BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #45
Baggio
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x5

I picked up my 2017 X5 a couple months ago. It came with the B&O system which I was pretty excited about, but I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with it.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine, but given the cost of that upgrade when the car was new I expected so much more.

I basically exclusively listen to music in the car through Apple Car Play and I find some music sounds significantly better than others. Some just sounds like it is missing so much.

If I had to pick between my X5 B&O system and the Bose system in my 2017 Tahoe I'd pick the Tahoe. I never expected to say that but its true. Especially since the Bose system was standard on my model of Tahoe, and I believe the X5 B&O was a 5K upgrade when new here in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #46
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
I picked up my 2017 X5 a couple months ago. It came with the B&O system which I was pretty excited about, but I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with it.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine, but given the cost of that upgrade when the car was new I expected so much more.

I basically exclusively listen to music in the car through Apple Car Play and I find some music sounds significantly better than others. Some just sounds like it is missing so much.

If I had to pick between my X5 B&O system and the Bose system in my 2017 Tahoe I'd pick the Tahoe. I never expected to say that but its true. Especially since the Bose system was standard on my model of Tahoe, and I believe the X5 B&O was a 5K upgrade when new here in Canada.
I have the B&O on my 2018 as well. I am planning on replacing all but the center speaker with Focal's on 3/30. I agree, it's not a great B&O system IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #47
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
I have the B&O on my 2018 as well. I am planning on replacing all but the center speaker with Focal's on 3/30. I agree, it's not a great B&O system IMHO.
How much do the focals run?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #48
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Interesting thoughts on here. Audio is extremely subjective obviously. I'll weigh in on my opinions of the B&O after living with it for 2 months. Haven't spent enough time with the EQ settings but I've got it sounding pretty good on 320kbps MP3 and FLAC files. We picked it up in a 2015 35d Jan 1st. B&O was not high on our shopping list, but the rest of the features were (Only things it's really missing is ZCW, and 417 roller shades, and Msport) so we picked it up.

Observations, clarity is very nice. HK, and most OE systems, lack highs. And I'm not talking tinny metallic dome tweeter highs, but smooth and warm highs. The B&O seems to do a pretty good job with that from what I can tell so far. Bass, while balanced, is lacking when you want real punchy volume out of it. This is honestly no surprise, I have yet to hear a factory audio system compete with even one nicely setup aftermarket 10" driver (forget 12" which is my usual go to). This is the wife's car and road trip warrior so it should be plenty as I'm the only one who plays the system above 50% anyway. Overall, very happy with the system. Is it a $4500 option I would buy from new? Not IMO. But I don't play in those tax-brackets anyway so lack of ability may be lending itself to a small opinion bias on that.

I'm wondering how the B&O would sound (and resulting graphs) if tuned with software by a pro. Anyone ever thought of doing that, or done that?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #49
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
Quote:
How much do the focals run?
Getting mine for $3,000, which includes Dynamat. It's a highly regarded shop here. I saw the quality of the HK speakers that was pulled from my friends car - they are shockingly poor quality compared to the Focals in build quality. The store owner told me that the B&O's are very similar and that I will get better bass and mids with the Focals. The Focals are a little bright, but I guess I can equalize them. I am keeping the B&O center for now.

I was told the B&O amp is more powerful so can drive better subs than the HK surround ones. But I find my friends X5 with Focals sound meaningfully better than my B&O.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #50
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting mine for $3,000, which includes Dynamat. It's a highly regarded shop here. I saw the quality of the HK speakers that was pulled from my friends car - they are shockingly poor quality compared to the Focals in build quality. The store owner told me that the B&O's are very similar and that I will get better bass and mids with the Focals. The Focals are a little bright, but I guess I can equalize them. I am keeping the B&O center for now.

I was told the B&O amp is more powerful so can drive better subs than the HK surround ones. But I find my friends X5 with Focals sound meaningfully better than my B&O.
Just finished installing Focal speakers to replace all front, rear seat and the two subs, leaving the front B&O speaker as is and the B&O grills.

I suppose the speakers need to break in a bit, but no adjustment to the EQ, the biggest difference is the bass. Everything else sounds about the same. Not sure if just upgrading the two under-seat subs would have been enough. BUT, it seems like the car is quieter with no creaks on the door panels. So dynamat is a good idea.

Overall, not as dramatic as upgrading the HK to Focals, but still impressive because no comparison when it comes to bass. Clarity is the same. High/mids, no difference. The Focal speakers are heavier than the B&O ones that were removed.

This was my 3rd big upgrade to my F15. First was the coding and full-screen CarPlay and then the MPBK last week, both of which made a big difference, then this audio upgrade, which made some improvement (important to note this improves on the $3,900 B&O system, so it is impressive). Next on my list are just cosmetic ones - M-Performance front splitter, CF mirror caps, and the rear spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #51
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:

Just finished installing Focal speakers to replace all front, rear seat and the two subs, leaving the front B&O speaker as is and the B&O grills.

I suppose the speakers need to break in a bit, but no adjustment to the EQ, the biggest difference is the bass. Everything else sounds about the same. Not sure if just upgrading the two under-seat subs would have been enough. BUT, it seems like the car is quieter with no creaks on the door panels. So dynamat is a good idea.

Overall, not as dramatic as upgrading the HK to Focals, but still impressive because no comparison when it comes to bass. Clarity is the same. High/mids, no difference. The Focal speakers are heavier than the B&O ones that were removed.

This was my 3rd big upgrade to my F15. First was the coding and full-screen CarPlay and then the MPBK last week, both of which made a big difference, then this audio upgrade, which made some improvement (important to note this improves on the $3,900 B&O system, so it is impressive). Next on my list are just cosmetic ones - M-Performance front splitter, CF mirror caps, and the rear spoiler.
My wife who wasn't aware of the new speakers commented that the audio had improved and asked me what I had done. She is out resident audiophile.

So, it's another worthwhile upgrade if anyone feels like upgrading their B&O or HK system. I bet the difference from the base audio system will be huge!
Appreciate 0