put his cig out...
      01-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

xdriverx , sorry to see that.
Maybe you want to consider investing in dash cam that can record during parking.
I hope ROBNYC contact can solve this problem seamlessly.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info. I live in LIC so this will be perfectly convenient. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and mention you sent me.

Thanks so much!
Perfect then I will text him tonight to let him know and your welcome.
I recommend going or calling in the early morning.

Btw, I've taken my Cadillac STS 2006 to him, my 2007 BMW 328 Sedan I bought Salvage and another cheap shop while retrofitting my tail-lights did a short on the reverse light (I promised myself never to visit anyone else but Tolima's). Took it to him he fixed the short within 2 days and great price.
He also worked and maintenance my 2011 mercedes benz c300, as well when I had my first accident last february 2014 in black ice street i had it towed to his shop.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #13
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

xdriverx and hyde, sorry to hear those bad experiences. This is the nightmare...
Appreciate 0