BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

MSRP Question

I was at the dealership this afternoon planning to place an order but came away without accomplishing my goal. I'm not sure if it was the arrogance or the money but I didn't think I was being treated fairly.

The good news is that I have finalized my wish list and the MSRP (including delivery) totals $76,725. How much is the dealership making on a vehicle with this MSRP? Maybe his margins are tighter than I thought and I was expecting too much!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Dealers differ in attitude and willingness to negotiate. The price you get will depend partly on whether you live in a high volume area with a lot of dealerships.

Don't expect to get a great deal at the beginning of an annual cycle though ...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

There are a number of sites where you can go to check values in your area. Truecar.com and Edmunds.com, for instance. Edmunds will let you put in the specs you want and give you the estimated invoice price as well as a comparison of the price for a similar in your area.

To Buckerine's point, a lot depends on your area, and the fact that the model year rollover is next week (8/1). It took me quite a while to talk my dealer down at all, and this is the 3rd vehicle I've purchased through them. Even with some history there, I still only got a small amount off of MSRP. Gone are the days when you could talk them down to close to invoice price, at least here.

Good luck to you.
      07-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
There are a number of sites where you can go to check values in your area. Truecar.com and Edmunds.com, for instance. Edmunds will let you put in the specs you want and give you the estimated invoice price as well as a comparison of the price for a similar in your area.

To Buckerine's point, a lot depends on your area, and the fact that the model year rollover is next week (8/1). It took me quite a while to talk my dealer down at all, and this is the 3rd vehicle I've purchased through them. Even with some history there, I still only got a small amount off of MSRP. Gone are the days when you could talk them down to close to invoice price, at least here.

Good luck to you.
Exactly. For my next car, I'm doing PCD which will open me up to dealerships nationwide. Should be able to get a much better deal that way, not to mention a memorable delivery experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

I was in the same situation like you when I was ready to order a car. When I negotiated the price, dealer told me to come on a day when you are ready to order the vehicle. But if I have fixed something in the mind to order the vehicle and the price is not negotiable, I will not be happy. I understand that if they take the quote to their manager, that would be final.

My MSRP was $77,300 and the local dealer told me that he can go $500 less than MSRP and as I got a quote from other dealers close to invoice, I took it to the dealer to match and he came back saying 7% - MSRP as the final figure. But the actual invoice is $1000 above than what other dealer quoted me as final amount. Thanks to this forum and all the members who are helping us understand the right process. With out this forum, I would have gone with MSRP price.

After going back and forth with couple of dealers negotiating the deals, I ended up with a decent number.
Appreciate 0