BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #155
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

On a side note: Remind me to unsubscribe to the X5M "random pictures" thread! It makes me miss driving mine. 😞
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #156
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Quote:
Only LL01 Motul in 5W40 flavor was X-Cess and now X-Cess GEN2.
BMW LL approvals have highest oxidation standards in industry. New 2018 update is so high that eliminated pretty much all 0WXX oils in LL01 and LL04 category.
But, even before Sport was always oil between X-Cess (all necessary approvals) and 300V. 300V is your ultimate racing weapon. But not so good choice for daily driving. So Motul offered Sport as option for track and dropping kids to daycare. Still, ester based, high oxidation, loaded with track specific additives.
Here is Sport pds from 2014. Only specification in meets is API SM.
Excellent oil, but unless you see track on weekends, not best choice:

http://webshop.swindonpowertrain.com...s/Sport_5W-40_(GB).pdf
What would be your recommendation for LL01-FE (other than not using it)?

Motul makes their Specific which is compatible. Curious what you would recommend.

Thanks
Motul specific LL01 FE is pretty stout. HTHS is 3.4cp which is on the verge of LL01 minimum HTHS of 3.5.
But, SAPS byproduct is, as far as I remember, 1.42%. That is ridiculous SAPS byproduct. More SAPS, more CBU. I personally think anything above 1.2% is too high for DI engines. BMW obviously thinks it is ok as it is approved oil, but still.
If warranty is still on, yes. Otherwise, LL01 is what to go or pretty much any oil that has MB229.5 approval.
IMO, Castrol Edge 0W40 is best bang for a buck. PAO based, stout HTHS, excellent cold pumpabilitiy, really good Noack for 0W40 oil.
@edycol

Sounds like you have some serious oil knowledge!

So you recommend castrol 0w-40 over liquiMolly 5w-30 or amsoil 5w-30 for the s63? I live in missouri where it can get down zero F

What about my f80 that is weekend/track car? I usually run liquiMolly 5w-40 In that.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #157
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Only LL01 Motul in 5W40 flavor was X-Cess and now X-Cess GEN2.
BMW LL approvals have highest oxidation standards in industry. New 2018 update is so high that eliminated pretty much all 0WXX oils in LL01 and LL04 category.
But, even before Sport was always oil between X-Cess (all necessary approvals) and 300V. 300V is your ultimate racing weapon. But not so good choice for daily driving. So Motul offered Sport as option for track and dropping kids to daycare. Still, ester based, high oxidation, loaded with track specific additives.
Here is Sport pds from 2014. Only specification in meets is API SM.
Excellent oil, but unless you see track on weekends, not best choice:

http://webshop.swindonpowertrain.com...s/Sport_5W-40_(GB).pdf
What would be your recommendation for LL01-FE (other than not using it)?

Motul makes their Specific which is compatible. Curious what you would recommend.

Thanks
Motul specific LL01 FE is pretty stout. HTHS is 3.4cp which is on the verge of LL01 minimum HTHS of 3.5.
But, SAPS byproduct is, as far as I remember, 1.42%. That is ridiculous SAPS byproduct. More SAPS, more CBU. I personally think anything above 1.2% is too high for DI engines. BMW obviously thinks it is ok as it is approved oil, but still.
If warranty is still on, yes. Otherwise, LL01 is what to go or pretty much any oil that has MB229.5 approval.
IMO, Castrol Edge 0W40 is best bang for a buck. PAO based, stout HTHS, excellent cold pumpabilitiy, really good Noack for 0W40 oil.
@edycol

Sounds like you have some serious oil knowledge!

So you recommend castrol 0w-40 over liquiMolly 5w-30 or amsoil 5w-30 for the s63? I live in missouri where it can get down zero F

What about my f80 that is weekend/track car? I usually run liquiMolly 5w-40 In that.
So, S63 runs fairly cold from my understanding. I don't own S63, I have E90 so not familiar exactly what are you oil temperatures in various conditions.
Most important thing is HTHS. Grade itself is not that important. You want with S63 to be in 3.5-4cp range with HTHS. That being said, for strictly DD, Castrol or Mobil1 0W40 are best bang for a buck and top options. BMW's in general like Castrol oil and always return great UOA. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 is another great option. It is basically 5W30 oil but has very strong HTHS due to GTL base stocks. All these oils are step up from Liqui Moly.
My favorite is Castrol Edge 0W30. It was always euro enthusiast favorite. But it is becoming hard to find it and it is more expensive from its heavier version, Castrol 0W40.
Considering that S63 runs around 200-206f oil temperatures, you want to be on a thinner side.
Also, in MO, any oils I mentioned would do good. I started 5W40 at -40 here in CO in X5 35d.

As for F80, you have great thread in F80 section where I addressed exactly question you asked.

Another engine oil thread. Castrol Edge/Pennzoil/ Liqui Moly? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1764629
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #158
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quick update: I spoke with the warranty company today, and was informed that the circumstances have now changed. It seems that the one used engine in NA is no longer available. (which one of you on this board bought it? Lol) So now they are back on the hunt for other options to save them money vs. paying for a new engine from BMW. They went to 3 of their parts vendors for quotes and time frames and are suppose to get back to me tomorrow morning.
The silver lining here is that the unavailability of a used engine may force them to use a new engine.
The selling dealer (and cause of the engine failure ) has made it clear that they will not offer anything. I've consulted with a couple of attorneys and will make a decision this week, but of these were confident in the case against the dealership.
In the mean time my wife and I have started shopping for cars. I think we are going to have to purchase another one, as this looks like its going to take awhile.
Appreciate 4
Surgx572.50
sly1types431.50
9vapors653.50
ajob463.50
      01-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #159
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerbry View Post
Quick update: I spoke with the warranty company today, and was informed that the circumstances have now changed. It seems that the one used engine in NA is no longer available. (which one of you on this board bought it? Lol) So now they are back on the hunt for other options to save them money vs. paying for a new engine from BMW. They went to 3 of their parts vendors for quotes and time frames and are suppose to get back to me tomorrow morning.
The silver lining here is that the unavailability of a used engine may force them to use a new engine.
The selling dealer (and cause of the engine failure ) has made it clear that they will not offer anything. I've consulted with a couple of attorneys and will make a decision this week, but of these were confident in the case against the dealership.
In the mean time my wife and I have started shopping for cars. I think we are going to have to purchase another one, as this looks like its going to take awhile.
Would you be opposed to doing a RK stock engine that has a warranty? I think they have them in stock.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #160
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Would you be opposed to doing a RK stock engine that has a warranty? I think they have them in stock.

No, definitely not. The problem is that the warranty company originally denied the use of a RK engine due to RK only providing a warranty on parts and not labor.?? I think I will definitely revisit this option with them though. I would probably prefer to use an RK engine.
I feel like we are being held captive somewhat by the warranty company and the dealerships refusal to make things right. The vehicle has been sitting since Dec 22nd, and we've gotten absolutely no where!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:11 AM   #161
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F85 X5M

Quote:
No, definitely not. The problem is that the warranty company originally denied the use of a RK engine due to RK only providing a warranty on parts and not labor.?? I think I will definitely revisit this option with them though. I would probably prefer to use an RK engine.
I feel like we are being held captive somewhat by the warranty company and the dealerships refusal to make things right. The vehicle has been sitting since Dec 22nd, and we've gotten absolutely no where!
You need to lawyer up to get them moving faster. At least a simple initial interaction with a lawyer will make sure that you mean business.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #162
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishfish87 View Post
You need to lawyer up to get them moving faster. At least a simple initial interaction with a lawyer will make sure that you mean business.
At the very least a stern letter from an attorney to BMW NA chief counsel copying national and regional execs.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 08:43 AM   #163
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishfish87 View Post
At the very least a stern letter from an attorney to BMW NA chief counsel copying national and regional execs.
Unfortunately, BMW NA or the servicing dealer have no obligation here. The selling dealer is liable for repairs.
Appreciate 2
jiggz2153.50
      01-11-2022, 11:50 PM   #164
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Unfortunately, BMW NA or the servicing dealer have no obligation here. The selling dealer is liable for repairs.
Makes sense. I would still be knocking heads together to make sure that I got the issue resolved one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #165
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Saw this on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8952...3253449431321/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Surgx572.50
      01-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #166
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Thank you so much for that post! Very much appreciated.
I think we have come to an agreement with the warranty company on a new engine. I will definitely follow up on this if it doesn't work out.
Thank you again
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #167
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Thank you so much for that post! Very much appreciated.
I think we have come to an agreement with the warranty company on a new engine. I will definitely follow up on this if it doesn't work out.
Thank you again
Amazing news, keep us posted. GLWS!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #168
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

**Update - Finally Moving Forward***

Hey guys,
I just wanted to give an update on my X5M. Because I fought the warranty company and their delay in approving this claim. The used engine that they wanted to use is no longer available. They have now worked with my local BMW dealership and just authorized a new BMW engine to be ordered and installed. They did not approve of OEM replacement turbo's, but have ordered after market turbo's which my dealer says will be just as good. Considering where we started this claim at over 3 weeks ago and looking at a $35k service bill.
We feel pretty good about now receiving a brand new OEM BMW replacement engine. The servicing dealership is estimating 10-12 days to have everything completed.
The owner of the dealership that we spoke with continues to be a world class A-hole and will provide zero assistance, even with providing a loaner vehicle. After further investigation it appears that the selling dealership has an ownership stake in the warranty company. On the surface it looks like they are simply transferring the claim off of one company onto another. So rather than the dealership take the hit for their negligence, they have chosen to shift it to their warranty company. So the dealership is compensated for selling the warranty at the time of purchase and then put the claim onto said warranty company regardless of fault. (The warranty was never disclosed to us, and they did not provide us with a copy of the purchase agreement. We have requested a copy 3 times now in the last 2 weeks) After this issue came up, we were informed that the warranty was just included in the purchase of the vehicle?????

On another note, the one thing that I would like change about our X5M is the gap between the tires and the wheel wells or body of the vehicle. Can anyone recommend a reasonable option to reduce this without compromising the ride (it's already extremely stiff) and without breaking the bank? I figure if its in service, I might as well get a few things done to her.

Thank you again everyone, I appreciate you all!! Blessings

(Also a few of you have asked for a contact name and # for the BMW rep. I have requested this and was informed that they are prohibited to give these out. I'm working with my service center to get this, and may have the attorney request it)

Last edited by Bankerbry; 01-13-2022 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 5
9vapors653.50
Surgx572.50
P111591.50
      01-13-2022, 04:41 PM   #169
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Hey guys,
I just wanted to give an update on my X5M. Because I fought the warranty company and their delay in approving this claim. The used engine that they wanted to use is no longer available. They have now worked with my local BMW dealership and just authorized a new BMW engine to be ordered and installed. They did not approve of OEM replacement turbo's, but have ordered after market turbo's which my dealer says will be just as good. Considering where we started this claim at over 3 weeks ago and looking at a $35k service bill.
We feel pretty good about now receiving a brand new OEM BMW replacement engine. The servicing dealership is estimating 10-12 days to have everything completed.
The owner of the dealership that we spoke with continues to be a world class A-hole and will provide zero assistance, even with providing a loaner vehicle. After further investigation it appears that the selling dealership has an ownership stake in the warranty company. On the surface it looks like they are simply transferring the claim off of one company onto another. So rather than the dealership take the hit for their negligence, they have chosen to shift it to their warranty company. So the dealership is compensated for selling the warranty at the time of purchase and then put the claim onto said warranty company regardless of fault. (The warranty was never disclosed to us, and they did not provide us with a copy of the purchase agreement. We have requested a copy 3 times now in the last 2 weeks) After this issue came up, we were informed that the warranty was just included in the purchase of the vehicle?????

On another note, the one thing that I would like change about our X5M is the gap between the tires and the wheel wells or body of the vehicle. Can anyone recommend a reasonable option to reduce this without compromising the ride (it's already extremely stiff) and without breaking the bank? I figure if its in service, I might as well get a few things done to her.

(Also a few of you have asked for a contact name and # for the BMW rep. I have requested this and was informed that they are prohibited to give these out. I'm working with my service center to get this, and may have the attorney request it)
Great news! Now you've got some piece of mind with a BMW approved engine being installed by a qualified BMW service center.

I'm sure the Google/Yelp review for the selling dealer will be a lot of fun for you to submit when this finally blows over.

Lots of info on this forum about lowering an X5M. Most members here will agree the only route to improve handling & looks w/o compromising the ride quality is to spend the $ for coilovers, however this is far more costly than lowering springs & you said you didn't want to break the bank. Most springs will noticeably degrade ride quality. I have the Eibach pro-kit on my 50i which reduces wheel gap w/ no noticeable degradation to ride quality, however this kit is not available for the X5M since it has rear air bags. One guy with an X5M on page 2 at the link below bought the Eibach kit for the front springs and bought the rear adjustable links separately - maybe something you could look into if you don't want to $3000 (plus install) for coilovers (that price is for KW V3).

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=springs
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #170
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Great news! Now you've got some piece of mind with a BMW approved engine being installed by a qualified BMW service center.

I'm sure the Google/Yelp review for the selling dealer will be a lot of fun for you to submit when this finally blows over.

Lots of info on this forum about lowering an X5M. Most members here will agree the only route to improve handling & looks w/o compromising the ride quality is to spend the $ for coilovers, however this is far more costly than lowering springs & you said you didn't want to break the bank. Most springs will noticeably degrade ride quality. I have the Eibach pro-kit on my 50i which reduces wheel gap w/ no noticeable degradation to ride quality, however this kit is not available for the X5M since it has rear air bags. One guy with an X5M on page 2 at the link below bought the Eibach kit for the front springs and bought the rear adjustable links separately - maybe something you could look into if you don't want to $3000 (plus install) for coilovers (that price is for KW V3).

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=springs
I appreciate the advice and the link. I definitely think coilovers is the way to go, and probably worth the money.
Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:34 PM   #171
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=jiggz;28463768]Great news! Now you've got some piece of mind with a BMW approved engine being installed by a qualified BMW service center.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=springs[/QUOTE

Oh, and I can't wait to submit that google review, as well as launch a social media blitz on the selling dealership. They absolutely deserve it, and have gone above and beyond in not taking care of their customer!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:29 PM   #172
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

[QUOTE=Bankerbry;28464603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=springs[/QUOTE

Oh, and I can't wait to submit that google review, as well as launch a social media blitz on the selling dealership. They absolutely deserve it, and have gone above and beyond in not taking care of their customer!
Just be careful with that. I was doing the same to a Subaru dealer in the past and their lawyer hit me up with a cease and desist scare letter. I don't know enough about it to know if there is legal action that could be taken or not, but wasn't worth it to me so I guess it worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:06 PM   #173
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

@Bankerbry congrats on your resolution. Make sure they use the right oil.
Appreciate 2
musa423.00
JMAN1111227.00
      01-13-2022, 11:09 PM   #174
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Excellent!

Quote:
Hey guys,

What a relief that must be for you. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #175
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here's an update!

Progress!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
9vapors653.50
jab23223.50
Surgx572.50
P111591.50
JMAN1111227.00
      01-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #176
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Engine?

Quote:
Progress!!
Don't keep us in suspense too long... What engine did you end up getting?
Appreciate 0