03-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
B&O Center Tweeter Rattle :(

I'm pretty sure I know the exact moment I had the music & bass too high a few weeks ago that blew the front center Bang & Olufsen tweeter. It's gotten noticeably worse over the past few days and rattles constantly - especially noticeable with spoken works on the radio. I can put my finger on the cone for a moment and that stops the rattle, but then it inevitably returns.

Does anyone have an recommendation on a repair or replacement that won't cost me an appendage?
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats

Last edited by BimmerTy; 03-26-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Bring it to dealership if your car is still in warranty

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

If its not covered under warranty, find a reputable Indy shop to take a look. You really wont know till you open it up to see what kind of speaker you will be replacing (watts/ohms/size). Unless someone else here on the forums knows (there may be!).

Did your tweeter or midrange blow?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2458

Here is a pretty good picture of it opened up a bit;

Tweeter possibly a 4ohm, not sure on watts;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F06-F10...ss!15122!US!-1

Same with the mid range (4ohm);
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F01-F02...pe!15122!US!-1

If mine died, I would first try to get it fixed under warranty, else I would upgrade. SonicElectronics states center speakers are 4 in & 1in. Select the "Center Dash" button at the top of the page.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_...ers-4-ohm.html

Good luck and let us know what you do!
      03-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Unfortunately it's out of warranty.

Pretty sure it's the tweeter. Looking online - looks like they only sell the center speaker as a whole unit. I can't find individual parts for B&O.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...65#65139276506
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Unfortunately it's out of warranty.

Pretty sure it's the tweeter. Looking online - looks like they only sell the center speaker as a whole unit. I can't find individual parts for B&O.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...65#65139276506
I did find a tweeter and mid for B&O but it may not work for x5/x6 and is overpriced!

Yeah, cheapest for almost $700. Are you sure there is no debris in the tweeter? If this were mine, I would carefully open it all up and replace that 1 bad tweeter with a similarly rated one. Let us know what you decide and good luck!
      04-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Mr.X6
Private
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I know the exact moment I had the music & bass too high a few weeks ago that blew the front center Bang & Olufsen tweeter. It's gotten noticeably worse over the past few days and rattles constantly - especially noticeable with spoken works on the radio. I can put my finger on the cone for a moment and that stops the rattle, but then it inevitably returns.

Does anyone have an recommendation on a repair or replacement that won't cost me an appendage?
Hey, take a look at your pm if you can. Ty

E71 5.0i
Dinan Stage 2
Genuine Y Spoke 375 Rims
Black Line Tail Lights
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:12 AM   #7
drkumbasar
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 2016 4.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X6 View Post
Quote:

Hey, take a look at your pm if you can. Ty
Mine was also vibrating with strong bass I opened the cover by pulling it from front first and then with a towel I pulled circumferentially and the cover was off without ant damage. I put self sticking clothy sticker to all potentially vibrating areas and the vibration, rattle gone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:

I would scoop this one up quick before it sells.. $399 and all of your problems are solved.. Will take you all of 5 minutes to install it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153793498649

Last edited by ~ViO~; 03-22-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0