BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

What kind of camera shenanigans was going on with my test drive today?

I had a test drive in a '14 35d that had Driver Assistance Plus (and $28k of other options!)

Since any Texas girl on a test drive needs an icy beverage, we cruised through a McDonald's drive through. (My CA knows that I do such things and he's cool with it.) When we came around the corner after ordering and approached the car in front and the side of the building, the iDrive display started showing various views around the car, like the left side next to the building (since we were really close I guess). That was the precise point where my son declared that the car was cool.

The display went back to normal a few seconds after we pulled away with the icy beverage safely in the cup holder.

Was all that automatic camera action some function of the Active Driving Assistant?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

It's called Surround View. It's part of the Driver Assistance Plus Package, like Active Driving Assistant is also part of. I believe you can get this feature a la carte as well now. And, yes, your son nailed it on the head. It is quite cool.

Z.
      07-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

What he said. If there's an object close by (say you're stuck in traffic and a bike passes near your mirror), Auto PDC (Park-Distance-Control) is invoked. You can turn this option OFF in iDrive if you don't like it (I'm yet to find a person who doesn't though).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh man, the F16 is only spec'd to have Side and Top View cameras in Driver Assistance Plus package. However, the order code for that is still 5DL just like the surround view on the F15.

I wonder if they're actually the same and someone just got all old-school when typing in the names on the F16 order sheet. They're not really big on giving the same order code to different things.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Oh man, the F16 is only spec'd to have Side and Top View cameras in Driver Assistance Plus package. However, the order code for that is still 5DL just like the surround view on the F15.

I wonder if they're actually the same and someone just got all old-school when typing in the names on the F16 order sheet. They're not really big on giving the same order code to different things.
Top View = Surround View

It'll be the same as what's currently available in the F15 X5. 1 front camera, 2 mirror cameras, and 1 rear camera produce a composite 360-degree view of the area surrounding the car.

In my opinion it's invaluable to keep things pristine when parking or navigating tighter spaces.
      07-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Did the car have the Park Assist option?
This sounds like the auto-enable for the Park Assist. If you drive slowly for a short distance, the car assumes you are looking for a parking space and turns on the Park Assist function automatically (this can be disabled in iDrive if you don't like it). This turns on the surround view and starts looking for parking spaces automatically for you.

It turns off again automatically as you drive off and reach a certain speed (I think it is around 19mph) or can be turned off manually by pressing the Park Assist/reverse camera button on the centre console

Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
It may have. When it does, does it have a button in the center of the dash where the lock button used to be with a circle around (something, a P maybe)? Since it was lit up and looked so enticing, we pressed it. It brought up video from the cameras. Got rid of that quickly!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja
Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
It may have. When it does, does it have a button in the center of the dash where the lock button used to be with a circle around (something, a P maybe)? Since it was lit up and looked so enticing, we pressed it. It brought up video from the cameras. Got rid of that quickly!
That button actually is a shortcut to the safety systems that come in the Driver Assistance Plus package. Includes Lane Departure Warning, Front Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and one other I can't remember off the top of my head. The surround view is manually activated by a button with a camera icon located next to the shift in the center console. As pointed out by other posters, surround view can also come on automatically, depending on iDrive settings.