BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Urgent help needed with my 5th BMW purchase

I feel like I'm really getting shafted on this deal. My previous cars, 335, 2-X5's and 535 I was able to get 3-5,000 off of MSRP and still get a fair value for my trade. Currently I have a 2012 X5 M sport 35i Xdrive with 20,000 miles. with HK audio, Multi contour seats, 4 zone AC, soft close doors, premium Pkg, tech pkg, bmw apps, stickered for $67K. Now the X5 was backed into and had the front bumper repaired and new clear bra installed at a cost of $3800 by BMW, so there's a car fax report on. The new X5D stickers for $74,595. They offered $32,000 for my '12 X5 and only knocked $1700 off of the new one for a trade difference of 40,895. Is it me or are they trying to $%@& me? I understand a carfax can hurt your cars value. Cadillac offered me 41,000 for my '12 X5, which is close to KBB's price and I feel is fair value for my trade. So why can't BMW give the same? they can easily sell this as a CPO with an extended warranty and still make a good profit. What am I missing here guys? Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
$32,000 for '12 X5 with 20,000miles?
That's crazy.
I sold my '09 335i (sticker for $54k) with 58,000 miles for $28k two years ago.
And it had a BAD key scratch on the quarter panel.
Considering yours is younger car and X5 that hold value much better, $32k is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Take it to a better BMW dealership and tell them about Cadillac's offer and that you're deciding between the new X5 and Escalade. That way they'll be baited to buy it off you for a comparable price. If I were you, I would bring the paperwork that Cadillac wrote up for the trade in as proof to help your case. The current dealership is trying to rip you off.
      06-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Why... Because they are a dealership and they make money doing this. I have had many dealers price there cars high and offer low dollars for the trade. That's the game. If you don't like it go someplace else. Of course the Merc dealer will over pay because you pulled in to their dealership with a competitors car. They will have no problem making $500 to get you into a Merc. Take your time and you will be fine.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Eee-ghads (I wonder how you spell that correctly), that's an AWFUL deal.

First off, 1700 off invoice is terrible. 74K sticker probably means in invoice price of around 67K or so (go to KBB and find out). You should be able to buy that truck for, at most, 2K or so above invoice. So, if I had to guess, I'd think that instead of 72K, you should be looking around 69K or so for the new truck.

As for your old car; first thing, find a Carmax nearby and get an estimate from them. That will give you a negotiating position because Carmax will buy your car, no questions asked, without you buying anything from them. Their quote is also good for 7 days.

If Carmax offers you more, and you really can't work this deal with your local dealer, I'd look at buying it from one of the guys who frequent these boards and will do a PCD for you. PCD, from what everyone says, is a good time, and, you could wind up saving thousands of dollars. Drop your current car at Carmax and then fly out to SC to pick it up.

However, once you're in that position (ready to buy online and have a firm offer on your car) you'll find that most dealers will be ready to match is pretty quickly, and you can keep the business local. It's just a PITA that you have to go through all these hoops.

One more thing, find out if they are doing an Un4gettable event anywhere near you. If so, go and do it immediately! That gets you another 1K to spend on the purchase of the new car. Negotiate the deal without telling the dealer you have that cert, then give it to them after you've hit the best possible price. You'll get another 1K off (and the dealer won't care, it has no impact on their bottom line).

Finally, not to add to the pressure here, but, if you want a '14, you need to move FAST and make sure your dealer has allocations left. The production line for the '14s is shutting down very soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

A tainted carfax report will nail you no matter how much the repair cost. The dealer can't CPO a car with a tainted carfax.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
A tainted carfax report will nail you no matter how much the repair cost. The dealer can't CPO a car with a tainted carfax.
Another reason to never own these cars (only lease). If you lease and the car is in an accident, it's the leasing companies problem to deal with the bad Carfax. If you buy, it's your problem (and can cost you 1000's, even if the damage was very minor).

If you buy a luxury car, you better be looking to run it until it's worth ~10-20K (when the Carfax frankly won't really matter much anymore).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Great advice here...Right now your local BMW dealer doesn't feel any pressure to give you a deal on the X5. Little ridiculous considering the number of vehicles you've bought from them, but I guess they now feel entitled.

You should show them the offer Cadillac gave you, hopefully you got it in writing. If you didn't, wouldn't be a bad idea to be on the cellphone with your Cadillac salesman while talking numbers inside the BMW dealer to really get them to feel pressure and show them that you're serious. I did this once and got my dealer to give me full value for my trade (they were giving me the same run around with it being in an accident and while its true that it will hurt your value since it won't be CPO, shouldn't cost you $10K+ or more on such minor vehicle damage).

And if all that does fail, there are some great dealers on here who can give you a quote that you can use with your local BMW dealer. As overtaxed mentioned, you can just buy online from a bimmerpost dealer and do a PCD. Turn it into a nice little summer vacation! Or take that online offer to your local dealer and watch how quickly he matches it! I haven't had much luck with CarMax though. I sold my RSX-S 3 years ago to get our old X3 -- CarMax offered me $8K ($3K below KBB value IIRC), I ended up selling it private party 2 weeks later for $12K on autotrader and had 2 buyers committed at that price.

Is it possible your dealer isn't budging much on the new X5 because it's a 2015 model? You'll probably have to wait a few months for the best deals on those.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for all the great ideas. This is why I live on these forums. There's only one BMW dealer in my area. There is one 2 hours away and one 3.5 hours away. What makes me scared to buy from another dealer is service after the sale. They can refuse to service my car since I didn't buy from them. This happened to me on my Lexus GS. I told my dealer about caddies offer and even showed them the paper. They said they'd give $36K for my trade. So they increased another $4K but wouldn't budge beyond that. I just bought a loaded 535 8 months ago. Got $5600 off from incentives and what the dealership took off.

So how do I find a bimmerpost dealer? Also I don't have any carmax in my area.

Thanks again for the great info!
      06-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

" They can refuse to service my car since I didn't buy from them."

Not if they want to stay a dealer for BMW they can't. Frankly, I don't think Lexus allows this either; you just need to play hard ball with these guys; your money is green and BMW will beat them with a stick for refusing to service your car, that's just not "allowed", at least not per everything I've ever heard. They can refuse to give you a loaner (but they can do that even if you buy there), but they can't refuse service, in or out of warranty.

What a bunch of jokers you have for a dealer. Have you considered moving?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Great advice here...Right now your local BMW dealer doesn't feel any pressure to give you a deal on the X5. Little ridiculous considering the number of vehicles you've bought from them, but I guess they now feel entitled.
This is exactly why. Most people think they get the best price for being loyal (as would be fair), but most of the time they think you will buy it anyway, as you have done before, so they offer you a crappy deal. Tell THEM the offer you got from Cadillac, they will be ashamed I hope, and if they dont offer better, go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

I have 4 dealers in my area in about 100 mile radius and I am pretty sure they wont go down less than $1500 on MSRP because of the demand here. Instead of going back and forth on the deals and getting frustrated, I decided to go with any dealer that offers me close to invoice (with PCD).

Its just one day travel to SC, you will get trained on all the features for more than 2 hrs and what not. I guess you might be spending nearly $500 including flight price and the gas that would take to Little Rock (either way you mentioned its 1 or 3 hour drive from your local dealers). But, you would be saving nearly 3K+ and spend them towards your options. After all, you will be enjoying the features for lifetime instead of paying money into someone's pocket. Think about it

Don't worry about the service. They have to check-in anyone that comes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed
" They can refuse to service my car since I didn't buy from them."

Not if they want to stay a dealer for BMW they can't. Frankly, I don't think Lexus allows this either; you just need to play hard ball with these guys; your money is green and BMW will beat them with a stick for refusing to service your car, that's just not "allowed", at least not per everything I've ever heard. They can refuse to give you a loaner (but they can do that even if you buy there), but they can't refuse service, in or out of warranty.

What a bunch of jokers you have for a dealer. Have you considered moving?
I live in Arkansas so that should explain the crappy dealers. I just need a loaner since I take call and if I have to have my car in for service, I still have to be able to get to the hospital.
      06-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik
I have 4 dealers in my area in about 100 mile radius and I am pretty sure they wont go down less than $1500 on MSRP because of the demand here. Instead of going back and forth on the deals and getting frustrated, I decided to go with any dealer that offers me close to invoice (with PCD).

Its just one day travel to SC, you will get trained on all the features for more than 2 hrs and what not. I guess you might be spending nearly $500 including flight price and the gas that would take to Little Rock (either way you mentioned its 1 or 3 hour drive from your local dealers). But, you would be saving nearly 3K+ and spend them towards your options. After all, you will be enjoying the features for lifetime instead of paying money into someone's pocket. Think about it

Don't worry about the service. They have to check-in anyone that comes.
Ya I'm going to look at doing a PDC if I can find an internet dealer. I'm definitely getting tired of getting bent over. They obviously don't care about repeat business.
      06-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1
Quote:
This is exactly why. Most people think they get the best price for being loyal (as would be fair), but most of the time they think you will buy it anyway, as you have done before, so they offer you a crappy deal. Tell THEM the offer you got from Cadillac, they will be ashamed I hope, and if they dont offer better, go elsewhere.
No they weren't ashamed. They actually told me that Cadillac made a mistake and that I should take their offer. @ssholes!
      06-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
So how do I find a bimmerpost dealer? Also I don't have any carmax in my area.

Thanks again for the great info!
Send a PM to GOLFFRR from Steve Thomas BMW on these forums. Looks like he actually just started a thread in the X5 forums yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Quote:
Ya I'm going to look at doing a PDC if I can find an internet dealer. I'm definitely getting tired of getting bent over. They obviously don't care about repeat business.
I understand your situation as you are good customer to them and have bought 4 vehicles with them. They need to learn how to treat customers like you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

It's ironic because the dealerships we have bought multiple vehicles from have always given us the BEST deals to keep our business. That sucks that yours doesn't care.
      07-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
It's ironic because the dealerships we have bought multiple vehicles from have always given us the BEST deals to keep our business. That sucks that yours doesn't care.
Yep. You should definitely call your dealer out on this skalberti. Just say something like "hey, remember that 535i that I bought from you 8 months ago? You sold it to me for $XXX over invoice (whatever the actual number was, make sure to base it off invoice and not the MSRP). If you'd like to earn my business again, I want to get the same deal on the X5."

Are you dealing with a different salesman or something? He should know he just cut you a deal on the 535i.

Only other things I can think of is he's pricing out a MY2015 (like I mentioned before), and 8 months ago when you got your 535 there were some BMW incentives that aren't around now, but there is un4gettable going on now which will knock off $1K. You should have got a flyer in the mail for this.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #20
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. You should definitely call your dealer out on this skalberti. Just say something like "hey, remember that 535i that I bought from you 8 months ago? You sold it to me for $XXX over invoice (whatever the actual number was, make sure to base it off invoice and not the MSRP). If you'd like to earn my business again, I want to get the same deal on the X5."

Are you dealing with a different salesman or something? He should know he just cut you a deal on the 535i.

Only other things I can think of is he's pricing out a MY2015 (like I mentioned before), and 8 months ago when you got your 535 there were some BMW incentives that aren't around now, but there is un4gettable going on now which will knock off $1K. You should have got a flyer in the mail for this.
No I've used the same CA for my last three cars. No incentives going on now for X5D. I should be able to at least get the owner loyalty $1000 shouldn't I? I talked to my SA today, he said they're having management problems because of stuff like that. He was amazed how they treated me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I've used the same CA for my last three cars. No incentives going on now for X5D. I should be able to at least get the owner loyalty $1000 shouldn't I? I talked to my SA today, he said they're having management problems because of stuff like that. He was amazed how they treated me.
The Un4gettable code is a straight 1K to the bottom line. Negotiate the deal without it, then spring it when you've get to the best numbers you think you'll get and have them hack another 1K off the price. They don't care, it's 1K in their pocket. But if you tell them ahead of time, they'll try to roll it all in and suck up that 1K as profit.

And yes, this is pretty amazing; I'd order the car from an out of state dealer and go there and ask them how to use the navigation system just to rub their faces in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #22
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, unfortunately they're not giving us owner loyalty at the moment on the X5. See this link.

un4gettable is the only incentive available for X5 right now, you should have got an invitation in the mail for it, if not try this link.
Appreciate 0