BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Send address from Google to navigation

Is this included with the X5? Or do I have to pay for something (like I did with the ML350, it was called MBrace, IIRC)?

That feature, BTW, is awesome. I don't care how good they make navigation screens in cars, nothing is faster (or more accurate) when you're putting together a big road trip with lots of stops than Google Maps and a QWERTY keyboard. I typically don't even use the nav in my cars because it's such a PITA to load destinations, I use my Garmin for long road trips..

Oh, and, does anyone happen to know if the navigation in the 14's recognizes GPX files? Like, can I put a card/USB stick in with a bunch of GPX files on it (like a Garmin would use) and have them import as destinations?

And finally, for anyone who hasn't used the new Garmins.. If you travel a lot and have to rent cars, do yourself a favor and buy one of the new 2014 models. I had a 2010 Garmin and replaced it with a new (moderately priced, not the top of the line) one, OMG, it's so much better. Faster, better navigation directions, better correction (if you get off course). It's awesome.

I honestly wish all these car vendors would stop trying to do "Garmin" better than Garmin and just pay them to embed their software. It's just leaps and bounds better than what I have in my 2011 Jag or 2012 ML350 (and was even when those cars were brand new). <rant off>
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70

X5 gps is very good. Seems on par with my Garmin.
You can send an address to your X5 on google maps I've done it on the new version as well. Searching for sending address to car on google maps answered my questions.
You have to go to the add section to add a contact. Among the options includes a car and a prompt for manufacturer. You'll be prompted for your id which is identical to the one you use with Bmw connect. You must have this account for this address sending via google to work (which can be setup by pushing your SOS button).
Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Send to car app with BMW assist works way better. Search my thread posts as I am out at the moment. I have provided step by step process on getting it to work. We get BMW assist for free for 10 years on our X5s
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

The HUD with the GPS is freaking outstanding. I just did a trip up to NY, CT and back to NC and having the GPS nav info on the HUD made the trip really easy. Distance to turn, lane info, street name all right there in front of your face is makes life so easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
You need to have a google account and a BMW assist account (which you should on a new BMW). Log into your google account, configure you car with google and you can send to you car

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Send to car app with BMW assist works way better. Search my thread posts as I am out at the moment. I have provided step by step process on getting it to work. We get BMW assist for free for 10 years on our X5s
How is the send to car app any different than the Bmw My Remote app in terms of functionality?

Although, I for one am pretty impressed with how easy it is to use the nav with voice commands. I've had a really easy time finding points of interest. And it's all google searches, so I know the accuracy is on point.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
How is the send to car app any different than the Bmw My Remote app in terms of functionality?

Although, I for one am pretty impressed with how easy it is to use the nav with voice commands. I've had a really easy time finding points of interest. And it's all google searches, so I know the accuracy is on point.
In terms of functionality, you have 2-3 extra options with My BMW Remote such as lock/unlock your car, flash your headlights, and sound your horn. I've noted from other users of this application, that it acts up and is not always consistent. It also takes a longer time to send the destination to your car at times. Send To Car is just a simple application that allows you to directly use the Google Maps application on your phone and share directly any address from there. Here's what I wrote in another thread with some edits to better clarify things:

For My BMW Remote for iPhone, you just do it directly from the app. My BMW Remote is a bit wonky and slower. Send To Car is actually really fast (2-3 second send time).

For Send To Car, you just go to Google maps within your phone, get a location, hit the share button, select Send To Car from the list of applications. It will then open up Send To Car and you select your car BMW and enter in your BMW Assist username in all caps (your username is whatever email you setup with BMW assist). Then, click send and it sends to your car in 2-3 seconds. In Connected Drive in the iDrive menu, go to BMW Assist Messages - this is where your sent map navigation location appears giving you the option to navigate or call the location's number if it has one. If you haven't set up BMW Assist, press the SOS button in your car to talk with a BMW Assist representative to guide you through the first time setup.

I know it's pretty easy with voice command, but let's face it, our phone is the fastest way to search anything. With one click, we can send the address straight to our BMW. I have used the feature countless times and it saves me so much time.

Also, the car does not have to be on or anywhere near you. Your phone data is used to send from Send To Car directly to your car, wherever it is. As long as your car is in a location where it receives signal from BMW Online, it will automatically have the message waiting for you when you turn it on and view BMW Assist Messages.

Last edited by opasha; 06-29-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

For Canada:
ZTY Connected Drive Services Prof w/ARTII
Includes 7 items such as Internet, BMW Apps, Real Time Traffic etc.
Then you need to subscribe for monthly internet access.

Connected drive is needed to send google maps to car
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

In the UK:

Options ZNS Connected Drive Services package - 6AN Information Plus 6AP Remote Services. You pay £230 for the service.

I have found the 'send the google maps to car' service VERY hit and miss. It worked well for the first 6 times I used it, hasn't successfully worked since. Frustrating to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
In the UK:

Options ZNS Connected Drive Services package - 6AN Information Plus 6AP Remote Services. You pay £230 for the service.

I have found the 'send the google maps to car' service VERY hit and miss. It worked well for the first 6 times I used it, hasn't successfully worked since. Frustrating to say the least!
Are you using My BMW Remote or Send To Car application? My BMW Remote I heard sucks.

My BMW Remote: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...w.remote&hl=en

Send To Car: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...endtocar&hl=en

I have zero issues with Send To Car. My BMW Remote does not work in the US yet for Android. It is only for iPhone currently. After exchanging emails with BMW of North America, they have no information on any future of it coming to the Android Platform in America (why am I not surprised? ).

Last edited by opasha; 07-01-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Are you using My BMW Remote or Send To Car application? My BMW Remote I heard sucks.

My BMW Remote: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...w.remote&hl=en

Send To Car: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...endtocar&hl=en

I have zero issues with Send To Car. My BMW Remote does not work in the US yet for Android. It is only for iPhone currently. After exchanging emails with BMW of North America, they have no information on any future of it coming to the Android Platform in America (why am I not surprised? ).
Hi. Having registered beforehand, in Googlemaps, clicking on 'send to car' or whatever link is at top right beneath origin/destination.
Will try the iPhone app and see how they compare!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Hi. Having registered beforehand, in Googlemaps, clicking on 'send to car' or whatever link is at top right beneath origin/destination.
Will try the iPhone app and see how they compare!
Hm...seeing as you have an iPhone, I'm not familiar with Apple's layout of Google Maps; I have a Note 3 (Android). Can you post a screenshot? Let me know how the other applications work for you.
      07-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Hm...seeing as you have an iPhone, I'm not familiar with Apple's layout of Google Maps; I have a Note 3 (Android). Can you post a screenshot? Let me know how the other applications work for you.
Hi. Just tried out the iPhone app and it works whereas the Google Send To Car still nothing....did you want me to screen shot the iPhone app?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I have to be one of the very few that don't have an I-phone or android. Would this work with a computer or does it need an app to work with?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I have to be one of the very few that don't have an I-phone or android. Would this work with a computer or does it need an app to work with?
Yes you can sir!

Log into BMW......https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.de/cd...n?locale=en_UK (assume its a similar syntax for US)

and click through to My services and BMW Routes.

You can enter a start/end and then send to the car that you have configured on the site. Easy!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

^^^ or try the "send to car" google link, posted # 10 by Opasha.
All you need is "connected drive" and BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Somehow I don't think that I have Connected Drive, or I have it and don't have the service. I was almost sure I ordered it, but looking at it, I don't know. How do you know if you have it. I have it listed on my drive and get to it, but then it says send info and I don't have any info to send.

Not computer challenged but BMW and app challenged.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Somehow I don't think that I have Connected Drive, or I have it and don't have the service. I was almost sure I ordered it, but looking at it, I don't know. How do you know if you have it. I have it listed on my drive and get to it, but then it says send info and I don't have any info to send.

Not computer challenged but BMW and app challenged.
Aren't we all

With my previous X5 I wasn't sure so emailed BMW via their web site; Once you have logged in on the main screen, "Contact Us" is at the bottom. Either fill in the form or call 'em. Takes about 24-48 hours for an answer this side of the NATL.

They told me my car did not have CD which is why it didn't work

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

There are two things you can do if you're still confused.

1) If you haven't activated your BMW Assist account, press the SOS button above until it starts blinking and you should see it connecting to BMW via your LCD panel. From there, talk to a representative on getting it set up so you can use Online Service or Applications with your phone as I have mentioned above. Here's their phone number as well: 1-888-333-6118

2) Some people mentioned the BMW Genius hotline. You can call them, and they apparently walk you through all the tech of the car and might be able to tell you everything regarding what you have and don't have. BMW Assist might be able to as well, so ask them as well.
BMW Genius Hotline — 1.844.4GENIUS (443-6487)
Available Monday through Saturday, 9:00am-9:00pm (EST)
If you would prefer to send us an email, please contact bmwgenius@bmwusa.com
      07-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #20
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

For the US Connected Drive is standard. Consists: 6ac BMW Assist eCall, 6ae BMW TeleServices, 6ak BMW Online, 6am Advanced Real Time Traffic Information, 6ap Remote Services, 6nr BMW Apps, 6ns Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smart phone Integration.

For Canada ZTY Connected Drive Prof w/ARTTI ( 6ak, 6am, 6an, 6ap, 6ar, 6nr, 6ns). $850. (note: 6an is Concierge Services & 6ar is Internet). Since I did not order ZTY, I cannot use google "send to car". This is different for 2013 F25, as ZTY ( Connect Drive) was not necessary only BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
For the US Connected Drive is standard. Consists: 6ac BMW Assist eCall, 6ae BMW TeleServices, 6ak BMW Online, 6am Advanced Real Time Traffic Information, 6ap Remote Services, 6nr BMW Apps, 6ns Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smart phone Integration.

For Canada ZTY Connected Drive Prof w/ARTTI ( 6ak, 6am, 6an, 6ap, 6ar, 6nr, 6ns). $850. (note: 6an is Concierge Services & 6ar is Internet). Since I did not order ZTY, I cannot use google "send to car". This is different for 2013 F25, as ZTY ( Connect Drive) was not necessary only BMW Assist.
That's lame, but I guess that's marketing. BMW tries to save money where it can and bases it on high sales in select countries.
      07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Yes, I am from Canada and has the same issue where I have to subscribe for $850

Best workaround is to add a Contact to your iPhone, Bluetooth to sync the Contact to your vehicle and access the address from there
Appreciate 0