BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Danc77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5

F15 35i BlackVue dashcam w/Magic Pro Installation

Here is my installation of BlackVue DR500 dashcam that I retired from my old car. Hope to help out anyone that is thinking of doing this.

There are a few ppl on the forum use the back fuse box but since I only have the front dashcam I took the advantage of the front passenger fuse box for ease of installation.

Parts List
  • 1 x BlackVue DR500
  • 2 x Add Circuit Mini blade fuse holder (Got this from Ebay)
  • 1 x BlackVue Magic Pro (Got this from Ebay)
  • 2 x 5A mini blade fuse (Got this from AutoZone)

I used the following two fuse slots for the installation
1. Fuse #42 for ACC+ cable or switched power
2. Fuse #41 for BATT+ cable or permanent battery power

Routing the dashcam power cable
I took the same route as most of the ppl who install their dashcam.
I was able to tuck the cable all the way to the fuse box w/o removing anything or use tape.
The red line is how I route the cable.
Once you route to the fuse box, just connect it to the "cigarette jack" from the Magic Pro then tuck it away to the back or side of the fuse box.

All the cables before tuck into the side of the fuse box.

Installing add a fuse holder and ground cable.
Make sure to insert the new fuse to the "output line" see pic below.

Once it's installed.

For the ground cable, I loosen the screw to the front of the fuse box then just tighten it with the ground.

Connection to the Magic Pro
I just pull the magic pro cable connection to the side of the cover since there is enough room and won't clip the cable.

Fixed to the cover.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
08bmw128i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danc77 View Post
Here is my installation of BlackVue DR500 dashcam that I retired from my old car. Hope to help out anyone that is thinking of doing this.

There are a few ppl on the forum use the back fuse box but since I only have the front dashcam I took the advantage of the front passenger fuse box for ease of installation.

Parts List
  • 1 x BlackVue DR500
  • 2 x Add Circuit Mini blade fuse holder (Got this from Ebay)
  • 1 x BlackVue Magic Pro (Got this from Ebay)
  • 2 x 5A mini blade fuse (Got this from AutoZone)

I used the following two fuse slots for the installation
1. Fuse #42 for ACC+ cable or switched power
2. Fuse #41 for BATT+ cable or permanent battery power

Routing the dashcam power cable
I took the same route as most of the ppl who install their dashcam.
I was able to tuck the cable all the way to the fuse box w/o removing anything or use tape.
The red line is how I route the cable.
Once you route to the fuse box, just connect it to the "cigarette jack" from the Magic Pro then tuck it away to the back or side of the fuse box.

All the cables before tuck into the side of the fuse box.

Installing add a fuse holder and ground cable.
Make sure to insert the new fuse to the "output line" see pic below.

Once it's installed.

For the ground cable, I loosen the screw to the front of the fuse box then just tighten it with the ground.

Connection to the Magic Pro
I just pull the magic pro cable connection to the side of the cover since there is enough room and won't clip the cable.

Fixed to the cover.
What a clean install!!! Question I have, do these automatically record for you when you start driving? I don't want to have to remember to start and stop recording on a dash cam. I thought about doing this today, after I saw a nasty accident and tried to figure out who was at fault!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Danc77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5

@08bmw128i Yes it does even w/o Magic Pro.

Two benefits comes with Magic Pro
1. you can preset the time to record even after you park your car. The minimal setting starts with 6 hours. It also prevent over discharging the battery.
2. Clean w/o using the cigarette jack.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
Amit_Grey_F16
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 F16 30D

Hello there, I am new to the forum. How can view the pictures associated with this post? I am trying to install a dashcam and this would be very useful
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Just tuck the wire behind the roof panel and then tuck it behind the passenger pillar. Then run the wire to behind the glove box. There you can connect to fuses. Just find one that switches on with the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_Grey_F16 View Post
Hello there, I am new to the forum. How can view the pictures associated with this post? I am trying to install a dashcam and this would be very useful
This is an old post, pictures are no longer attached, gone missing for some reason. So there is no way to view them...
Just follow turboawd's instructions.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
Velocifero
Meat Popcicle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35d xLine

Constant Battery Power for the Front Fuse Box

In case someone like me stumbles across this thread trying to install a BlackVue dashcam (or dashcam in general), I wanted to post what I consider necessary updates to this thread. I recently installed the BlackVue DR900X-2CH dashcams in my 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35d and 2006 Acura TSX. The TSX was easier for various reasons, one of which it was easier to find a constant battery fuse.

I wanted to hook up power in the front passenger fuse box so I looked in many many threads and tried many fuses to accomplish this. None of the places people said to tap for constant battery seemed to work (this thread included) - Parking Mode would shut off after about 10 min. It only took me too long to realize BlackBoxMyCar includes a circuit tester in one of their kits. Fuse 39 seemed to do the trick for constant battery power. Parking Mode now works, set to the default "12V & 23.2V" without any electrical errors (yet).

Appreciate 0