BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Is M suspension equivalent to adaptive drive?

Is the M suspension that you can get on the F15 now relatively equivalent to the adaptive drive that you could get on the E70?

I had adaptive drive on both my E70 and E71 and I absolutely loved it. Considering that the M suspension is a $900 upgrade vs a $3500 upgrade for adaptive drive, I'm dubious.

For those that have had both, what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Do a search on this, there's been lots of discussion on this topic already. Because I have the 3rd row seating option, my M Sport came with the Adaptive Suspension and air ride rear axle as standard.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
SpeedN8
Slower traffic keep right.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35d & '18 M4 Coupe ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Is the M suspension that you can get on the F15 now relatively equivalent to the adaptive drive that you could get on the E70?

I had adaptive drive on both my E70 and E71 and I absolutely loved it. Considering that the M suspension is a $900 upgrade vs a $3500 upgrade for adaptive drive, I'm dubious.

For those that have had both, what do you think?
I have both and it's my first time with adaptive drive. I love it! I'm not likely to ever own another X series BMW without adaptive drive. I'm much too spoiled now...

Check out the thread I posted titled: E70 50i to F15 35d suspension differences Cavman has an excellent response to my question and it should help you as well.
      07-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedN8 View Post
I have both and it's my first time with adaptive drive. I love it! I'm not likely to ever own another X series BMW without adaptive drive. I'm much too spoiled now...

Check out the thread I posted titled: E70 50i to F15 35d suspension differences Cavman has an excellent response to my question and it should help you as well.
Caveman had an excellent response in that thread. However, he's talking about the Dynamic Performance Control (DPC) that is in the E70/F15 DHP that is on all E71 X6s by default, but will now be optional on F16s (argh!). I definitely plan on ordering that because it would be a whole different beast without it. I'm assuming that it will be exactly the same since it has the same name.

My E71 most definitely handled better than my E70 (both with AD) and I suspect that, besides the fact that its a tad tinier, its because of that awesome DPC. Granted, my E70 did also have a 3rd row though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
Do a search on this, there's been lots of discussion on this topic already. Because I have the 3rd row seating option, my M Sport came with the Adaptive Suspension and air ride rear axle as standard.
So far, with doing searches, I've found a whole bunch of stuff that is not true since they are comparing adaptive drive to DHP which I know darned well is not true or else they would have never have had the adaptive drive option on an X6 that already included DPC. Or they are talking about E70 w/o adaptive drive compared to regular MSport on E70->E70, or some other combination that I'm not talking about.

I'm not being lazy, my searches seemed to be fruitless. Perhaps I just haven't searched for the magic combination of words.

I think that from some reading from some people that were being all technical-like about it (as opposed to giving me how they felt about it):

This: 2VF+(2VP form of DHP) = Adaptive M Suspension + (Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization)

Would be equivalent to my base X6+2VA (DPC+adaptive drive). The DPC is obvious and the AD is now split across 2VF and 2VP.

Does that sound right?

It peeves me that when they announce the pricing on the 2015 X6 I'm sure that they'll say that its 'only' $xx above the previous model. However, they'll fail to mention that you'll have to add a $4500 option to bring it up to the same default car. It cost ~$9k more than an E70 for a reason (in the initial MY, both DPC and AD were standard -- Expensive stuff. They eventually decoupled only the AD). Now they'll just charge more because they can. From what I can tell, my build will probably cost $15k more than almost the exact same thing did only 3y ago. Gosh. I know, they're not a charity.
Appreciate 0