BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Molar Medic
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d 2015

Excessive wind noise 2015 X5 35d

Hi all,
New to forum. Coming off of two x5's. A 2001 that I drove for 70k moles and an 06 that I drove for 170k miles. Both were great cars, but the 06 was like a goog friend, never let me down.

I recently purchased a 2015 x15 35d. I have noticed annoying wind noise, turbulence and or buffeting sounds outside the drivers side door. It starts at around 40 MPH. Sometimes , I hear a slight whistling sound, that I believe is coming from air rushing between the side view mirror and door. I say this because I cane hear it when the window is in the down position. The seals and trim seem tight and purposeful. I just can't seem to pinpoint the problem. For sure the f15 is quiet except for the wind turbulence that seems to whip and smash around the door? Is this a common aerodynamic problem or issue with the f15s. Is there a solution? Or perhaps, it's one of those things that I just need to live with?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Molar_Medic, the problem is with thinner glass.
The only solution, always have your music on.
I tried to find the problem and the solution also, but there is none.
I complained to my SA, and they said that it was the tire noise.
So, I just live with it, since
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
oshiri
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d

i also had the whistling noise but it has since gone away. it was on a particularly wet and cold day (near freezing) that i had the whistling noise. i havent driven it in such conditions since and have not had the whistling noise since. maybe something to do with air density at those temperatures or the effect those temparatures have on seals? dunno...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 03:33 AM   #4
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molar Medic View Post
Hi all,
New to forum. Coming off of two x5's. A 2001 that I drove for 70k moles and an 06 that I drove for 170k miles. Both were great cars, but the 06 was like a goog friend, never let me down.

I recently purchased a 2015 x15 35d. I have noticed annoying wind noise, turbulence and or buffeting sounds outside the drivers side door. It starts at around 40 MPH. Sometimes , I hear a slight whistling sound, that I believe is coming from air rushing between the side view mirror and door. I say this because I cane hear it when the window is in the down position. The seals and trim seem tight and purposeful. I just can't seem to pinpoint the problem. For sure the f15 is quiet except for the wind turbulence that seems to whip and smash around the door? Is this a common aerodynamic problem or issue with the f15s. Is there a solution? Or perhaps, it's one of those things that I just need to live with?
What tyres and size are you running?

Currently I'm on 20" Continental Summer Tyres haven't noticed any wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

I do notice somewhat that the insulation isn't nearly as good as that of my other 2 bimmers - and I guess r33 gave me the answer I was looking for: thinner glass! It's not a deal breaker, and I just make sure I turn the Harman Kardon system on whenever I drive
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Odd, I would say this is a very quiet car, no wind noise in my car. I would also say check the rubber insulation on the door, if it is damaged or in the wrong position. My Bmw is comparable to a doubleglazed car, very quiet, except tire noise from rft.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I would agree w/ kip1. I find the F15 to be quieter than my E70. I haven't noticed any whistling. The only time I've heard wind is when I was on one of the high bridges in the area on a particularly windy day.
      10-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Mine is stone quiet. This weekend, I took it for a 1 hour drive at 80mph and even the road noise was lower than expected using the OEM run flat crap.
      10-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
cataitu
Private
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d

I also have the "wind noise " it starts around 80km/h. Couldn't find the fix and the door seals look OK to me. As for the thinner glass idea, I doubt the glass on the driver's side is thinner than the one on the passenger's side...and there is no wind noise over there.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molar Medic View Post
Hi all,

Maybe it is trim related. What trim do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Molar Medic
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d 2015

I found a problem !

Specific car : 2015 X5d 35. X line 19 inch RFT.

Besides wind buffeting sounds, I also experience a whistling sound sometimes and it occurs even if the window is down. I tracked it to a MISSING ACCESS PANAL COVER on the underside of the driver side mirror. I patched it with duct tape and the whistling problem is much improved. Of course, I'm going to get a new cover from my dealer in the morning.

Tomorrow , I am going to play around with the side vent , by covering it with tape. The side vent might look good, but cause an aerodynamic problem. My old 2006 x5 slipped though the air with ease and no annoying sounds, even though it looked like a brick. Just so odds how this car causes noisy thrbulence!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I've read other threads about window/door molding foam leaks causing wind noise/whistling.

The only noise I have noticed so far is when the passenger window is all the way down, and no passenger is in the front, the seatbelt buckle keeps banging on the side of the cabin.

An ugly solution for reducing air noise, which allows for very quiet ventilation. There are several aftermarket suppliers, and most clip on with ease.

Recommended only for those who like to have their window down a bit, to create air circulation, creating minimal sound, and allowing open windows even during rain.

It works, but it makes your car look like a taxi in ________ (<- insert name of a country you like to mock).
      10-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
Maybe it is trim related. What trim do you have?
My reason for asking is because it seems as though my X5 has, what I would describe as harmonic vibration (or wind noise?) at about 40 to 42 MPH. But it seems to be coming from the grill area as best I can tell. I don't think it comes form the window/side view mirror area. It is difficult to detect when the radio is playing and I just recently noticed it (about a week ago). I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing but it is annoying. I plan to ask about it when I'm due for service.

I have a Luxury Line, 35d.

Last edited by HansRobert; 10-09-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
TonyX6
Rep
Drives: BMX X6 5.0

I have the same problem. I did also made a post but I guess at that time not a lot of people had the new 2015 model. I have an X6 5.0 2015 and the noise is like a whistle. It comes from both side, passenger and driver.
When I went to the dealer 2 days after I bought we drove another X6 3.5 Xline( same as mine) and had the same problem. I'm supposed to bring my car in for assistance and see if they can fix it.
At this point I really think there is a problem and if we all make some complains they will be forced to look for a solution.

Ps is yours an XLine one too?
Appreciate 0