BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #67
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Back when I had graduated, I wanted a Breitling. Instead, I got a brokerage acct full of cash. Not only has that grown into a considerable amount; it has also allowed me to exercise my understanding of the markets and act on what I've learned in school. My position at work now is extremely restrictive on personal trading, so I may roll some of it into a Roth IRA. If your son is financially intelligent, that may be your best option.
      04-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #68
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Ive recently been contracted by a guy (who drives a Corvette by the way) to sell calling cards. Calling cards are the way of the future and they’re growing so rapidly they basically sell themselves. Send me that $500 and I’ll get you in so you can sell these cards and make a fortune really quickly
A Corvette? That does it! I'm in. Will you accept payment in the form of personal check? I'm waiting on a deposit from a lady in South Africa that contacted me via email. Who knew strangers from other countries were so friendly and so liberal with whom they share their good fortune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Hey, this Prince just faxed us, he needs a way to understand our culture so he can send $48mil this way. Maybe I could introduce, then he can buy his own ridiculously-priced watch. Send me the $500, and I'll wire you the contact info for this Prince.
$48 mill? Meh, that's chump change compared to the lady in South Africa whom I've become so fond of. I mean, this guy is a prince and using a fax machine. Maybe with another $48 mill he can by an email account. I think I may just stick with my African queen and selling calling cards. This just seems too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Back when I had graduated, I wanted a Breitling. Instead, I got a brokerage acct full of cash. Not only has that grown into a considerable amount; it has also allowed me to exercise my understanding of the markets and act on what I've learned in school. My position at work now is extremely restrictive on personal trading, so I may roll some of it into a Roth IRA. If your son is financially intelligent, that may be your best option.
That's a pretty nice graduation present! I wouldn't consider my son financially astute, he's 17. His mind is on his girlfriend, cars and whatever kids are into these days. I do like your idea though. I have a friend that is FA, I'll talk with him and see what he recommends. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #69
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jody View Post
$48 mill? Meh, that's chump change compared to the lady in South Africa whom I've become so fond of. I mean, this guy is a prince and using a fax machine. Maybe with another $48 mill he can by an email account. I think I may just stick with my African queen and selling calling cards. This just seems too good to be true.
You ever try using Ethernet over barbed wire? The fax is so much faster. First world problem
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #70
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You ever try using Ethernet over barbed wire? The fax is so much faster. First world problem
Ethernet??? What is this wizardry you speak of?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      04-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #71
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Agreed on the investment idea...get him a Vanguard account with $500 loaded into it.

I'm assuming you know enough about finance that you can impart the value of compounding, etc.; plus it's a good opportunity to spend time/bond together looking at different stocks/ETFs.

Unlike with a watch, even a relatively tame ETF will grow in value even if he forgets about it ~2 days later.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #72
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
This is going to make me seem incredibly cheap, but there are factors in this situation that make me refuse to spend big money that I won't get into. I'm thinking $500. I would generally lean toward a watch as I'm a watch collector myself, but really hate to spend money again that will be wasted.
A watch is nice, but a $20 Casio tells time just fine. What does he like to do? How about a life experience? High Performance Driving School (BMW M School comes to mind). A trip to an exotic location? Thailand comes to mind. Sometimes there is a deal for $450 airline tickets to southeast asian countries. Give him some culture.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #73
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
A watch is nice, but a $20 Casio tells time just fine. What does he like to do? How about a life experience? High Performance Driving School (BMW M School comes to mind). A trip to an exotic location? Thailand comes to mind. Sometimes there is a deal for $450 airline tickets to southeast asian countries. Give him some culture.
Valid point. I think a lot of us fall into the trap of getting hung up on luxury items for the brand/social status it brings versus actual usage of said item. Yes, I just made that comment on a BMW forum....isn't it ironic.....don't ya think?

Stilling considering several options from here. At this point an investment or cultural experience are my top two. Thank you for your suggestions.
Appreciate 1
jmg18697.00
      04-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #74
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
Ever thought of asking him?

Just to be sure you won't get something he'll turn around and sell for the money?

Just a thought

FYI, if you get an infraction in the off-topic section, you can never visit that section again.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #75
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I will strongly second a trip. I went to Scotland for six weeks after graduating and before starting a job. Great time, taught me a little about budgeting (but I also learned that they don't stamp Brit Rail passes and you can sell them over the discounted multi day price to kids at a hostel), how not to hold up two fingers in the UK and that all Canadian chicks are nutters.

I still use the boots, backpack and sleeping bag from that trip.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #76
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetastelingers View Post
Ever thought of asking him?

Just to be sure you won't get something he'll turn around and sell for the money?

Just a thought
I did ask. He wanted money for car parts. I'd be ok with this as long as he had intentions of keeping his project car.....let me rephrase that; he has intentions to keep the car, but in my 17 years as his father I've never seen him commit to anything and follow through. Without sounding crass, he has another parent that demotivates more than motivates.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #77
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I will strongly second a trip. I went to Scotland for six weeks after graduating and before starting a job. Great time, taught me a little about budgeting (but I also learned that they don't stamp Brit Rail passes and you can sell them over the discounted multi day price to kids at a hostel), how not to hold up two fingers in the UK and that all Canadian chicks are nutters.

One of my closest friends is from the UK. I know the two finger gesture all too well. I've also learned not to use the term "fanny pack" in front of her. I was educated quickly that the terms mean two completely different things across the pond. I was enlightened on the term "bum bag." Also not very often I hear the term "nutter" unless it's from someone either in or from the UK.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #78
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One of my closest friends is from the UK. I know the two finger gesture all too well. I've also learned not to use the term "fanny pack" in front of her. I was educated quickly that the terms mean two completely different things across the pond. I was enlightened on the term "bum bag." Also not very often I hear the term "nutter" unless it's from someone either in or from the UK.
It took me a few days to sort out why all bartenders gave me the stink eye when ordering two beers. It ironically took throwing them up when walking out of a pub to someone that complimented my concert t shirt and him getting in my face for flipping him off to realize what I'd been doing and to start with my thumb and index finger. Ironically that was the two story pub in Edinburgh that Begbie tosses a pint glass over the railing in Trainspotting, a movie I saw a few weeks later.
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bhGhnHzBpr...f0pfo1_500.gif[/IMG]
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #79
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hehe, apparently the real pub is in Glasgow, stupid facts. Still a chance I was in that one too.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #80
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I did ask. He wanted money for car parts. I'd be ok with this as long as he had intentions of keeping his project car.....let me rephrase that; he has intentions to keep the car, but in my 17 years as his father I've never seen him commit to anything and follow through. Without sounding crass, he has another parent that demotivates more than motivates.
What is going to matter is that he has what he wants at the time of graduation.
If I had asked for money for car parts and I got a designer suit, I would have been disappointed.
To this day, I would remember. Just like I remember that I TOO asked for money for car parts and I got it. Was thrilled.

FYI, if you get an infraction in the off-topic section, you can never visit that section again.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #81
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It took me a few days to sort out why all bartenders gave me the stink eye when ordering two beers. It ironically took throwing them up when walking out of a pub to someone that complimented my concert t shirt and him getting in my face for flipping him off to realize what I'd been doing and to start with my thumb and index finger. Ironically that was the two story pub in Edinburgh that Begby tosses a pint glass over the railing in Trainspotting, a movie I saw a few weeks later.
That's a fucking fantastic story! I learned from sarcastically waiving at her in this fashion as we passed each other in traffic. She very quickly set me straight. She has also managed to teach me a little cockney slang.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      04-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #82
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetastelingers View Post
What is going to matter is that he has what he wants at the time of graduation.
If I had asked for money for car parts and I got a designer suit, I would have been disappointed.
To this day, I would remember. Just like I remember that I TOO asked for money for car parts and I got it. Was thrilled.
Noted. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #83
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It took me a few days to sort out why all bartenders gave me the stink eye when ordering two beers. It ironically took throwing them up when walking out of a pub to someone that complimented my concert t shirt and him getting in my face for flipping him off to realize what I'd been doing and to start with my thumb and index finger. Ironically that was the two story pub in Edinburgh that Begby tosses a pint glass over the railing in Trainspotting, a movie I saw a few weeks later.
That's a fucking fantastic story! I learned from sarcastically waiving at her in this fashion as we passed each other in traffic. She very quickly set me straight. She has also managed to teach me a little cockney slang.
See, I can tell stories for hours about that trip. Send your kid somewhere. Somewhere he's not familiar with, with a good friend.

We hitch hiked a lot, including in the back of a windowless van of a tombstone carver and with a batshit dude with a small child who wouldn't talk to us who was convinced that the government was tailing him so he took tiny country roads for the sixty or so miles before we finally jumped out.

I've traveled a lot since then, but never as cheaply and with so little itinerary. It would have been fun to stay longer and just work in a bike shop or restaurant to keep the beer funds flowing, but was still a highly memorable trip as it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #84
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
See, I can tell stories for hours about that trip. Send your kid somewhere. Somewhere he's not familiar with, with a good friend.

We hitch hiked a lot, including in the back of a windowless van of a tombstone carver and with a batshit dude with a small child who wouldn't talk to us who was convinced that the government was tailing him so he took tiny country roads for the sixty or so miles before we finally jumped out.

I've traveled a lot since then, but never as cheaply and with so little itinerary. It would have been fun to stay longer and just work in a bike shop or restaurant to keep the beer funds flowing, but was still a highly memorable trip as it was.
Yeah, I think you have me sold on a trip.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #85
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I think you have me sold on a trip.
One pointer. A friend had graduated right before I left and was starting a job when I was over there. I don't remember how much it cost from a pay phone, but I called him in Houston right before he was driving into his first day of professional work from the tasting room at the Guinness plant. He still hasn't forgiven me.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
UncleWede17979.50
      04-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #86
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
$500 card to Dave and Busters FTW!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #87
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I ended up going with a watch. I asked him what he wanted and threw out a couple of ideas that came from here, thank you all for your input. His response was a nice watch or money for car parts. I wanted him to have something tangible that he could look at one day and say, "Dad got me this for graduation" and something that would stand the test of time, for a while anyway. He ended up with this guy.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/...rs-200-15.html

Stylish enough for jeans and t-shirt but classy enough for a suit as well. His first "expensive-ish" watch. Had a "proud dad" moment when I overheard him telling his girlfriend how bad ass his watch was.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #88
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I overheard him telling his girlfriend how bad ass his watch was.
Mom got him a watch too, huh?

Appreciate 0