BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

A dealer can make you very sad... and pissed

I ordered the X5 M50d in December and was very anxious for it to go into production in March; so I bombarded the dealer (we have a monopoly here, which basically says it all) with e-mail in order to get a production week. This failed (sending a proper e-mail to Munich HQ didn't help much either); eventually I got an e-mail from the dealer that my order status changed from 112 to 150, got my VIN as well. I was all like , checking VIN decoder every day until after a few days it finally appeared and... that's when my "oh yeah" mood went into WTF?! Long story short - there was no 688 (Harman Kardon) put in, the one I paid for and signed for on the order form.

Contacted the dealer immediately hoping that this can still be solved on the 150 stage but while I was waiting for the VIN to appear on the VIN decoder (circa 3 days), the car went to 155... So there I am, having paid 30% deposit (dealer req.) for a car cost > 100k EUR with no HK in it. The dealer verbally offered to retrofit HK at their expense, so I'm waiting for a formal on paper signed reply from them acknowledging they screwed up big time along with their offers to resolve this.

Having bad dreams (well not literally, just a way of speech) about my new X5 trim being ripped apart to install HK, the service guy forgetting a bolt somewhere so I have rattle noises, breaking pistons and scratching nappa... I never would've thought that car order could turn into my personal nightmare. On the bright side - I'm going to give them hell during delivery - hope they are prepared for a few hours inspection with photos, test-drive and everything, inch by inch.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #2
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Saddddd
When I am reading such posts from different guys I start afraid about my bmw which has to arrive beginning-mid May
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #3
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
I ordered the X5 M50d in December and was very anxious for it to go into production in March; so I bombarded the dealer (we have a monopoly here, which basically says it all) with e-mail in order to get a production week. This failed (sending a proper e-mail to Munich HQ didn't help much either); eventually I got an e-mail from the dealer that my order status changed from 112 to 150, got my VIN as well. I was all like , checking VIN decoder every day until after a few days it finally appeared and... that's when my "oh yeah" mood went into WTF?! Long story short - there was no 688 (Harman Kardon) put in, the one I paid for and signed for on the order form.

Contacted the dealer immediately hoping that this can still be solved on the 150 stage but while I was waiting for the VIN to appear on the VIN decoder (circa 3 days), the car went to 155... So there I am, having paid 30% deposit (dealer req.) for a car cost > 100k EUR with no HK in it. The dealer verbally offered to retrofit HK at their expense, so I'm waiting for a formal on paper signed reply from them acknowledging they screwed up big time along with their offers to resolve this.

Having bad dreams (well not literally, just a way of speech) about my new X5 trim being ripped apart to install HK, the service guy forgetting a bolt somewhere so I have rattle noises, breaking pistons and scratching nappa... I never would've thought that car order could turn into my personal nightmare. On the bright side - I'm going to give them hell during delivery - hope they are prepared for a few hours inspection with photos, test-drive and everything, inch by inch.
Bad news. Good luck with the retro-fit....if you can do such a thing :
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Bad news. Good luck with the retro-fit....if you can do such a thing :
The dealershit sounded firm that they can, i.e. the wiring and everything else is there and the package (extra speakers+subs+trim) coming from the factory just needs fitting + reprogramming the computer for Logic7 to appear. I just hope this is true... because I had to opt TV or Navi function for the HK to be added to the car in the first place (talk about irony) - so I went with cheaper TV option which won't work here anyway (Navi won't either, so you just throw a few thousand EUR for a slightly bigger screen + ability to spec HK). I'll see what their formal response will look like; fingers crossed everywhere
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Where did the cock up occur? I assume at the build stage or was the HK never actually ordered by the dealer?
I have a copy of the order my dealer has placed showing a breakdown of the build including each standard feature and the options I chose. I assume you had this document too?

What a pain in the arse for you, I hope they manage to sort it out for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Where did the cock up occur? I assume at the build stage or was the HK never actually ordered by the dealer?
I have a copy of the order my dealer has placed showing a breakdown of the build including each standard feature and the options I chose. I assume you had this document too?
100% on the dealer - the factory never received the order to put it in. I signed the order (simple contract with list of options, relative codes, prices, etc.) when I was actually ordering the car. I did not bother to request some sort of VIR (their sales guys never heard of this anyway) from their internal system - figured a monkey can double-check what the hell they're entering in the system before sending it as final to the factory for a car with this price tag... Besides, we checked 3 or 4 times the order itself throughout these months (Dec to Mar) to make sure everything is there.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
I don't think it will be a problem. My dealer did that on my 335 and I had no problem whatsoever. From what I understand it's a pretty common upgrade.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Sorry to hear. The dealer install should be fine, just find out that a junior is not doing the install. I think the speakers are different, as the A pillar have HK on the speaker/grill covers.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

What a pain! But good luck with the install - it should be ok.
See if they'll lend you something nice while the install is being done.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

Slightly OT: The European maps in the navigation system have no content for Cyprus? Really?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
See if they'll lend you something nice while the install is being done.
For now just verbally, but they assured me that the retrofit package would be ordered ASAP and therefore arrive well before the actual car (which should be rather soon shipped from Spartanburg factory to Munich for the final quality control checks/etc.); so they'd install HK once the car is in Cyprus and then do the delivery "as if all was done at the factory".
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomac2 View Post
Slightly OT: The European maps in the navigation system have no content for Cyprus? Really?
Yeap, you'd be surprised that not a single brand (mind I only checked Audi/BMW/MB) offers a working navi for this small island. There's plenty of working solutions (iGO/GIS/etc.), but my best guess is that none of these old maps live up to the proper standards, so they just don't bother with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I've been through the same "disappointment" concerning my F15 order when I checked on BMW archive with my VIN and I realized that my configuration will be with smoking package, but I clearly asked for NON smoking package. Finally I discovered that the F15 is currently NOT available with non smoking package, all models produced are with the smoking package, which explained why the configuration wasn't correct. In fact my CA told me there was a problem when they tried to place the order for non smoking package, and they had to delete it. The point is that they never called me back to give me this info until I discovered it by myself.

I think it should be a mandatory practice that dealer sends to their customer an EXACT list of the configuration actually ordered to BMW factories, because then we could double check that everything is correct and correspond to the contract before production started (and before this is too late). I've heard too much stories about people pissed of to not get the exact configuration wanted because there was a mistake somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

And I thought only US BMW dealers were bad.......
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
And I thought only US BMW dealers were bad.......
Nope..but at least they are consistent!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4termelon View Post
I've been through the same "disappointment" concerning my F15 order when I checked on BMW archive with my VIN and I realized that my configuration will be with smoking package, but I clearly asked for NON smoking package. Finally I discovered that the F15 is currently NOT available with non smoking package, all models produced are with the smoking package, which explained why the configuration wasn't correct. In fact my CA told me there was a problem when they tried to place the order for non smoking package, and they had to delete it. The point is that they never called me back to give me this info until I discovered it by myself.

I think it should be a mandatory practice that dealer sends to their customer an EXACT list of the configuration actually ordered to BMW factories, because then we could double check that everything is correct and correspond to the contract before production started (and before this is too late). I've heard too much stories about people pissed of to not get the exact configuration wanted because there was a mistake somewhere.
Mine came without smokers package. I have a little rubber mat where the ashtray should be. It seems there are different rules for different countries.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Really ?? What was your production date ? Could you post a photo of the rubber part (and without it) ? My CA promised me to retrofit the non smoking package but he still has too identify exactly what parts needs to be ordered. From what I ve seen on bmw etk, I would only have to replace the ashtray with the rubber mat you got and the lighter with a plastic cap (this one is the same on all BMW models).

Thanx!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #18
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

The story came to a more or less happy end for both sides. After numerous conversations with the dealership, we found a peaceful solution which resulted in a 4k EUR discount for me and a free TV option (whilst that doesn't work here, it at least gives you a 10.x inch screen if I read the ETK right).

I clearly understood that they're not feeling comfortable with the HK retrofit having to take apart the whole car (center console, seats, carpet, door & pillar trims, etc.); thus resulting myself not to be convinced they could pull it off.

Besides I was reassured by quite a few people I asked about this, that I should be grateful this mistake actually happened and with the compensation/discount I could easily go with a far better aftermarket solution with brands like Audison, Eton, Focal, Morel and similar. Just need to find someone worthy to take on the job But that is a story for another time.
Appreciate 0