evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
what are your thoughts now that you have been driving the 50i for a few months?

I'm trying to decide between a few rigs myself (x5 35i/35d/50i, Yukon Denali, Tundra CrewMax Platinum, 4Runner Limited... still a ways to go!!)

thanks!
Well, thanks evanescent03 for resurrecting my old thread. It was kind of nice to go back in time and look at what I was thinking about back then. Yes, I took delivery of my X5 on November 18, 2015, and I have had it for over two months now. OK, so this is a long answer to your short question.

I absolutely love my X5. I mentioned in another recent thread started by CanDrive55 (who ordered one himself recently) that I am still looking for excuses to drive it.

With regard to the 35i vs. 50i (and also the 35d; it deserves more discussion than I gave it), for me, I am glad I bought the 50i. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The technology is wonderful. At 52 years old, I tend to be more conservative when I drive it. I find myself using eco pro mode frequently to see how high I can get my gas mileage. I also like how eco pro disengages the transmission when coasting. I think it makes a big difference in fuel economy. I wish that feature was available in comfort and sport modes as well. However, this past Friday while driving home (in comfort mode) a motorist ahead of me just could not seem to get out of my way; finally when he did, frustration got the better of me and I floored it and held it there for about 5 seconds (believe it or not, first time I did that). I just had no idea the kind of power it has, particularly when the two turbo chargers gave it their boost. Quite a delight.

Now for the bad. Despite conservative driving and the use of eco pro mode, I struggle to get more than 18 miles per gallon, and I usually get in the 17.5 range. With only a 22 gallon tank, I fill up more frequently than I would like. This is not so bad given the current gas prices but when those prices go back up, it won't be so fun. I also worry about reliability. I have had zero problems with my X5 and, since I purchased rather than leased, I plan to keep it for a while. But comments from some of our fellow forum members over reliability cause me some concern. Of course, the worst part is the price. Goodness gracious that was a lot of money, and this was for a depreciating asset. Didn't I learn that you should not spend money on a depreciating asset and save, save, save for retirement?! Whoever said that forgot about our desire to live life and have some fun too.

I test drove the 35i and, to be candid, it had plenty of power (and adding the MPPK and those other goodies to the 35i makes that engine a beast). How many times will I actually floor it to enjoy all of that power? In the two months I have had it, I did it once. Not sure once every two months justifies $9,000 more dollars.

I do think the 35d should have gotten more consideration by me. Its torque and miles per gallon are significant and it does not have that loud annoying diesel sound like those General Motors diesels from the 1980's (I had a 1982 Chevy 6.2 liter diesel 4WD pickup that you could hear coming from a mile away - I think it was that memory that caused me to shy away from considering a diesel, and that is too bad). Diesel is also cheaper than premium where I live. In the end, if I had it to do all over again, I would buy the 50i but I have no real justification for it other than I like knowing the power is there and I like the sound of the V8.

Now, for the Ford Explorer, I still like its looks, its power, and the features it has (even a trailer hitch). Recently I rented one while on vacation and, although I still like it, I just could not get comfortable as I had no where to put my left foot. It was just too cramped. I love the left foot rest in the X5. I also found the seats and trim were still cheap looking and the fit and finish was not great either (then again, it did not cost as much as my X5; I guess you get what you pay for).

The thing that bothers me about my X5 (other than the price) was that it does not have a trailer hitch. I plan to install an invisihitch but I should not have to do that, the X5 should have come standard with it. Still annoys me. The black carpeting, while it looks nice, shows every speck of dust. I have to vacuum it out at least once a week. I plan to get the WeatherTech front and rear floor mats and the cargo mat which will help.

As for options, if you decide to get an X5, get as many as you can afford. I took a long look at the results of MattBianco's survey which was very helpful for me. The comments from the responders to his survey were accurate. Some of the options I ordered, while nice, were not critical. For example, I did not need active steering, Bang and Olufsen, or even the cold weather package (particularly here in Florida where flip flops are the state shoe), but the price for these options was in my budget so I ordered them.

I hope you found my comments helpful as you continue evaluating what to buy. Sorry I went on such a long rant.
I could not help but resurrect the old thread... Partly because I was curious what your thoughts are based on your initial impressions, and partly so I did not blame for asking an old question again haha. After having an x5 loaner for a couple days and calling the kids and wife around in it I was extremely happy with it. I was pushing my wife towards the BMW and away from our other choices tundra, Denali, Range Rover Sport. I was happy with the increase in size from the x3 to the x5, the power in the 35i is adequate but I am a bit of a power junkie. I think I would have gone for the 35d for fuel range, or the 50i for the power. the interior is very nice and there wasn't much to complain about.

We went and test drove a Toyota Tundra Platinum yesterday...what a beautiful truck inside. It is very large and the motor is starting to feel a little old to me but the space offered was something you simply cannot get in a BMW. since I want to be able to tow, the tundra had a leg up there also since it already has a hitch and trailer brake. apparently the Land Cruiser is on a long wait, the general manager has been waiting over 2 months to get his own and I'm sure it will be longer than that for us to get ours. We are leaving the area soon and would love to have our new truck before we leave.

We went end took a second drive in a Denali and when I realized how much more nimble it is compared to the tundra, and the amount of extra space we have over the x5, we settled on that. The motor and the Denali is pretty satisfying as well. I think I will continue to lust after the x5 50i but I think I will be more happy having the extra space and the second row captain's chairs.

thank you for your thorough after ownership review. I think if I had the 50 I would probably get about 11 miles per gallon, haha. Just like in my f80 m3 I average well below the estimated combined rating. I don't go flat out all the time but I do like getting up to speed. enjoy your truck and maybe I will pick one up next time.

Appreciate 0