06-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #23
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i would never use any of these squeegee blade devices on any vehicle. they work for the most part but that one time a piece of debris or gravel or sand or anything else gets caught... it will costs hundreds of dollars of damage. a filtered blower or similar would do a better job and not have risk of damage. (an unfiltered blower like a leaf blower may have a sandblasting effect depending on your area.)
iconoclast I've never had an issue. Either I'm lucky or very careful
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #24
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

perhaps both. most professional detailers i know and speak with say stay away from those types of products, especially on a black car. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
So is there a wax or finish that can help guard against water spots?
Not really. In the most harmless form, water spots are caused by any impurities or particulates in the water that are left behind when the water evaporates (similar to what happens when you spill coffee and let it dry without wiping it up). Base coat/finish doesn't really matter since the water spot sits on top.

Some sealants/waxes might do a better job of sheeting the water off the car than others but none will prevent spots altogether. Simple physics says that no wax can prevent water from forming drops on a flat/level surface. That said, a quality wax/sealant can help prevent water spots from etching themselves into the clear (which would require a light compounding/polish to remove).

The only way to really avoid water spots is to either 1.) get a water filter or use distilled water to wash/rinse your car, or 2.) completely dry the car before the water has a chance to evaporate on its own (this is one of the reasons that it's generally better to wash your car outside of direct sunlight and/or when it's really hot outside).

Last edited by double_j; 06-17-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #26
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Not really. In the most harmless form, water spots are caused by any impurities or particulates in the water that are left behind when the water evaporates (similar to what happens when you spill coffee and let it dry without wiping it up). Base coat/finish doesn't really matter since the water spot sits on top.

Some sealants/waxes might do a better job of sheeting the water off the car than others but none will prevent spots altogether. Simple physics says that no wax can prevent water from forming drops on a flat/level surface. That said, a quality wax/sealant can help prevent water spots from etching themselves into the clear (which would require a light compounding/polish to remove).

The only way to really avoid water spots is to either 1.) get a water filter or use distilled water to wash/rinse your car, or 2.) completely dry the car before the water has a chance to evaporate on its own (this is one of the reasons that it's generally better to wash your car outside of direct sunlight and/or when it's really hot outside).
True the salts and minerals will remain after the water drop evaporates I guess I was thinking about a wax or sealant that would prevent it from etching into the clear coat and/or keeping those deposits from sticking e.g. allowing you to wash them off.

I'm not talking about your average water spots. My brother was visiting recently and decided to wash his brand new Nissan HD diesel truck. I warned him about water spots but he waved off my warning. Afterwards he was out there trying to scrub them off all his glass with some spray can stuff. He said damn you weren't kidding. He managed to remove about 90% of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #27
Can Drive 5.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

I have used Zaino Z-12 Glass Polish on hard to remove spots on the glass on several cars and it works extremely well. My X5 had a film on the windows when it was delivered that would not come off with any amount of glass cleaner and elbow grease. I used the Zaino Z-12 and it was gone instantly. This product also removed acid rain etched spots on my Mercedes E55 and left the windshield looking like new. Here is the description from their web site. I also use their Z-2 and it is the best polish I have ever used.

Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish
We searched for years trying to find a glass polish that really works as advertised. Frustrated with the results, we decided to engineer our own. Introducing Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish™. Formulated with mild abrasives, Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish™ deep cleans and polishes all glass surfaces with ease. It quickly removes acid rain spots, hard water spots, road film, stubborn bird stains, and that annoying interior glass film. Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish™ is so effective, it even removes fine to medium scratches. We have yet to find a stain that Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish™ did not remove from glass. It leaves glass crystal clear and sparkling.
Code: Z-12
Shipping Weight: 0.72 pounds
Quantity in Basket: None
Price: $13.95

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/mercha...Category_Code=
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #28
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
True the salts and minerals will remain after the water drop evaporates I guess I was thinking about a wax or sealant that would prevent it from etching into the clear coat and/or keeping those deposits from sticking e.g. allowing you to wash them off.

I'm not talking about your average water spots. My brother was visiting recently and decided to wash his brand new Nissan HD diesel truck. I warned him about water spots but he waved off my warning. Afterwards he was out there trying to scrub them off all his glass with some spray can stuff. He said damn you weren't kidding. He managed to remove about 90% of them.
Go with something with a little grit to it to get water spots off once they've formed. Meguire's Scratch-X is pretty handy. It works well by hand and isn't aggressive enough to harm paint or anything. Works a treat to get scuff marks or paint transfer off your car, too.

Detailing clay or a nanomitt usually work pretty well, too.

I don't generally have problems getting water spots off glass, I usually just give the windows a rub down with the same towel I used to buff out my top sealant.

If your water is really that hard, an in-line filter might be your best best. What kind of soap are you using in your wash water? If one of those 'wash'n wax' type products, the wax included in the soap can lead to pretty heavy water spots if you mix your soap/water too rich and don't give it a thorough rinse.
Appreciate 0