BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Baby Seat Install

Has anyone installed a rear facing baby seat in their car? Are there LATCH connections in the middle or only on the sides? Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

There are number of parents on this forum. I have a front facing seat secured on the rear passenger side using LATCH. I'm not 100% sure (although I don't see why it wouldn't), but I believe LATCH is available for the middle seat.

Few things to look out for:
1) I realize baby's safety is priority, but if you put a baby seat in the middle, it will be difficult (or impossible) to fold the other two seats in the back to load long items (unless the baby seat is removed).

2) Make sure to use a Seat Saver, because I have heard that the leather can get damaged.

3) If you choose to use a Seat Saver, make sure the bottom of the Seat Saver is clothe based material, or it will stick to the leather and damage the leather seats after long period of use (like 5 years). I've heard this too.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Check the manual on both the car seat and the F15, they will tell you whether or not it is safe to use the center seat and latch. I don't believe there are actual center seat latch connectors, but I can check tomorrow. So you would be using the inside latch from each passenger seat, and the distance between latch points is critical, thus check the manuals for both the car seat and the X5 for guidelines. The required distance varies slightly by car seat manufacturer (and maybe by model).

+1 on the seat saver, big indentations in the seats without them, would hate to see what that does to leather.. but make sure you use a good one that won't lessen the safety of the car seat.
Appreciate 0