BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #23
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

Hi Ray,
Do you find much difference between E2 and default E0 setting ? Is the power delivery smooth like stock ?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #24
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006 View Post
Hi Ray,
Do you find much difference between E2 and default E0 setting ? Is the power delivery smooth like stock ?
There is a noticeable difference. It is also very smooth. In fact, at 03, it has a tremendous amount of boost and is still silky smooth.
      10-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #25
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it later!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp335 View Post
Glad to hear you're still loving you f15. The 3M gloss back looks great, and I love the mod.

I've thought about adding the racechip ultimate but am slightly concerned about extra wear on the engine. However, the gains you get and lack of tune with mppk for the d may push me over the edge. I didn't think the chip alone would shave nearly a second of your 0-60 time though. That sounds too good to be true.
Keep in mind, the US diesel is detuned from rest of world due to our emissions laws due to crappy fuel. I bought my car (not a lease) and I want it to last a very long time, but I still bought the chip. It's now up to what I would call, global standards with plenty of power and incredible economy (compared to other US vehicles and close to the little 4 cyl rice burners bragging 35mpg). Just don't push the chip too far, as you can/will hurt the engine since this is piggy back stuff.
      10-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #27
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006 View Post
Hi Ray,
A 2 step jump in the S1 setting is fuel timing. If you know what to look for, you will probably feel the difference and it will be 100% torque (also improved throttle response), not horsepower as this setting is only good to 3500 rpm, and then it drops - look at the BMW dyno sheet for proof. Since this is a piggy back tune, the ECU will still cap and plateau the torque curve.

At the same time, S1 should be handled with care if you own the car as it puts the most stress on the engine. It is similar to a gas motor whereby ignition (earlier spark) timing is increased. More is not better as there are diminishing returns. More and more sometimes leads to kaboom.

If you lease, do what you want - you don't own it anyway.
      11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #28
X35dee
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive35d

Hey! to those with a third row seat!

How accessible are the third row seats if theres one boosters and infant car seat up in the middle? can one still access? or would i need to remove the car seats? (please say be accessible lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #29
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
After reading that how well the RaceChip is going for you, decided to also pick one up for my car!

I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #30
ccorodan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d F15

Do I get it correct that you have both 3 and 8 - DHP and 3rd row? The reason why I don't have DHP is the 3rd row - it was a must-have and the dealer clearly stated that the two options are incompatible. I have a European 40d, but at least the engine makes no difference here. Is this then a EU-US model difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #31
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Trojanlaw how's the ride going ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #32
wenlipai
Private
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Well after twelve months and about 12,000 miles, I am happy to report, this is the best and most fun car I have ever owned. There is a lot that everyone on the board struggles with ordering, so I thought I might give a quick update of what I have found over time. Please visit my original post from a year ago where I went through each item in detail. This is intended to supplement the 35d Full Report to help folks make decisions.

(1) Racechip Ultimate - This has worked like a dream and has converted my 35d into a monster. I have now been running the setting 03 for the last six months without issue. It is not the same as the 50i, however, it is pretty damn close and now does 0-60 in about 5.4 seconds, is $15k less and I am averaging about 25 mpg (plus diesel is now cheaper than premium). It is a lot more fun to drive than the 35i and the torque and pull is incredible. This should be a no brainer for anyone that purchases the 35d.

(2) Driver Assist - The heads up display in this car is the best in the industry. I just finished car shopping for my wife and we extensively drove the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, Acura MDX, Infiniti QX60 and 80 and Mercedes GL450. There is not another interface out there that is more user friendly and driver considerate than the system in the X5 - including the new system in the Volvo (which is very cool but not nearly as user friendly as the X5). The heads up display is a main part of that. It is large, clear and easliy displays entertainment, phone information and turn by turn maps. A lot of people keep hoping that the US will get the full digital display for the X5. I for one can state that with the heads up display, I actually am glad to have the display that we have. It provides the most information at all times.

(3) Dynamic Handling Package - After a year of driving, this is even higher as a must have. I have taken my car in twice in the past year and switching to the normal suspension is depressing for me. DHP totally changes how this car handles at all times. It is tighter in all circumstances, yet more comfortable at the same time. It corners without role and truly makes this car feel more like a 5 series sedan than an SUV. It makes it a true joy to drive and blows away all of the competition. And yes I just drove all of the cars above with whatever advanced suspensions systems they had to offer. It really does make that much of a difference. I know that dealers do not normally have any available for a test drive. This is one where you are going to have to trust the posters. Adaptive M suspension is better than stock, but it does not come close to what DHP does to the car. If you are getting this car for the joy of driving, do not skip this. It totally changes the steering feel at all times as well.

(4) Ceramic Controls - This is something a lot of folks don't order but I have appreciated more than I can tell you. They not only look better but feel substantially more upscale and are easier to use. Some complain about finger prints showing up, but they always wipe off easily. Seriously consider them as they also change the look of the dash by removing any cheap looking silver plastic around the knobs. I originally thought this might be a waste of money, but I am so glad that I have them.

(5) Lighting Package - I was on the fence for this but I am so glad I got it. The car looks significantly better and the lighting is much better. Especially since variable lighting can now be coded, these are great.

(6) Driver Assistance Plus - The additional safety features are great, but the surround view camera is the most valuable thing in the package. I have not seen a better surround view system in any other car - not even the new Volvo. If you skip this package, definitely make sure to at least get the surround view.

(7) ACC Stop and Go - I never use Cruise Control so I passed on this. In part, because many of the the safety features for frontal collision are already included in the Driver Assistance Plus package. That said, if you are in traffic regularly, people on this board swear by it. I second guess this one all of the time. My wife's car has it but we never use it. Hers also has lane assist which is incredibly cool and useful, but the X5 does not have. I will definitely get it in my next car.

(8) Third row - If you have kids - get it. You will not be sorry as it also gives you the comfort second row seats. Despite what has been reported otherwise, the second row seats are not flimsy and are far more comfortable than the standard. This is not just about the padding, but because of the recline angles that you will now be able to allow the back passengers to enjoy. Without it, the passengers will be far more upright. The third row itself is more useable than people report. An adult could get in but not for any long period of time comfortably. If you do not get the third row, get the comfort rear seats.

(9) 20" Wheels - Most people do not realize that when you order 20" wheels, it includes a flare over the wheel wells. This makes the X5 much more athletic looking. The staggered wheel configuration also completely changes the look of the X5. This is the easiest and best way to transform the look of the X5 more than anything else.

(10) Black Window Trim - I applied the 3M gloss tape to the trim about a year ago and it still looks perfect. No one can tell that this is not original black trim and it does not show finger prints. Its the best $200 I ever spent.

These are just the items that stand out. After having just checked the competition again, I am even more thrilled with my X5. Good luck to everyone considering one but there is nothing else out there that is more fun to drive with the best seats in the industry.
Hi how is race Chip doing after 5 years? Any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #33
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp335 View Post
Glad to hear you're still loving you f15. The 3M gloss back looks great, and I love the mod.

I've thought about adding the racechip ultimate but am slightly concerned about extra wear on the engine. However, the gains you get and lack of tune with mppk for the d may push me over the edge. I didn't think the chip alone would shave nearly a second of your 0-60 time though. That sounds too good to be true.
The improvement the Racechip makes is totally true. It makes more of an improvement on the diesel than on any other model. This is the best money spent I could have imagined. Don't worry about ware as 42Pilot reviewed, in the case of the diesel, it has been down tuned so much there was a lot to play with. This is a very similar engine to the 40d. The increases are totally within spec.
I agree no problems with wear etc. Have had RC on both my X5 e70 30d and X4 F26 30d. However really doubt on 5,4 sec. The F15 30d/35d (us) Standard is around 6,8 and the 40d 5,8 as I recall. The 30d engine with RC do not get more power than the 40d in standard - 5,4 seems therefore unrealistic.
Appreciate 0