Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Punk View Post
But....but...what is a "CHAV"?!?
Monkey Punk
Chav

A chav stereotype, with a Burberry cap and bling
Chav (/ˈtʃæv/ chav) is a pejorative epithet used in Britain to describe a particular stereotype.[1][2] The word was popularised in the first decade of the 21st century by the British mass media to refer to an anti-social youth subculture in the United Kingdom.[3] The Oxford English Dictionary defines "chav" as an informal British derogatory, meaning "a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes".[4] The derivative chavette has been used to refer to females,[5] and the adjectives "chavish" and "chavtastic" have been used in relation to items designed for or suitable for use by chavs.[6]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #46
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Monkey Punk
Chav

A chav stereotype, with a Burberry cap and bling
Chav (/ˈtʃæv/ chav) is a pejorative epithet used in Britain to describe a particular stereotype.[1][2] The word was popularised in the first decade of the 21st century by the British mass media to refer to an anti-social youth subculture in the United Kingdom.[3] The Oxford English Dictionary defines "chav" as an informal British derogatory, meaning "a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes".[4] The derivative chavette has been used to refer to females,[5] and the adjectives "chavish" and "chavtastic" have been used in relation to items designed for or suitable for use by chavs.[6]
Great...thanks.....what's more disconcerting to me, is that I could've looked this up myself. palm to forehead.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #47
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Yeah I know. But it's a team thing. Right ?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #48
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

excuse me. can we talk about our SAV's
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #49
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Funny, since I'm actually from Belgium myself... I just live in Texas right now.

Where in Belgium are you?

Funny, but I am actually not from Belgium myself, I just live here right now. And... I used to live in Texas for couple of years. I am East European . Can we be happily married now?
      07-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #50
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
Funny, but I am actually not from Belgium myself, I just live here right now. And... I used to live in Texas for couple of years. I am East European . Can we be happily married now?
LOL, Eastern Europe... may i ask from where? I am from eastern Europe, but live in USA! ))))
      07-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #51
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
excuse me. can we talk about our SAV's
"?"

Improper punctuation. Therefore, no.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:47 AM   #52
Paddy_Lux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 40d M-Sport

M50d JTD I feel your pain. But with the full insurance I wouldn’t worry about it for too much. All the damaged parts (even slightly scratched so be very thorough in your assessment… ) will be replaced to new so at the end your car will be like brand new. The only downside (apart from the temporarily broken heart) would be you no claims discount may be reduced.
As for the racist comments I’m an Eastern European myself and really don’t feel offended when somebody generalizes about my fellow countrymen. I’ve lived abroad for way too long for not to see the dependency between the xenophobic behaviour and (lack of) intelligence.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:54 AM   #53
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

OP: any photos yet you can share with us of the damage done? Any progress with the police and the insurance company?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:25 AM   #54
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
You left Texas to move to Belgium? As much as I love my country, I prefer living in Texas and don't see myself moving back. Was your move work related, or was living in Texas not something you enjoyed?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #55
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

Hi Guys,

Thanks once again for all of your supportive comments and words of encouragement – I’m starting to feel a bit more positive now.

Unfortunately work has gone absolutely mental this week (the last thing I need right now) so what with the ridiculous hours being spent in the office + my commute back and forth to London, I’m not getting home until after midnight each day – i.e. not possible to visit the car at the BMW body shop or take pic’s etc…

Update from various phone calls:

Police:
No progress and I don’t have time to chase them at the moment.

Insurance assessor & BMW body shop:
I’m dealing with superb contacts at both thankfully (both having taken a great deal of time and effort to talk it all through with me over the phone + put me at ease). As suspected, there would have to of been at least £40-45K worth of obvious damage from the outset for the insurance to go down the write-off route. On a positive note, the insurance assessor has approved work to commence + they have agreed due to the age that all parts with any damage will be replaced and all exterior panels with the slightest of damage will be fully re-sprayed (given this is nearly all of them, it’s looking like a full body re-spray) – The car is currently being stripped down and cleaned (doors, seats, dash, vents etc all being stripped down /out to remove all of the broken glass) to assess and start the body repair/re-spray + compile the replacement parts order. I’ve been given a very approx ETA of 2 months excluding any potential delays with parts.

+ Given the instrument cluster will need to be replaced, I’m hoping to incorporate a 6WB upgrade into the process as a small positive to this absolute nightmare.

I’ll provide more of an update as soon as I have the opportunity and time.

Many thanks again,
Joe
Previous Other: Caterham 620, Lotus Exige S, TVR Cerbera

Last edited by M8 JTD; 07-16-2015 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #56
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

The assessor will have taken loads of photos prior and during the strip down, usually they share them with you as part of the damage report (may save you taking more)

Last edited by UKMS; 07-16-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #57
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Any update mate? Did they ever catch who did this? Post some pics when you have a sec. Curious how bad it all looked.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #58
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50d JTD View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks once again for all of your supportive comments and words of encouragement – I’m starting to feel a bit more positive now.

Unfortunately work has gone absolutely mental this week (the last thing I need right now) so what with the ridiculous hours being spent in the office + my commute back and forth to London, I’m not getting home until after midnight each day – i.e. not possible to visit the car at the BMW body shop or take pic’s etc…

Update from various phone calls:

Police:
No progress and I don’t have time to chase them at the moment.

Insurance assessor & BMW body shop:
I’m dealing with superb contacts at both thankfully (both having taken a great deal of time and effort to talk it all through with me over the phone + put me at ease). As suspected, there would have to of been at least £40-45K worth of obvious damage from the outset for the insurance to go down the write-off route. On a positive note, the insurance assessor has approved work to commence + they have agreed due to the age that all parts with any damage will be replaced and all exterior panels with the slightest of damage will be fully re-sprayed (given this is nearly all of them, it’s looking like a full body re-spray) – The car is currently being stripped down and cleaned (doors, seats, dash, vents etc all being stripped down /out to remove all of the broken glass) to assess and start the body repair/re-spray + compile the replacement parts order. I’ve been given a very approx ETA of 2 months excluding any potential delays with parts.

+ Given the instrument cluster will need to be replaced, I’m hoping to incorporate a 6WB upgrade into the process as a small positive to this absolute nightmare.

I’ll provide more of an update as soon as I have the opportunity and time.

Many thanks again,
Joe
Im not sure if 6wb is compatible with M Models at this time. You may want to get it back to factory before diving into that retroft.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #59
Heden
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 MY2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Im not sure if 6wb is compatible with M Models at this time. You may want to get it back to factory before diving into that retroft.
It will fit the M50D without any issue. It will not fit the X5M, but that is not what the OP has got.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #60
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in providing an update - I’ve been through the 5 stages of grief and have finally arrived at “Acceptance” due to the following ……although it will mean that I’ll be switching to a different Bimmerpost forum….

The police and insurance assessor both came to the same conclusion in the end - Given that I’d left nothing of value in the car, (it was parked in the station car park whilst I commuted to work in London) after the effort they took to get into it, the assumption is that they were pi$$ed off at walking away empty handed so thought they would finish it off.

This has since been backed up by CCTV and forensics which have identified the 4 individuals involved - one of which is only 15 years old! with countless previous for similar theft from cars/criminal damage along with 2 other pending court appearances!!!!

The police have now made 2 arrests although further investigations and arrests continue...

One thing is for sure though, I am determined not to let them win - I work bloody long/hard hours (with a great deal of personal sacrifice) to be able to afford the cars that I want to own and enjoy driving and I am not going to let a bunch of envious teenage delinquent scum prevent me from doing so.

As you can imagine, I don’t really want a brand new car (only 1400 miles on the clock) with such extensive damage/repairs back, it won’t be the same again to me (especially with the inevitable creaks/ squeaks resulting from the interior being ripped out and replaced). In addition, the X5 won’t comfortably fit in the garage that I now have to rent near the station to ensure safety of the car and peace of mind whilst at work (I live 15 miles away from the station in the middle of the countryside so both need /enjoy the daily drive). On a positive note, I’ve managed to negotiate a very good deal with BMW to buy the X5 back once the repairs are complete and swap it for a new F31 LCI 335d xDrive M Sport Touring.

I'm still in a courtesy car at the moment while the X5 repairs continue (pushed back due to delays with parts etc.) – Current ETA mid-late Sept, which is actually great news as it closer to sync’ing up with the arrival of my new 335d which is expected end of Sept/first week in Oct.

On top of the senseless damage, it's the time, inconvenience and expense that it's taking to resolve this – That said, a new car and the peace of mind that comes from having a secure place to store it whilst at work, is probably the best outcome with which to draw a line under this whole nightmare.

All the best and thanks again,
Joe

Last edited by M8 JTD; 08-26-2015 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #61
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50d JTD View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in providing an update - I’ve been through the 5 stages of grief and have finally arrived at “Acceptance” due to the following ……although it will mean that I’ll be switching to a different Bimmerpost forum….

The police and insurance assessor both came to the same conclusion in the end - Given that I’d left nothing of value in the car, (it was parked in the station car park whilst I commuted to work in London) after the effort they took to get into it, the assumption is that they were pi$$ed off at walking away empty handed so thought they would finish it off.

This has since been backed up by CCTV and forensics which have identified the 4 individuals involved - one of which is only15 years old! with countless previous for similar theft from cars/criminal damage along with 2 other pending court appearances!!!!

The police have now made 2 arrests although further investigations and arrests continue...

One thing is for sure though, I am determined not to let them win - I work bloody long/hard hours (with a great deal of personal sacrifice) to be able to afford the cars that I want to own and enjoy driving and I am not going to let a bunch of envious teenage delinquent scum prevent me from doing so.

As you can imagine, I don’t really want a brand new car (only 1400 miles on the clock) with such extensive damage/repairs back, it won’t be the same again to me (especially with the inevitable creaks/ squeaks resulting from the interior being ripped out and replaced). In addition, the X5 won’t comfortably fit in the garage that I now have to rent near the station to ensure safety of the car and peace of mind whilst at work (I live 15 miles away from the station in the middle of the countryside so both need /enjoy the daily drive). On a positive note, I’ve managed to negotiate a very good deal with BMW to buy the X5 back once the repairs are complete and swap it for a new F31 LCI 335d xDrive M Sport Touring.

I'm still in a courtesy car at the moment while the X5 repairs continue (pushed back due to delays with parts etc.) – Current ETA mid-late Sept, which is actually great news as it closer to sync’ing up with the arrival of my new 335d which is expected end of Sept/first week in Oct.

On top of the senseless damage, it's the time, inconvenience and expense that it's taking to resolve this – That said, a new car and the peace of mind that comes from having a secure place to store it whilst at work, is probably the best outcome with which to draw a line under this whole nightmare.

Joe
Following on from my previous post and on a more positive note, I'm actually really excited + looking forward to the arrival of my new F31 LCI 335d xDrive M Sport Touring. I've always had a soft spot for the 3 series touring since owning an E91 several years ago. Having recently test driven the F31, I am seriously impressed + what with the level options I've spec'd (If I'm honest I went to town like a kid in a sweet shop to make up for the nightmare with the X5), I think it will actually make for a more entertaining daily driver than the X5 yet still offer a reasonable level of all weather & towing ability (for the Caterham) + comfort that I require.

Here’s my spec (re the Opal white, I don’t have kids and the dog doesn't get transported in either of my cars so thought I would take the plunge/risk as it does look absolutely stunning) - Probably easier to say what options I deliberately haven’t spec’d (Rear Blinds, Rear Seat Heating, TV and Variable Sport Steering) - There is a lot of discussion on the forums regarding “VSS” where I think people are confusing it with the weighting up of the steering by speed/the Drive Performance Control mode, which is “Servotronic”, and comes as standard on M Sports – “VSS” is simply “Servotronic” + a variable ratio rack beyond 90 degrees of steering wheel lock.

My Spec:

ZLMZ F31 335d xDrive M Sport Touring N57Z 3.0d
475 Black Sapphire
ZAOW Opal White Merino lthr - BMW Individual
XT1 Leather instrument panel - BMW Individual
XE7 Piano Black - BMW Individual

Option Packages:
ZAP Advanced Parking package
ZAS Active Security package
ZIC Interior comfort package
ZMS M Sport Plus package inc 552 BMW Icon adaptive LED headlights & 442M Bicolour Orbit Grey Metallic wheels.
ZNP Media package - BMW Professional

Standalone Options:
248 Steering wheel heating
2VF Adaptive M Sport suspension
322 Comfort Access
3AC Towbar, fully electric
402 Panoramic glass sunroof
459 Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
488 Lumbar support, driver and front pass
494 Seat heating, front
4AE Armrest, front with sliding adjustment
502 Headlight wash
5DF Active Cruise Control with "Stop and Go" function
5DL Surround-view
610 Head-up Display
6NS Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB & Voice
8TH Speed limit display

+ 5 year BMW Service Inclusive

Joe

Last edited by M8 JTD; 09-04-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #62
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

You are a true gentleman.
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #63
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Super and exactly what a friend of mine had to do to get his car into a garage X6 to 335d. He still likes looking at my X6 M50d though! Any photos of the damaged car?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #64
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
There are always going to be some losers/scum backs on the phase of this earth whom pry off people's happiness/enjoyment. Sorry to hear about your ordeal buddy.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #65
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Best of luck

M50d JTD Best of luck in the future Joe with your new car and commute.

I like the idea of the 5 Series GTE but they don't make it in the UK with the 'X'.
Having experienced reversing up a slight snow covered incline as the only way out of our village a few years back I am NOT going back to a rear wheel BMW that I have to fit snow socks to at the smallest flake of snow

All the best.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #66
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Joe, thanks for the update. If the 3-series gives you additional piece of mind, then I say you made the right move. Also absolutely gorgeous in the Touring version. And yours seems spec'd pretty damn nicely.

Looks like I was spot on when I assumed they were chavs. Glad the CCTV backed this up.
Appreciate 1