BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I've been visiting clients and family for the last week and the car rental company gave me a Toyota Sequoia, even though I reserved a mid sized car. I took the truck because I thought it would come in handy transporting the whole family. While 6 of us travelled comfortably this past weekend, I was amazed at the difference in driving dynamics between the Sequoia and the X5. I know they're in different classes, but I imagine more than a few people have cross-shopped the two.

I'd sum up the driving experience with one word - ponderous. The thing handles like an ocean liner, with a soft billowy ride and numb steering. Compared to the X5 35d, it accelerates like a boat, too.

The plus side is the roominess. I guess if you travel with 6-8 people on the regular basis, some folks would accept the compromises that this vehicle entails. I guess the same applies to towing big loads. Are the competitors as ungainly as the Toyota, or are any of the others better?

I'll get back home tomorrow with renewed enthusiasm toward the driving experience of the F15. Yes, it can only take seven passengers as long as two of them are small or as long as you're not going for a long trip, but the driving experience, performance envelope, and efficiency are so much better with the X5. I was shocked by the dramatic difference in all three of these areas.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I've had an earlier model Toyota Sequoia ( 2006 ) and I agree with you. It's a boat..
I think toyota is targeting those who are interested in big family movers who are also interested in escalade and other full sized SUV.
      04-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Mercedes GL rides like an S-Class and hauls like a minivan but is camouflaged as an SUV. It has one of the most comfortable rides and is spacious for third row SUV however it is a huge box. the 4L Q7 with S-Line & adaptive is better sized for urban or suburban areas hauls just as much gear but does not have massaging seats like the GL but otherwise they both offer similar equipment.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
citznfish
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport w/20" wheels

wait for the upcoming X7..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Mercedes GL rides like an S-Class and hauls like a minivan but is camouflaged as an SUV. It has one of the most comfortable rides and is spacious for third row SUV however it is a huge box. the 4L Q7 with S-Line & adaptive is better sized for urban or suburban areas hauls just as much gear but does not have massaging seats like the GL but otherwise they both offer similar equipment.
Agreed! The GL is a great drive and lots of space.

But in terms of luxury, not because I own one, but the full size RR is 10x better drive in terms of luxury and overall interior feel.

We crossed shop the 2 cars and the RR won in every aspect except its price (approx. $20-30k more)
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

no arguments here. i've owned several RR products but no third row so i didn't mention it however what it lacks in tech it makes up for in interior luxury and comfort. command view with stadium seating in the rear, leather everywhere your hand lands, buttons that are firm with nice rebound, chunky knobs and large gauges etc. very inviting all around. it is the only vehicle my wife and daughter do not get sick in when i go on a spirited mountain jaunt with them.
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      04-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8 View Post
Agreed! The GL is a great drive and lots of space.

But in terms of luxury, not because I own one, but the full size RR is 10x better drive in terms of luxury and overall interior feel.

We crossed shop the 2 cars and the RR won in every aspect except its price (approx. $20-30k more)
I wouldn't mind the price difference if the technology was up to par. But the outdated technology and the horrible reliability of said technology, makes me not ever want to buy a range rover again.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #8
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Talking about the GL, has anyone tried the GL63?
      04-26-2016, 03:31 AM   #9
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I wouldn't mind the price difference if the technology was up to par. But the outdated technology and the horrible reliability of said technology, makes me not ever want to buy a range rover again.
Sums up my thoughts.
But overall it's pretty astonishing the pace of all of the new technology coming into our daily drivers. I'm looking forward to the next 5-10 years.
      04-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:

in 2016, they introduced HUD finally. I believe the 2017 (which will be a facelift for the full size RR) will finally receive an entirely new infotainment system, along with LED headlights. Otherwise, the tech really isn't bad. the instrument panel (TFT display or whatever they call it) is superb. I love that the gauges are one big display, no analog here!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i But the outdated technology and the horrible reliability of said technology, makes me not ever want to buy a range rover again.
the reliability issue is comical because nearly every bmw product i have owned has had more issues and niggles than any RR product i have owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Talking about the GL, has anyone tried the GL63?
yes. it's as dumb as the R63. i do not see the point in it and daily driving that in an urban/city environment is a chore. the size of the vehicle and the size of the engine make a cumbersome and annoying experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Sums up my thoughts.
But overall it's pretty astonishing the pace of all of the new technology coming into our daily drivers. I'm looking forward to the next 5-10 years.
sadly i am not... as these vehicles get more techy and disconnect the driver from the actual driving experience i find myself looking backward to see what low mileage older vehicles will be next. i have no desire for the latest and greatest waiting for me to beta test in the real world for the mfg and i may be one of the few left that enjoy the driving experience in general when not using the vehicle as a tool or appliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8 View Post
in 2016, they introduced HUD finally. I believe the 2017 (which will be a facelift for the full size RR) will finally receive an entirely new infotainment system, along with LED headlights. Otherwise, the tech really isn't bad. the instrument panel (TFT display or whatever they call it) is superb. I love that the gauges are one big display, no analog here!
what other luxury brands were offering in 2008+ RR finally got around to but as i stated earlier the trade-off was much nicer interior than the competition with much better audio and leather options. it was too costly to revamp the L322 completely so they did minor improvements and saved most of the advancement and new gadgetry for the L405 however the fact that they do not have all this nonsense in the vehicle means less crap to fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

at least i am not alone when i mention my experience with bmw products being a bit of a nuisance:

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-en...hit-1784684330
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
at least i am not alone when i mention my experience with bmw products being a bit of a nuisance:

I guess i should quote some of my mechanic friends who say that RR makes BMW look like honda in terms of reliability. Should i have them create a blog and post links to validate their claim?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloros View Post
I guess i should quote some of my mechanic friends who say that RR makes BMW look like honda in terms of reliability. Should i have them create a blog and post links to validate their claim?
I always ask myself, is it that bad? Are RRs really all that bad? I don't have personal experience nor know anyone who own RRs. I wonder if these bad reviews apply to older RRs.

I read somewhere that newer RRs are more reliable, minus the Evoque.
      08-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I've been visiting clients and family for the last week and the car rental company gave me a Toyota Sequoia, even though I reserved a mid sized car. I took the truck because I thought it would come in handy transporting the whole family. While 6 of us travelled comfortably this past weekend, I was amazed at the difference in driving dynamics between the Sequoia and the X5. I know they're in different classes, but I imagine more than a few people have cross-shopped the two.

I'd sum up the driving experience with one word - ponderous. The thing handles like an ocean liner, with a soft billowy ride and numb steering. Compared to the X5 35d, it accelerates like a boat, too.

The plus side is the roominess. I guess if you travel with 6-8 people on the regular basis, some folks would accept the compromises that this vehicle entails. I guess the same applies to towing big loads. Are the competitors as ungainly as the Toyota, or are any of the others better?

I'll get back home tomorrow with renewed enthusiasm toward the driving experience of the F15. Yes, it can only take seven passengers as long as two of them are small or as long as you're not going for a long trip, but the driving experience, performance envelope, and efficiency are so much better with the X5. I was shocked by the dramatic difference in all three of these areas.
I always wondered what it's like to drive a Sequoia and the Infiniti QX80 (that thing looks like a building on wheels).
      08-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast

Then there are those of us who are now on our 7th BMW and couldn't imagine driving anything else. Only thing I've ever done to any of them is preventive maintenance. Had a differential going out in my first e30 but, well, that WILL happen after 250-some-thousand miles. I'm sure there are people with problems and I'm sure many of them are manufacture defects, but I've also seen people beat the absolute tar out of their bimmers and then act surprised when they break something. Take care of them and they will last. That's my $.02 anyway.
      08-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOh3 View Post
Then there are those of us who are now on our 7th BMW and couldn't imagine driving anything else.
hahaha... i have owned seven bmw products over the last three years. i am more than familiar with them. i am no stranger to bmw vehicles. my point is that RR gets a horrible rep for being unreliable but ANY bmw product or bmw m product i owned was more troublesome than ANY RR/RRS product i have owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloros View Post
sure, whatever you like however from my experience i have owned an l318 discoII, 2008 rrs-sc, 2011 rrs-sc, 2012 rr-sc, 2014 rrs-sc, 2014 rr-sc. none of which had as many issues as ANY bmw vehicle i owned. they're actually fairly simple suv with very little going on. the ford motors were rock solid.

i am not bashing bmw in general and really don't care what anyone else's opinion is of the vehicles because i have my experience to draw from to create an opinion but i return the bmw products for many other reasons and the minor issues are just part of owning of them. the way i see it is you may love your wife and girlfriend and you may argument from time to time and have some issues but you stay together because overall you're happy with each other. same with bmw. i love the products i love the brand. i love what bmwusa does for me but sometimes we have a few issues but remain together.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #18
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
hahaha... i have owned seven bmw products over the last three years. i am more than familiar with them. i am no stranger to bmw vehicles. my point is that RR gets a horrible rep for being unreliable but ANY bmw product or bmw m product i owned was more troublesome than ANY RR/RRS product i have owned.

sure, whatever you like however from my experience i have owned an l318 discoII, 2008 rrs-sc, 2011 rrs-sc, 2012 rr-sc, 2014 rrs-sc, 2014 rr-sc. none of which had as many issues as ANY bmw vehicle i owned. they're actually fairly simple suv with very little going on. the ford motors were rock solid.

i am not bashing bmw in general and really don't care what anyone else's opinion is of the vehicles because i have my experience to draw from to create an opinion but i return the bmw products for many other reasons and the minor issues are just part of owning of them. the way i see it is you may love your wife and girlfriend and you may argument from time to time and have some issues but you stay together because overall you're happy with each other. same with bmw. i love the products i love the brand. i love what bmwusa does for me but sometimes we have a few issues but remain together.
You have a lot to say in regards to your opinion. Dont care what you owned rather leased from RR......i still to the mechanics opinions which means more than your run of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #19
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i never leased or financed but i appreciate your feedback. my apologies if my opinion and experience varies from yours or your mechanics but this is what i go by not other's opinions or experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Let's stop fooling ourselves. If we all really want the ultimate in people/cargo capacity/convenience and a car-like driving experience, a minivan is the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #21
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

hahaha... good point.
Appreciate 0