BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Finally used my pre-heat function this morning

It was below freezing this morning and the car was outside (hey, it's Georgia - that's cold) so I decided to use the pre-heat function on the 35d. I didn't notice anything different - but maybe it did fire a bit quicker. It was on for only a second or two. My pickup glow plugs stay on for about 5 - 6 seconds.

Do you guys in colder climates need it and use it?
      01-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

whats that ???? pre-heat ????? How it works ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Yes i have used It a couple of times but only the "activate instantly mode" not the "time set mode" and it worked fine accept the seat heating that is to suppose get active as well, haven't felt any heat in the seat non of the times I used it. Just to check, eu spec 30d have the settings for pre-heat in: idrive-settings-klimatecontroll-pre-heater and the you have three options: activate heat instantly when car is of---activate by start time----settings for seat heater whit pre-heat
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
Yes i have used It a couple of times but only the "activate instantly mode" not the "time set mode" and it worked fine accept the seat heating that is to suppose get active as well, haven't felt any heat in the seat non of the times I used it. Just to check, eu spec 30d have the settings for pre-heat in: idrive-settings-klimatecontroll-pre-heater and the you have three options: activate heat instantly when car is of---activate by start time----settings for seat heater whit pre-heat
@Jenya or via BMW Remote using Connected Drive - far easier and you can do it anywhere there is a wireless network.
Assuming you don't have Auxiliary Heating app lets you set departure time and will ventilate or heat car depending upon the temperature.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
Pre-heating appears when temps outside are really low. and usually takes a couple of seconds and then you can start the engine. As far as I know, it prepares the engine for this cold start. I noticed that it appears when you press the start button without pressing the break pedal. After the sign 'Pre heating' is gone, then you can step on the break and press the button again and the car should start.

Auxiliary heating warms up the passenger cabin. I am pretty sure it does not do anything to the engine. Can anyone confirm? It has two timers for preset time of departure + an 'activate now' option. You can also set those three via the remote of the auxiliary heating. Works great for me and heats up the cabin really nice.
Btw, auxiliary heating comes with auxiliary ventilation that should be able to cool your car in the summer before you get in. Yet to be tested...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssmokie View Post
Pre-heating appears when temps outside are really low. and usually takes a couple of seconds and then you can start the engine. As far as I know, it prepares the engine for this cold start. I noticed that it appears when you press the start button without pressing the break pedal. After the sign 'Pre heating' is gone, then you can step on the break and press the button again and the car should start.

Auxiliary heating warms up the passenger cabin. I am pretty sure it does not do anything to the engine. Can anyone confirm? It has two timers for preset time of departure + an 'activate now' option. You can also set those three via the remote of the auxiliary heating. Works great for me and heats up the cabin really nice.
Btw, auxiliary heating comes with auxiliary ventilation that should be able to cool your car in the summer before you get in. Yet to be tested...
Aux Heating is a separate option, at least in UK. Its not the same as the function on the BMW Remote App. With Aux Heating to get a separate 'key fob' that allows you to programme twice in one 24 period when you want your car nice and toasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Question

Has anyone in Canada been able to use the Aux. Heating feature to warm up your car? It's still a mystery I guess lol
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Has anyone in Canada been able to use the Aux. Heating feature to warm up your car? It's still a mystery I guess lol
I don't think 536 Auxiliary heating with remote control is an option in North America..could be wrong

Would make sense; if you need it anywhere its in the land of Molson, Back Bacon and Tooks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
42pilot
Captain
Rep

The pre-heat system I am talking about is the diesel glow plugs for the engine.

To activate it, keep your foot off the brake, then press the start button. You should see an indication lamp stating "Pre-heating - Please Wait" (these are the engine glow plugs). It shows in the lower left side of the dash and will go out rather quickly. The temps here in Atlanta are in the 30's so it's not critical to pre-heat the engine and the cycle time is short. If it gets below freezing, I would always use the pre-heat (diesel engine glow plugs) to take stress off the starter.

I did not get the option that allows me to plug in the block heater like my diesel pickup. This pre-heats the oil as well and is mandatory below 25 degrees - this engine needs oil for lubrication and firing the injectors.
      01-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
The pre-heat system I am talking about is the diesel glow plugs for the engine.

To activate it, keep your foot off the brake, then press the start button. You should see an indication lamp stating "Pre-heating - Please Wait" (these are the engine glow plugs). It shows in the lower left side of the dash and will go out rather quickly. The temps here in Atlanta are in the 30's so it's not critical to pre-heat the engine and the cycle time is short. If it gets below freezing, I would always use the pre-heat (diesel engine glow plugs) to take stress off the starter.

I did not get the option that allows me to plug in the block heater like my diesel pickup. This pre-heats the oil as well and is mandatory below 25 degrees - this engine needs oil for lubrication and firing the injectors.
I didn’t now that (pre-heat) I’m going to try it tomorrow, misunderstood the hole thread, sorry
      01-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
I didn’t now that (pre-heat) I’m going to try it tomorrow, misunderstood the hole thread, sorry
I wasn't very clear - no problem. I used the terminology that shows on my dash. Normally I would just say "the glow-plugs" since it's diesel.