02-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #23
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
+1 for pipa

We didnt use any seat protection and it was fine.
+2
      02-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #24
geye1970
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
The biggest concerns are (1) improper security/stabilization of the seat during worst-case accidents due to seat covers/towels, etc. interfering with proper seat installation and (2) compression of said seat covers/towels, etc...which in serious accidents can compress enough to loosen the seat more than desired for maximum child protection and crashworthiness.
Our Graco car seat has the following line in the manual:

Quote:
Protect vehicle seat. Use a car seat mat, towel, or thin blanket under and behind car seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #25
geetrick
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15

I have two Clek Mat thingy (actual name) being used under my Kids Clek car seats. It is made of a rubber material similar to a car mat and is flexible and thick enough to ensure the protection of the seats.

I install my car seats pretty firm and tight, putting my body weight down toward the seat while pulling the latch strap or seat belt (depending what I use) tight. I find that this mat protects my seats pretty well. I've removed the car seats in the past and seats look good
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #26
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by geye1970 View Post
Our Graco car seat has the following line in the manual:

Protect vehicle seat. Use a car seat mat, towel, or thin blanket under and behind car seat.
Be careful. Graco is the one of the very few brands that don't care.

While it is up to the child seat manufacturer to recommend or not, keep in mind they did not procure every vehicle on the planet to test if this is truly a good idea.

Each parent should make an educated decision, that's all I'm here to help with.

Seat protectors (mats, towels, and blankets) introduce space between the child restraint and the vehicle seat.

If the seat protector shifts, this can loosen the car seat's installation.

Compression of protectors in the force of a crash can cause the seat to perform as a loose installation.

High grip protectors often lead to a false positive for child seat installation (child seat doesn't move or slip when "felt" by installer, so they believe seat is properly installed, yet it is actually loose).

Generally speaking, a properly installed child seat almost never damages a vehicle's seat - so they simply are an added risk to your child's safety.

Vehicle crashes are one of the leading causes of death among our young. Why introduce a risk?

People want to purchase safe vehicles, the top rated child seats, and then they voluntarily add something that serves virtually no purpose but can contribute to injuries and/or death?

Vehicle engineers know their owners are planning on installing child seats, and they design vehicles to accommodate them (including no damage after removal).

And on the flip side, child seat manufacturers know their customers are installing seats in vehicles (including vehicles with leather seating). They design them to be safe, and also to not leave lasting marks or indentations (at least the good brands do).

Again, 5 kids, a million seats, almost 40 vehicles, ZERO damage from child seats.

My last point is for parents to consider who will be using the seat (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, caregivers, babysitters, etc.). Even if you are the best installer and do everything right, that doesn't mean down the road your loved ones will be able to do the same. And even the best parents can slip up...don't add another factor for nothing. Your seats will be fine...and even if an indentation doesn't go away later, who cares...it's your kids who are most important.

Here are the major child seat manufacturer standpoints:

Manufacturer / Yes/No for SEAT PROTECTOR / THIN TOWEL / THIN BLANKET
Example:
Fosterelli: Y/N/N

Britax: Y/N/N (only Britax approved)
Chicco: N/N/N
Clek: Y/N/N (only Clek protector approved)
Cosco: N/Y/N
Evenflo: N/Y/N
Graco: Y/Y/Y
Harmony: N/N/N
Nuna: N/N/N
Orbit Baby: N/N/N
Peg-Perego: N/N/N
Recaro: N/N/N
Safety 1st: N/Y/N
UPPAbaby: Y/N/N

Notes from manufacturers:

UPPAbaby: Only allowed Brica, Munchkin Auto Seat Protector, and Diono's Super Mat and Ultra Mat.

From Nuna's site: RAVA was designed with smooth seat back & bottom, using a vehicle seat protector is not necessary. We do not recommend using any products or accessories that are not approved by Nuna. Adding a product or accessory could alter the effectiveness or performance of the RAVA if ever involved in a crash. We do not recommend placing any seat protector or other item under your RAVA.