BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #23
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

screw in runflat

I got a screw/nail in my Pirello PZero 20" tire with only about 4000 miles on it. I had read on forums that it was recommended not to repair (but rather to replace) runflats and I didn't want to shell out the money for a replacement when the tires were relatively new. I was hesitant to go to the dealer for this reason.

I had it repaired at my local Firestone. Patch applied, no problems since then. I was told by the guys there that I would not be able to have it patched a second time (not sure why this is). For now it seems to be working fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
I'm at the dealer getting my scheduled maintenance, and found a screw in my 335/25/22 PZero in the rear passenger side. Ugh...

They won't touch it since it's not factory. Only replace it. These tired are only couple of months old. Will set me back $750. Better get it patched.

Z.
Z, seriously, you always get something with your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbragg View Post
I got a screw/nail in my Pirello PZero 20" tire with only about 4000 miles on it. I had read on forums that it was recommended not to repair (but rather to replace) runflats and I didn't want to shell out the money for a replacement when the tires were relatively new. I was hesitant to go to the dealer for this reason.

I had it repaired at my local Firestone. Patch applied, no problems since then. I was told by the guys there that I would not be able to have it patched a second time (not sure why this is). For now it seems to be working fine.
Patching a RFT is fine as long as it is not on the sidewall, which any puncture on the sidewall are not repairable regardless RFT or non-RFT.
The only downside with patching RFT, where the manufacturer doesn't recommend it, because the integrity of the RFT is changed.
But, based on my knowledge, the difference between RFT and non-RFT are just the sidewall design. That's why you got harsher ride compares to the non-RFT where the sidewall is flexible than the RFT due to the RFT sidewall design is to withstand the weight load while at 0psi with maximum rolling speed of 55mph.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Z, seriously, you always get something with your car.

Tell me about it. I pulled up to the dealer to get my car serviced for scheduled maintenance, and when I'm walking around my car, I noticed the screw.

Got it patched today, though...and wheels rotated. So all is well again.

Z.