BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-21-2016, 03:14 AM   #1
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

First Service - Tidbits, Misc Ramblings

Forewarning - long-winded post below!

Just got the car back from its first scheduled service. Outside of the normal oil change, inspection, free wiper blades, etc. I asked them to investigate three things:
1. HUD setting memory intermittently not changing between key usage, i.e. my wife's settings vs mine
2. Groaning steering column in cold weather as it descends upon entering the car
3. Soft-close actuator in the right rear passenger door - two weeks prior, the door spontaneously unlatched at speed; only time that's ever happened

I also asked whether they were going to update the firmware or not and to my surprise, my SA said that unless there was a specific issue or reason to, they don't like to do so for fear of introducing new problems! So, all my coding stayed in tact post service!

Results of the three issues above:
1. Could not duplicate behavior during the four business days they had the car (explanation for extended duration forthcoming); tried all sorts of combos, etc. and couldn't dup. Not a big deal as it's not a showstopper. I just need to hit my seat memory button when it happens.

2. Couldn't duplicate this one either as it's gotten a bit warmer compared to the previous 2-3wks. Tech did partially take apart the plastics on the column and lubricated parts he could reach. I specifically asked them to not tear the entire thing apart unless they were able to duplicate and have high confidence in the fix. So far, no groaning, but will see if that holds up if we get another cold snap.

3. This one is why they kept the car from Friday until tonight. Tech reported no stored codes regarding the door unlatching by itself, but upon inspection of the door innards, he found something off w/ the locking mechanism itself, so it needed replacing. Upon further research, the tech found TSB #51 16 14 that called for replacement of all four soft-close actuators along with the "Bowden Cables". Covers for the actuators were also installed. I recall old threads regarding the spontaneous door openings where actuators were replaced under warranty, but I didn't think it reached TSB level. The actuators are definitely a new design, as confirmed by my SA. They operate regardless of whether the door is slammed shut or whether you actually use the soft-close feature. That is, prior to the replacement, when I'd slam the car doors shut, I heard/felt nothing since the door was securely shut. When I partially shut the door, I could hear the actuators kick in and squeeze the door tight. The new actuators appear to be double-failover units in that even if I slam the door shut, I'll hear the motor power up and try to squeeze just in case it still wasn't securely latched.

Overall, I'm pleased with this first service. The whole process was painless. My SA was great about keeping me informed each day. I never had to call him.

Misc Rambling - I got a 2016 328i Wagon as a courtesy car and got much seat time due to the extended service.

Pros/things I discovered are must-haves in my next BMW:
1. Surround View - how awesome is this feature?!? Thought actually crossed my mind to trade in my '14 and get a '16 w/ this feature!
2. MC Seats - the air bag feature for side bolstering makes a huge difference IMO
3. DA - this car didn't have it, which made me realize the HUD is a must-have for me going fwd
4. DAP - only for the blind spot detection; makes life so much easier; would turn off lane departure and frontal collision warnings
5. HK sound at a min. Base system is just weak all around.

Cons/annoyances/differences vs F15:
1. The amber blinker on the side mirrors are horribly distracting and annoying. Thank goodness the F15 is "missing" that little plastic piece that makes the blinker visible to the driver!
2. 328i motor just has to work too damn hard; reminds me of my 1.8T of old; peppy engine, but just has to huff and puff too much. 35i is the min for me going forward
3. Fire the brilliant person who decided that only one door lock/unlock button was needed and that it should be placed below the hazard light button! Pouring down rain with my son screaming to unlock his door and I kept looking for the button on the door by the handle/window buttons. Finally I pulled the remote out to unlock. Stupid, stupid, stupid design!
4. So many little cost-cutting measures as compared to the F15. Most buttons/mechanisms felt plastic-y and notch-y vs our X5s. Door handle unlatching felt clunky vs the X5, etc. Not poor quality or cheap, mind you, just noticeably different in order to hit the $30K+ price point.

Ok, I'm done rambling now... as you were.
      01-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 M sports

Nice write up. I have not gone in for my first service but my door have un-latched with soft-door couple of months ago so I will ask the SA to look into it. (read posts before) Surround view is amazing and I tell my wife she should never park the car without using it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Loved the surround view on my previous E70 and realized how useful it was with assisting in parking in tight spaces. I had to get it in my F15 as well Same goes with the multi-contour seats.. I can't live without having the most comfortable sports/luxury seats I've ever sat in
      01-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
The actuators are definitely a new design, as confirmed by my SA. They operate regardless of whether the door is slammed shut or whether you actually use the soft-close feature. That is, prior to the replacement, when I'd slam the car doors shut, I heard/felt nothing since the door was securely shut. When I partially shut the door, I could hear the actuators kick in and squeeze the door tight. The new actuators appear to be double-failover units in that even if I slam the door shut, I'll hear the motor power up and try to squeeze just in case it still wasn't securely latched.
Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I wonder what month and year your X5 was built. Mine was built in November 2015. I have the soft close doors. Like you, I ran across old posts discussing the random opening of the doors. I note that my soft close door actuator does kick in and squeeze the door tight, even when the door is slammed shut (like when my wife gets mad at me). This leads me to believe that my X5 has the new design for the soft close door actuator.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc
Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I wonder what month and year your X5 was built. Mine was built in November 2015. I have the soft close doors. Like you, I ran across old posts discussing the random opening of the doors. I note that my soft close door actuator does kick in and squeeze the door tight, even when the door is slammed shut (like when my wife gets mad at me). This leads me to believe that my X5 has the new design for the soft close door actuator.
My car was an Aug'14 build IIRC and I purchased it in Nov'14, so def an older F15. Your car is basically new, so we'd need someone with an earlier '15 build with soft-close doors to chime in if we are to narrow down the cutover date to the new actuators.
      01-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

There is a thread from last year about the door unlatching at speeds. There is a BMW bulletin about this issue. It happened with my first F15 and on my re-order I opted against soft-close. If your dealer does not know about the bulletin you may want to raise the issue with them.

Last edited by MattBianco; 01-21-2016 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Jimmie48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Xdrive35D

For my last loaner they gave me a base X5 with leatherette. Only real option it had was the HK system. After getting my car back some of the things I missed were:

Surround view. Im addicted and for nothing else it keeps me perfect in my space to avoid door dings as best I can as well as curbs.
Leather. Cant believe Leatherette is even an option.
HUD. Cant live without it now that I am so used to it. For nothing else but the speedo.

Things I didnt miss.
Soft close doors, honestly most people slam the door anyway and if the car tells me the door is still ajar I will stop and close it. This is a useless feature imo and the X5 I had without it almost felt like the front doors closed better.
Lane departure. I have learned to ignore the vibrating steering wheel for the most part. I know its trying to help me but just like my cardiologist says I dont avoid steak either.
Comfort rear seat....we have carseats for the forseeable future so I really dont need them till probably my next car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
A little off topic, but related for service... do they replace your wipers with the same as new car wipers, just the inserts, or do you now have inferior maintenance wipers?

Anyways last time I was in for a warranty issue, they gave me a loaner and I was really confused why BMW still made cars with halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod
A little off topic, but related for service... do they replace your wipers with the same as new car wipers, just the inserts, or do you now have inferior maintenance wipers?

Anyways last time I was in for a warranty issue, they gave me a loaner and I was really confused why BMW still made cars with halogen lights.
New wiper blades. I don't even think inserts are even possible these days due to integration with the aero blades themselves.
Part numbers called out on my paperwork match blade sets. #618010 and #618021.
      01-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
Doanster
Major
Rep

One quick question for people... the loaner car had Sirius activated and I noticed it showed album artwork for currently playing songs. My car has never had that capability, only showing the station graphic. Does artwork show up for those of you who use Sirius? Thx.
      01-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I got Sirius and no album art. Just station art.
I think you have to get the enhanced multimedia Bluetooth option? I do have the album art for my iPhone via Bluetooth or usb connection.
      01-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I got Sirius and no album art. Just station art.
I think you have to get the enhanced multimedia Bluetooth option? I do have the album art for my iPhone via Bluetooth or usb connection.
Thx. I never updated to the latest BT/USB software version either, so might try that as well.
      01-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
New wiper blades. I don't even think inserts are even possible these days due to integration with the aero blades themselves.
Part numbers called out on my paperwork match blade sets. #618010 and #618021.
If you look at the X5 wipers they are actually the frame wipers with an aero cover instead of the unibody wipers that were hot a few years ago.

I know on another vehicle I have the PIAA Aero Vogue (which look like these BMW wipers), and you can definitely get replacement wiper inserts hence my concern.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod
If you look at the X5 wipers they are actually the frame wipers with an aero cover instead of the unibody wipers that were hot a few years ago.

I know on another vehicle I have the PIAA Aero Vogue (which look like these BMW wipers), and you can definitely get replacement wiper inserts hence my concern.
Worry no more then. I received new blades. The plastic is brand new with nary a scratch on them.
      06-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
E90325M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Doanster, how many miles does your car in the first service? Mine is 7xxx miles and plan to do the first oil change in dealer of KUNI BMW. Thanks.
      06-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #16
Doanster
Major
Rep

I think around 9K if I recall correctly. I took it in a little late after the car told me it was time to do so.