BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
tricky trev
Rep
Drives: 2014 X40idrive

Angry 2014 F15 X drive 40D ventilation whistle

Before you buy a new X5 .....close the drivers side window vent, have the fan speed on low or medium. If it's anything like mine it'll drive you mad, a whistling noise that varies in pitch depending on speed of fan.
THIS IS A BRAND NEW £60,000 CAR.

The response from BMW listed below.

As you know, we have had the car in for diagnosis, and deemed the car to be operating normally; that is to say there is nothing faulty with the car, and the noise you are experiencing is a characteristic, due to the additional ventilation hole in the pipe which feeds cool air to the rear of the instrument cluster. Clearly, we would not want to cover or obstruct this hole, as this could cause additional issues which would then potentially not be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Am so sorry about this, I do not even want to try it, it would drive me mad. THe noise from the armrest already drives me mad (the left side), so when it starts to bother me I move the hand to right hand side which is further away so I end up leaning to the right looking like I am "cruisin" and all I need is a toothpick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky trev View Post
Before you buy a new X5 .....close the drivers side window vent, have the fan speed on low or medium. If it's anything like mine it'll drive you mad, a whistling noise that varies in pitch depending on speed of fan.

As you know, we have had the car in for diagnosis, and deemed the car to be operating normally; that is to say there is nothing faulty with the car, and the noise you are experiencing is a characteristic, due to the additional ventilation hole in the pipe which feeds cool air to the rear of the instrument cluster. Clearly, we would not want to cover or obstruct this hole, as this could cause additional issues which would then potentially not be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
tricky trev
Rep

1230vani,

Must be a characteristic of the 30d Msport .....couldn't possibly be a fault or design issue !!!!!!!

Reminds of the film .....TOTAL RECALL

Tricky
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I have to add I would buy the car again, it has few minor things that are disturbing. As I drove it today, it is really quite and full of torque and I have a 30d model. Am sure 40d is just ideal for this car. Enjoy the car and hopefully you can think of a way how to live with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
tricky trev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I have to add I would buy the car again, it has few minor things that are disturbing. As I drove it today, it is really quite and full of torque and I have a 30d model. Am sure 40d is just ideal for this car. Enjoy the car and hopefully you can think of a way how to live with this issue.

Yes, It's the third X5 I've had, used to have a coupe 645 but now hooked on X5's. must say I've looked at other SUV's but in my opinion the X5 still is my preferred choice.
Would I buy another .....yes, but I'd now check for any noise issues with vents, if I found any I'd say not until it's sorted.

The 40D engine performance certainly is very, very impressive !!

Tricky
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky trev View Post

Tried this on my 40D and no whistling at low or med speed, not even with fan at full power, must just be one of those things
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
tricky trev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Tried this on my 40D and no whistling at low or med speed, not even with fan at full power, must just be one of those things

NPickles,
The dealer had my car for a week, I was told that a new X5 just delivered had the same issue, hence my thoughts that this was a design flaw.

Thanks for your post, I'm going to the dealer next week and will show your
findings.
The dealer is first class in service and customer care, so it'll be interesting to hear their thoughts.

Thanks again for your post.

T
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

40D M Sport here and no issue.
Appreciate 0