Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15d_RN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Can anybody tell me of a working solution please?
If there is one, really.
Thank you.
Did you read the thread? There are aftermarket solutions and an oem one that you can find used perhaps.
I did.
Did u read the responses?
OEM is discontinued due to issues by bmw.
And what u and everybody else is saying is there is an aftermarket "perhaps".
No definites.
Never said perhaps. In fact I gave two manufacturers that members here have installed and working for years.
yup u did.
and u mentioned clifford and viper-"worked for years"
unfortunately, no solution for the 2018 which i was looking for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:54 AM   #24
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Perhaps you can find, not perhaps it works...
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      09-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #25
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can anybody tell me of a working solution please?
If there is one, really.
Thank you.
Did you read the thread? There are aftermarket solutions and an oem one that you can find used perhaps.
I did.
Did u read the responses?
OEM is discontinued due to issues by bmw.
And what u and everybody else is saying is there is an aftermarket "perhaps".
No definites.
Never said perhaps. In fact I gave two manufacturers that members here have installed and working for years.
yup u did.
and u mentioned clifford and viper-"worked for years"
unfortunately, no solution for the 2018 which i was looking for.
Thank you CatalinP for the help here.

And Maybe I missed it but Who said that the aftermarkets won't work for your 2018? Only thing anyone's said is that BMW has stopped selling oem retrofits because of the most recent software update has been rendering them inoperable. Doesn't necessarily mean you have this software update just cuz you're 2018 and it certainly doesn't mean this affects aftermarket systems.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #26
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 XDrive 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Perhaps you can find, not perhaps it works...
just pointing out that he did say the word "perhaps" and not as he claim he "NEVER" did.

anyway, still doesn't solve my issue.
i was hoping that an exact manufacturer and model is actually available.

maybe, I am just dumb to follow around the bush and still come up empty.

thanks a lot though.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #27
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you CatalinP for the help here.

And Maybe I missed it but Who said that the aftermarkets won't work for your 2018? Only thing anyone's said is that BMW has stopped selling oem retrofits because of the most recent software update has been rendering them inoperable. Doesn't necessarily mean you have this software update just cuz you're 2018 and it certainly doesn't mean this affects aftermarket systems.
i just don't know what u are talking about @maverik259.

i'm sure u are just trying to help me as u have been helping a lot of people here in the forum.

at least u pointed out now that maybe i don't have the software update and maybe then i can find a oem retrofit still available in the market soehow, somewhere.

also, u keep saying the aftermarket systems-pls be specific if u know a brand or model that will work. Internet searches that i did has led me nowhere.
Hence, I am bothering every knowledgeable people here in the forum.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #28
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:

i'm sure u are just trying to help me as u have been helping a lot of people here in the forum.

at least u pointed out now that maybe i don't have the software update and maybe then i can find a oem retrofit still available in the market soehow, somewhere.

also, u keep saying the aftermarket systems-pls be specific if u know a brand or model that will work. Internet searches that i did has led me nowhere.

Thanks.
I have my complete remote start set up with subscription plan out of my 2017 with a brand new insllation harness i bought to make reinstall easy for the next person. not sure why it wouldn't work on a 2018 but if you're interested in the smartstart where you can start from anywhere you have your phone and reception I'll be happy to sell as i am getting rid of my x5. it worked nicely on my car and tons of options for configuration via app.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      09-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #29
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
I have my complete remote start set up with subscription plan out of my 2017 with a brand new insllation harness i bought to make reinstall easy for the next person. not sure why it wouldn't work on a 2018 but if you're interested in the smartstart where you can start from anywhere you have your phone and reception I'll be happy to sell as i am getting rid of my x5. it worked nicely on my car and tons of options for configuration via app.
Pm'ed.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #30
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Exactly the man I was thinking of.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #31
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
I'm not 100% clear, is this a third party service you bought or did you actually get this installed by bmw?

I'm down in Houston and would love to have the remote start in 110* weather 300 days of the year lol.. just didn't find anything either...so far...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #32
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTookies View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
I'm not 100% clear, is this a third party service you bought or did you actually get this installed by bmw?

I'm down in Houston and would love to have the remote start in 110* weather 300 days of the year lol.. just didn't find anything either...so far...
He's got an aftermarket Clifford system with viper smart start app functionality if I remember correctly
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
MrTookies457.50
      09-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #33
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
He's got an aftermarket Clifford system with viper smart start app functionality if I remember correctly
Yes, that is correct.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 1
MrTookies457.50
      11-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #34
crw615
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Yes, that is correct.
Hello all. First time BMW owner. I've been researching the remote start options (or lack thereof) and came across this forum.

Curious if the Clifford RS requires the By Pass Module as well? Or can you simply install the Clifford and it's ready to go? I will use the Smart Start as well but assume that's the final step.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #35
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
The factory remote start stopped selling is because they released a software update to iDrive that caused a conflict with the remote start computer. But since everyone has an iDrive and very few people have the remote start they have decided to abandon the remote start installs. I am one of these people with a useless system in their car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #36
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Holy shit.... you guys are some lazy mofos... walk outside unlock the car, start the car, get out of the car, and walk back inside....
      11-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #37
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crw615 View Post
Hello all. First time BMW owner. I've been researching the remote start options (or lack thereof) and came across this forum.

Curious if the Clifford RS requires the By Pass Module as well? Or can you simply install the Clifford and it's ready to go? I will use the Smart Start as well but assume that's the final step.

Thank you in advance.
Module and sacrifice of a key is required regardless which system is being used.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #38
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Holy shit.... you guys are some lazy mofos... walk outside unlock the car, start the car, get out of the car, and walk back inside....
Ever go to the movies, mall, Home Depot, etc ? Lemme know which and when and I'll come look for the vulnerable car that you walked out to to start and then walked all the way back inside.

Appreciate 1
unluky7528.00
      11-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #39
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Ever go to the movies, mall, Home Depot, etc ? Lemme know which and when and I'll come look for the vulnerable car that you walked out to to start and then walked all the way back inside.
Exactly! Every time I hear people saying remote start is a gimmick - I know they have never owned one. Not sure why they get so offended at us having one either? When it is -15 and I can get into a 70 degree fully defrosted car - why would I choose not too? "Why do you need a cell phone you lazy SOB??? Why not just walk to their house and talk to them in person for Christ sake!"

I have had one on my last 3 cars and will never go without one again. If I need to run in somewhere when my dog is with me - I can leave the car running with zero fear of it being stolen and that is 1/100 of the great things about having one. I would honestly never buy a car that could not have one installed and I feel BMW is WAY off the mark being a luxury vehicle that does not have it from the factory even as an option. Ford Focus comes with them these days. My POS ford explorer has one as standard equipment.
      11-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #40
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
That's what I did until I had the remote starter installed in the dead of winter when there a foot of snow on top of my car. I started her up, cleaned the car, then hopped it to a nice and toasty car.

Now I'm back to a freezing my ass off until I clean the door so I can get in to start it up... like yesterday.
      11-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #41
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Exactly! Every time I hear people saying remote start is a gimmick - I know they have never owned one. Not sure why they get so offended at us having one either? When it is -15 and I can get into a 70 degree fully defrosted car - why would I choose not too? "Why do you need a cell phone you lazy SOB??? Why not just walk to their house and talk to them in person for Christ sake!"

I have had one on my last 3 cars and will never go without one again. If I need to run in somewhere when my dog is with me - I can leave the car running with zero fear of it being stolen and that is 1/100 of the great things about having one. I would honestly never buy a car that could not have one installed and I feel BMW is WAY off the mark being a luxury vehicle that does not have it from the factory even as an option. Ford Focus comes with them these days. My POS ford explorer has one as standard equipment.
I haven't owned a car since '95 without having remote start in it, don't plan on changing that anytime soon !

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #42
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
That's what I did until I had the remote starter installed in the dead of winter when there a foot of snow on top of my car. I started her up, cleaned the car, then hopped it to a nice and toasty car.

Now I'm back to a freezing my ass off until I clean the door so I can get in to start it up... like yesterday.
You're not limited to just the OE unit though, there are aftermarket options available.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #43
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Personally, rather than being suprised people like remote start, I am more surprised at the number of X5 owners that for some reason can not park in a garage (or are some of you saying that you need remote start when you have a garage as well)?

I dont live somewhere where it snows, yet I still park both of my cars in the garage. When we purchased a house, I purchased one with a 2 car tandem garage, so I have that tandem spot for "stuff" and the cars still get to live in the garage.

Do none of you who want remote start have garages?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #44
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Personally, rather than being suprised people like remote start, I am more surprised at the number of X5 owners that for some reason can not park in a garage (or are some of you saying that you need remote start when you have a garage as well)?

I dont live somewhere where it snows, yet I still park both of my cars in the garage. When we purchased a house, I purchased one with a 2 car tandem garage, so I have that tandem spot for "stuff" and the cars still get to live in the garage.

Do none of you who want remote start have garages?
I have a garage and I park in it, unfortunately and oddly I don't get it to take it with me everywhere I go so yes, the vehicle does go outside and the weather does affect it.

Remote start is not just for cold or snow, it's just as effective in the summer heat. In fact it's actually a good bit helpful in the summer, health wise, when someone is just jumping in and going and the inside temp is 135+ degrees.

Appreciate 2
unluky7528.00