BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Online Purchase and PCD Pickup

I'm not real happy with the results of my attempt to negotiate a deal for a 2015 X5 with my local dealership. I understand that some dealers, regardless of where they are located, are willing to sell a vehicle to be picked up at the PCD.

Has anyone actually done this? How did you handle having a car to trade in (sell)? Would you do it again?

While I would rather buy locally (still do PCD), unless the local dealer is willing to negotiate more, I may look at this option.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
I'm not real happy with the results of my attempt to negotiate a deal for a 2015 X5 with my local dealership. I understand that some dealers, regardless of where they are located, are willing to sell a vehicle to be picked up at the PCD.

Has anyone actually done this? How did you handle having a car to trade in (sell)? Would you do it again?

While I would rather buy locally (still do PCD), unless the local dealer is willing to negotiate more, I may look at this option.
I thought about doing it. There are some dealers who others have used who regularly will sell at good prices if you'll take PCD across the country. I was able to finally (3 dealers later) negotiate a good deal. Honestly, what I do, tell your dealer what you want. Tell him in e-mail. And tell him that if he can't get there on price, you're going to look on the Internet for a dealer that will do it at 1K over invoice for PCD. That should motivate him. Also, make sure you do the Un4gettable sales event; I think that's still going on and will get you 1K off the best price you can negotiate, no questions asked.

As far as selling your car. First, get the dealers you are working to make you and offer. Sometimes they will give you a high offer and bump up the price of the truck, make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot by focusing on purchase price. After you have numbers from 2 dealers, take the car to Carmax (or, actually, I'd do this first if you have one nearby). They will buy the car, no questions asked, and will give you a written offer. If you go down the PCD route, sell it to Carmax. If not, you can use their offer to negotiate your dealer up on trade in price.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:

HansRobert,

Send me a PM with what you are looking for in the X5 and I'd be happy to provide you with a quote. I'm a CA at BMW of Bel Air in MD.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I thought about doing it. There are some dealers who others have used who regularly will sell at good prices if you'll take PCD across the country. I was able to finally (3 dealers later) negotiate a good deal. Honestly, what I do, tell your dealer what you want. Tell him in e-mail. And tell him that if he can't get there on price, you're going to look on the Internet for a dealer that will do it at 1K over invoice for PCD. That should motivate him. Also, make sure you do the Un4gettable sales event; I think that's still going on and will get you 1K off the best price you can negotiate, no questions asked.

As far as selling your car. First, get the dealers you are working to make you and offer. Sometimes they will give you a high offer and bump up the price of the truck, make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot by focusing on purchase price. After you have numbers from 2 dealers, take the car to Carmax (or, actually, I'd do this first if you have one nearby). They will buy the car, no questions asked, and will give you a written offer. If you go down the PCD route, sell it to Carmax. If not, you can use their offer to negotiate your dealer up on trade in price.
How does Carmax values compare? Do they seem fair?

There is a disadvantage of going this route which is sales tax. Without trading a vehicle the entire price of the sale is subject to 6% sales tax here in PA. If you trade a vehicle one only has to pay the taxes on the difference. So this needs to be taken into consideration as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

Quote:

I attempted to do this and it ended up being a complete nightmare. My CA never submitted the paperwork for PCD and eventually asked me to fly to NY to pick up the car. The dealership acted like they had never done PCD for an out-of-state customer before, even claiming that every customer must walk through their door. Then why the h*ll did the CA take my purchase order and tell me PCD would be no problem? Big scam if you ask me. Escalated all the way up to the GM and finally decided they were not worthy of my business. I am sure for every horror story this is probably a success story as well. One thing I learned throughout the whole process was never sell your car before you have a new car in hand. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Steve Thomas BMW is well known and highly regarded as a remote/PCD dealer. PM GOLFRR.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
Steve Thomas BMW is well known and highly regarded as a remote/PCD dealer. PM GOLFRR.
I agree. Try Steve or some of the other dealers that post frequently on that other Bimmer site in the "ask-a-dealer" section. They should be very familiar with PCD.
Appreciate 0