BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-21-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Hot electrical smell after startup for a few minutes

I'm getting a warm electrical smell upon startup, seems to be coming through the HVAC vents. I really only notice it when it's cold out. After a few minutes the smell goes away.

My first thought is maybe a vent door/diverter that's sticking and I'm smelling the motor get warm trying to move it. Since all of our doors/diverters reset when we turn the vehicle on/off, this would make sense why I only smell it at start up. My only other thought is, and it may just be coincidence, but I don't recall smelling this before I installed my MMI box.

Others on bookface suggest looking for oil leaks. Oil and electrical have two very distinct smells, and this is electrical for sure. But, have checked for oil leaks and I see nothing.

Any thoughts before I go ripping everything apart?

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0