BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
KiwiF15X5
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Crack in instrument panel cluster lens

A couple of months ago I noticed a small crack appear in the lens cover of my instrument panel. It's slowly getting larger and I'm sure will end up right across the face of the polycarbonate lens which won't help with resale going forward! Car is still under its manufacturing warranty. Took it back to the local dealer who looked at it and suggested that it was caused by impact damage and would not be covered by warranty. I purchased the car second hand (one previous owner) in January of this year. I'm really struggling to understand how they can attribute the crack to impact damage. The only thing I have had near the lens is a cloth to wipe it during cleaning so struggling with BMWNZ's position. Thoughts? [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Impact from what? Honestly, I rarely have the need to touch my instrument cover, other than to clean it. I expect most owners, including yourself, are the same. We don’t go around randomly poking or prodding or instrument covers. Is there a discernible point of impact? Like an impression point from when a rock hits your windshield? I think the dealer needs to better articulate its reasoning or support for its position (not mere conjecture); otherwise, I would push for a warranty repair.
Appreciate 2
m3fuz199.00
      12-26-2020, 03:48 AM   #3
KiwiF15X5
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Impact from what? Honestly, I rarely have the need to touch my instrument cover, other than to clean it. I expect most owners, including yourself, are the same. We don't go around randomly poking or prodding or instrument covers. Is there a discernible point of impact? Like an impression point from when a rock hits your windshield? I think the dealer needs to better articulate its reasoning or support for its position (not mere conjecture); otherwise, I would push for a warranty repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Impact from what? Honestly, I rarely have the need to touch my instrument cover, other than to clean it. I expect most owners, including yourself, are the same. We don't go around randomly poking or prodding or instrument covers. Is there a discernible point of impact? Like an impression point from when a rock hits your windshield? I think the dealer needs to better articulate its reasoning or support for its position (not mere conjecture); otherwise, I would push for a warranty repair.
Thanks for your commend and constructive feedback. I will discuss further with the importer and see how I go. Have a great Christmas.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiF15X5 View Post
Thanks for your commend and constructive feedback. I will discuss further with the importer and see how I go. Have a great Christmas.
Good luck - please keep us updated. Hope you had a great Christmas too.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:11 AM   #5
SeeYa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 35i

If the dealer doesn't agree to fix it under warranty, call BMW customer service. You might be surprised at how eager car companies are to make their customers happy. I have an out of warranty Ford Edge which needed an APM replaced - $1300 repair with labor that ended up costing me $50 out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Bought used and with a cracked cluster? I'd check if it was ever removed, and why.
Appreciate 0