BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-08-2023, 06:18 PM   #155
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

I have andorid unit from 4x4shop and I can use my android auto without issues. Only thing I have to do is after AA is up I have to manually disconnect phone/ android Bluetooth connection in the android screen. This way I can access other things in AA while on a call.

Also I never plugged anything into my aux plu in center console but I select AUX under audio. Do you have link of the unit you bought? I can compare it with mine. If you want to do a video call I am more than happy to help you. Lmk
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #156
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoss_F86 View Post
I have andorid unit from 4x4shop
Does the android have dual app/screen functionality. As in can I have two apps running side by side.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 06:59 PM   #157
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

For those that have an Ali MMI without the touch screen.
Does anyone else have issues with their Android phone and making calls ?

If I use the phone through the MMI the audio comes out through the phone speaker rather than the car speakers. I do not know if the mic being used is in the phone or the car.

Secondly, if I try to use the iDrive phone it doesn't BT to me phone becasue the BT connection is to the MMI.

Usng the MMI I have to set the device as AUX in but I don't use any wired connections for it.

So, does anyone else have an issue like this and is so what is the answer to this ?

Thanks
      11-16-2023, 08:19 PM   #158
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Does the android have dual app/screen functionality. As in can I have two apps running side by side.
Yes, I can run maps and youtube music on same screen.
Appreciate 1
Chilled363.50
      12-28-2023, 11:53 AM   #159
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e39 540 sport & BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoss_F86 View Post
Yes, I can run maps and youtube music on same screen.
Hi I have my dash apart as i am working on dead LED lights on BMW F85. All these units seem to be out of China, anyone bought one that was easy to fit and functions properly? I have no interest in using Apple.

Last edited by Franktea1$; 12-28-2023 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:11 PM   #160
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franktea1$ View Post
... All these units seem to be out of China,..
Everything is from China, even if something pretends to be from elsewhere, if you look closely, the fundamental components are from China.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 07:33 PM   #161
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
So on some some board shit, might wanna consider plugging a DAC in one of the USBs and route to AUX in center console. Sound is waaay clearer and better coming from Android side. Did what Sunny_J did and used a Cyrus Soundkey from Amazon and it make the music that much better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Hi SupersixM. I also have the Cyrus Soundkey.
I noticed that not all audio is routed through the DAC though.
e.g. phone calls and AV-IN/DTV audio still goes out as analogue via the harness (also available via the harness Audio-Out 3.5mm socket).

Are you experiencing the same issue?

If anyone else has this problem with their own DAC, let me know.
If someone has managed to overcome this problem, let me know.
Your response is of great value to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:04 AM   #162
DoIt4TheFans
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15

Sound route question

First of all, I wanna thank you so much for putting me on the right direction. Regarding on what brand to get (mekede) and the DAC that makes it sound better than aux.
New to the BMW world but an experienced mechanic/electrician, etc.

Question about the sound route.
-You mentioned that you used USB from Android as “line out” to DAC? If that’s possible, that’s great.
-From DAC you went Aux out to Aux in in center console. If I got that right, you’re already converting it to Analog from the Fiio DAC, which, as you mentioned, I’m pretty sure it should still sound better than plain aux cable from screen to console.

My question is, if I get a DAC that has “optical out”, is there a way to tap into the cars head unit where them 2 optical cables go in?
Let’s say, find out which one’s “optical in”, and get a “Y” splitter. Like that, sound will digitally go all the way to my B&O amp where it turns to Analog.

Or, forget about it as it will not make any difference, as long as there’s a DAC between Android screen and car’s Aux?

Let me know if it makes sense and thanks again ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Oh oh oh oh and before I forget. One reason to go #1 vs #2 above would be audio connectivity - I was wrong, that's one place where the #2 setup is more complicated. Let me explain.

I can't tell from the pictures how the CarPlay unit hooks up - I feel like there is no audio hookup at all, and as a result, that whole piece of it should be out of the picture, I feel like audio will go via WiFi to CarPlay / Android Auto. Fine.

In the case of a full-on Android unit, you will be looking to connect the audio from Android to the car's AUX in. Unfortunately, there is no way to tap into the optical network, and therefore, sound necessarily has to be converted to analog and route via the AUX in that is, most likely, in the armrest storage. In and of itself it's a little annoying, but what's worse is that audio quality usually suffers. If you go this route, do not skimp, and get yourself a USB DAC to fix the sound. I used a Fiio E10K and, having tried both with and without, the difference is simply astounding. Unfortunately it means more cables to run - but fortunately, then, there's no perceptible audio quality difference with the OEM audio setup, and I cannot recommend it enough.

In other words, there are two ways to connect the Android device:

1. Android -> 3.5mm headphone cable -> car's AUX in port.
2. Android -> USB to USB DAC -> 3.5mm headphone cable -> car's AUX in port.

#2 will give you FAR superiour sound, but you'll have to take the whole armrest apart like in my pic.
Appreciate 0