BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2023, 06:20 PM   #1
silverfernnz
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 30D

New Battery Register

Hi Guys, I have purchased a new battery for my 2015 X5 30D from a battery store and they help me install and programmed it, on the tool they are used, it's showing " battery validation" rather than "new battery register" , is it the same thing? the staff at the shop told me it's the same, just a bit confused, all the videos online about new battery register is different from what I saw. any one with experience with this? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:53 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

We need more info. What was it validating?

I ask because two battery procedures get conflated (mixed) all the time...one is battery "coding" and the other is battery "registration".

Battery coding sets the "type" and AH (amp hour) rating of the battery. If you change either...then you need to "CODE" the change so that the charging system knows what the battery parameters are that it is working with.

Battery registration tells the charging system to set a new baseline because a new battery has been installed. The IBS (intelligent battery sensor) is continuously measuring certain values in the charging system. The system adjusts based on specific conditions. So when you replace the battery, the system needs to know so that it can adjust accordingly.

Since we weren't there, we have no clue what "battery validating" means. If it was validating that the same type of battery was installed (aka AGM) and that it was the same AH rating (92 AH?)...then that would be battery coding...thus the new battery was NOT registered.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 12:00 AM   #3
silverfernnz
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 30D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
We need more info. What was it validating?

I ask because two battery procedures get conflated (mixed) all the time...one is battery "coding" and the other is battery "registration".

Battery coding sets the "type" and AH (amp hour) rating of the battery. If you change either...then you need to "CODE" the change so that the charging system knows what the battery parameters are that it is working with.

Battery registration tells the charging system to set a new baseline because a new battery has been installed. The IBS (intelligent battery sensor) is continuously measuring certain values in the charging system. The system adjusts based on specific conditions. So when you replace the battery, the system needs to know so that it can adjust accordingly.

Since we weren't there, we have no clue what "battery validating" means. If it was validating that the same type of battery was installed (aka AGM) and that it was the same AH rating (92 AH?)...then that would be battery coding...thus the new battery was NOT registered.

Thanks for the reply, it’s the same spec 105ah 950cca AGM battery as the original one, the tool they used looks like a professional one that you will need to select brand first, the chassis number -f15 x5 30d, and under the “battery management” menu there is no “battery register” option but only “ battery validation” I guess it’s the same thing as the store staff said it’s the same
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 09:26 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Sounds like they just coded (validated) the battery as being the same as the type/kind that was removed.

You still need to have the battery registered. Again, battery registration tells the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been installed. See the info below about the IBS which BMW started using with the introduction of the e60 5 series.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0