BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

N63TU needing a fuel pump and hoses - advice

I got the drive train malfunction fault, and a limp mode on a WOT overtake of a semi the other day. 55k miles 50i msport.

Ran the codes and got P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure too low confirmed code and pending codes on both banks being too low.

Need new HPFP, covered by CPO. Also said I need two hoses, that have a leak, and those are not covered under CPO (little frustrating) and that they are ~$800 to replace. The crank case ventilation hose was recently replaced, so it is not that.

Any idea what these are and how difficult it is to get to them myself?
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy191.50
      03-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Ask them for the old hoses. They may be trying to make an extra buck.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
I got the drive train malfunction fault, and a limp mode on a WOT overtake of a semi the other day. 55k miles 50i msport.

Ran the codes and got P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure too low confirmed code and pending codes on both banks being too low.

Need new HPFP, covered by CPO. Also said I need two hoses, that have a leak, and those are not covered under CPO (little frustrating) and that they are ~$800 to replace. The crank case ventilation hose was recently replaced, so it is not that.

Any idea what these are and how difficult it is to get to them myself?
$800 for hoses huh. Hmm what hoses? Are they attached to the fuel pump? If so then curious what your being charged for labor given they already have to detach all that stuff anyway.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
$800 for hoses huh. Hmm what hoses? Are they attached to the fuel pump? If so then curious what your being charged for labor given they already have to detach all that stuff anyway.
That is kinda my frustration. I will ask for the hoses back and post the part numbers once I get it back.

Interesting that I seem to be about the only one with a HPFP replacement on the N63TU
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I had Drivetrain Malfunction come up which required a new fuel pump. Didn't say I needed new hoses though. It was under warranty at the time...
      03-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
fantaxp7
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive50i Msport

I just got finished with an interesting journey myself. 2014 X5 M-Sport 5.0

First thing I noticed was a loud screeching noise coming from my engine, turned out it was a leak in a hose. My local shop had mentioned these hoses needing to be replaced as they crack over time. We just put shrink tube over for the time being and I was good to go for a few months.

Then after a couple months I got the drive train malfunction. It would come on and go away. After a couple times of feeling aggressive misfires I brought it to the shop to have all the hoses replaced and spark plugs as well...total was around $1,000. Not too bad.

After that work was done it felt OK until I got onto the highway and tried to test to see if my speed was back....misfiring like crazy with the drive train code. Bring it back to the shop and they do a smoke test to see the where I may be losing air, they see the two air intakes are leaking and in rough shape. They were literally cracked. Cost around $200 for parts, came out to around $400. total.

They keep the car overnight, all excited to pick it up...But then they call me and say to get it to BMW asap. The car got so much worse. It wreaked of gas, drive train error, shaking violently. I drove it home as I take all back roads ( and I called BMW to ask if it was ok and they said as long as engine light wasn't flashing) and it was scary. THEN THE THING DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION. I was lucky enough to roll through, turn off the engine and get it going again, half a mile away from my home.

So by now I am terrified. I have it towed to BMW not sure what will come of it. My local shop said it really looks like fuel injectors and luckily there is an extended warranty on those and it would be stupid expensive if not. They also mentioned it may be the two fuel pumps as you mentioned and if it was that then bring it back to them as they can do it much cheaper.

Luckily BMW agreed it was the fuel injectors, replaced them all under warranty so everything was free...

And to just add to the misery, they call me to tell me car is all set, I drive 45 minutes to the BMW dealership, arrive at 4:55, the guy who goes to get my car says "wait a minute" and notices the check engine light is back on.... They say "oh well that won't do, we can't give it to you now. Someone probably forgot to clear the code!" by that time it was 5 pm and the shop was closed....drove 45 minutes back home without my car

Turns out though it wasn't just someone forgetting to clear the code, one of the fuel injectors they put in failed. They fixed, I've had it for 3-4 days now and all feels good again.

Fun times.
Appreciate 4
BimmerTy191.50
F15GorDe261.00
      03-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaxp7 View Post

First thing I noticed was a loud screeching noise coming from my engine, turned out it was a leak in a hose. My local shop had mentioned these hoses needing to be replaced as they crack over time. We just put shrink tube over for the time being and I was good to go for a few months.

Then after a couple months I got the drive train malfunction. It would come on and go away. After a couple times of feeling aggressive misfires I brought it to the shop to have all the hoses replaced and spark plugs as well...total was around $1,000. Not too bad.

After that work was done it felt OK until I got onto the highway and tried to test to see if my speed was back....misfiring like crazy with the drive train code. Bring it back to the shop and they do a smoke test to see the where I may be losing air, they see the two air intakes are leaking and in rough shape. They were literally cracked. Cost around $200 for parts, came out to around $400. total.

They keep the car overnight, all excited to pick it up...But then they call me and say to get it to BMW asap. The car got so much worse. It wreaked of gas, drive train error, shaking violently. I drove it home as I take all back roads ( and I called BMW to ask if it was ok and they said as long as engine light wasn't flashing) and it was scary. THEN THE THING DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION. I was lucky enough to roll through, turn off the engine and get it going again, half a mile away from my home.

So by now I am terrified. I have it towed to BMW not sure what will come of it. My local shop said it really looks like fuel injectors and luckily there is an extended warranty on those and it would be stupid expensive if not. They also mentioned it may be the two fuel pumps as you mentioned and if it was that then bring it back to them as they can do it much cheaper.

Luckily BMW agreed it was the fuel injectors, replaced them all under warranty so everything was free...

And to just add to the misery, they call me to tell me car is all set, I drive 45 minutes to the BMW dealership, arrive at 4:55, the guy who goes to get my car says "wait a minute" and notices the check engine light is back on.... They say "oh well that won't do, we can't give it to you now. Someone probably forgot to clear the code!" by that time it was 5 pm and the shop was closed....drove 45 minutes back home without my car

Turns out though it wasn't just someone forgetting to clear the code, one of the fuel injectors they put in failed. They fixed, I've had it for 3-4 days now and all feels good again.

Fun times.
That sounds like this would be an absolute nightmare for someone without an extended warranty.. *ahem* like myself. Did you see how much the cost of the fuel injector replacements would have been?
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
fantaxp7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
That sounds like this would be an absolute nightmare for someone without an extended warranty.. *ahem* like myself. Did you see how much the cost of the fuel injector replacements would have been?
Not certain, however maybe I said that wrong. BMW extended the warranty on that specific thing, the fuel injectors. 10 years or 120,000 miles I believe.

They also changed the spark plugs as part of the service.

I also am out of warranty.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      03-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Fun times.
I assume your first set of hoses needing replacement were the crankcase ventilation hoses. Would you happen to have the intake tubes part numbers they replaced for you? Not sure how bad they have to be to have a serious issue.

Do the injectors have an extended warranty coverage?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
fantaxp7
Rep

Quote:
I assume your first set of hoses needing replacement were the crankcase ventilation hoses. Would you happen to have the intake tubes part numbers they replaced for you? Not sure how bad they have to be to have a serious issue.

Yes the fuel injectors have an extended warranty coverage, I believe it was 10 years or 120,000 miles.

I'll try to find out on the intake tubes, I have an emailed receipt that isn't detailed.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
fantaxp7
Rep

Quote:

Here is the shop's reply:

"13 71 7 638 568, Air Intake Hose

13 71 7 638 569, Air Intake Hose

11158647962, vent pipe

11158647298, connecting pipe

These are the parts, the vent pipe and the connecting pipe are the ones that BMW updated from that brittle corrugated plastic to a rubber material...not cheap though!

On the air intake hoses the news ones I got had updated orange seals, which I think are a Viton material that were better than the old ones, which seemed to just be rubber."
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Here is the shop's reply:

"13 71 7 638 568, Air Intake Hose

13 71 7 638 569, Air Intake Hose

11158647962, vent pipe

11158647298, connecting pipe

These are the parts, the vent pipe and the connecting pipe are the ones that BMW updated from that brittle corrugated plastic to a rubber material...not cheap though!

On the air intake hoses the news ones I got had updated orange seals, which I think are a Viton material that were better than the old ones, which seemed to just be rubber."
Ya those breather hoses can be done DIY. It's on the thread done by myself and one other guy who actually wrote it up. And yes quite expensive for what they are!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ya those breather hoses can be done DIY. It's on the thread done by myself and one other guy who actually wrote it up. And yes quite expensive for what they are!
Those are the same exact intake tubes that I needed to have done and I guess CPO does not cover these, as they are claimed to be rubber, looked like plastic to me
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #14
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I was under the impression cpo from BMW extended the factory warranty? If its extending the "factory" warranty, doesn't that cover everything except tires, brakes, etc, etc? So some hoses aren't covered? What else isn't covered?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Those are the same exact intake tubes that I needed to have done and I guess CPO does not cover these, as they are claimed to be rubber, looked like plastic to me
The original ones were hard plastic. The revised ones are rubber; they are much better.
      03-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
The original ones were hard plastic. The revised ones are rubber; they are much better.
If the OEM were plastic, I would expect the CPO coverage pick them up, as it clearly says rubber engine hoses and ones under vacuum are not covered. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If the OEM were plastic, I would expect the CPO coverage pick them up, as it clearly says rubber engine hoses and ones under vacuum are not covered. Interesting.
The original ones are plastic. The replacement ones are rubber.

Regardless, the hoses are under vacuum so they would not be covered as per your description of the CPO coverage.
Maverik2594133.00
      03-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I was under the impression cpo from BMW extended the factory warranty? If its extending the "factory" warranty, doesn't that cover everything except tires, brakes, etc, etc? So some hoses aren't covered? What else isn't covered?
CPO is not a simple extension of the oem factory warranty. It is not bumper to bumper. It covers the majority of items but not everything.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
The original ones are plastic. The replacement ones are rubber.

Regardless, the hoses are under vacuum so they would not be covered as per your description of the CPO coverage.
Are they under vacuum? I guess maybe a weak vacuum from turbos, surprising that anything under vacuum would be hard plastic and looks like they are still not very tightly sealed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #20
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
CPO is not a simple extension of the oem factory warranty. It is not bumper to bumper. It covers the majority of items but not everything.
I read the warranty now. I'm an idiot for thinking it was. Lol. Better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #21
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are they under vacuum? I guess maybe a weak vacuum from turbos, surprising that anything under vacuum would be hard plastic and looks like they are still not very tightly sealed.
Hard plastic is fine for being under vacuum. Majority of vacuum cleaners have plastic tubing. The only problem is the location of the tubing is next to the super hot turbos and that constant hot cold cycling is the problem for hard plastic.

Anyways you can try to get them covered, but I think they would be get out of paying for it quite easily.
      04-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #22
fantaxp7
Rep

Update on my issues (sorry for hijacking thread) yesterday the drive train malfunction error popped up again along with the lowered power.

Brought to BMW yesterday, today they called and said high pressure fuel pump. Will have my local indy shop quote and do.

So I'll have done the whole spectrum here of possible issues I've read online related to the drive train malfunction.
Appreciate 0