BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
letsddp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

X5 vs X6 Handling

Hi

Need some help. Has anyone test driven both or owned both of the current model and can tell me if there is a handling difference between both cars?

I am in the market for M sport model most likely 4.0d or the 5.0d although worried about economy with the 5.0d.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I've driven the X5 30d and X6 50d and can't say that handling wise I found any major difference; they were both extremely impressive for such a big heavy car.

The 50d deals made it an obvious choice for me so I've ordered the X5 50d.

Of course you have the extra load space which is what I was going for however he deal breaker in the X6 is no pano roof available/possible!
      06-22-2016, 01:50 AM   #3
letsddp
Private
Rep

Thanks Mark.

Yeah I'm thinking X5 cause of the practicality the only concern I had was I've heard some people saying the X6 handles better.

What's your view on economy re X50d?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #4
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG GT 53 4-door

Garage List
You will take 40 or 50 the same!
I have X6 40d and X5 M50d, a good choice is the X5 M50d!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

My average over 18 months is 30mpg. This includes 15 min journey to work at steady 50 mph, 5 mins town and some motorway of 70/80 mph in The Netherlands and 120/140 mph in Germany. I'd say mpg is good.

PS: I came out of an X5 as it was more of a Dad/family car whereas the X6 is just .....well an X6 and evokes emotions that the more staid X5 cannot. Handling is fine and rock solid, not like my wife's JCW, but you can move it around a lot.

Wheels look much nicer on M50d. Digital dash also nice. Sunroof although not full pano, still decent size. Boot big, but no Range Rover seat so not as good. Rear seats plenty of room head and leg. Finally, mid-range surge is just great.

PPS: Bigger brakes mean bigger winter wheels and tyres. Ended up with the BMW 20" £3K set!

Last edited by Wing Co; 06-22-2016 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Extra info.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:27 AM   #6
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

I drove both, I wanted the X6 until I test drove them one after the other.

The X6 is wider and feels kinda heavier on the road. Hard to get in to, get out of, to sit inside etc. The X5 felt lighter and more agile. I eventually chose the X5 because of comfort rather than handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:13 AM   #7
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsddp View Post
Thanks Mark.

Yeah I'm thinking X5 cause of the practicality the only concern I had was I've heard some people saying the X6 handles better.

What's your view on economy re X50d?
I have no view yet since delivery isn't expected until September!

I worked on the basis I get around 35mpg out of the 335 and we have a 135 that achieves less - I'm sure it won't break the bank.
      06-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Handling is adequate in both of them, unless you plan to drive very quickly, which neither of them likes. For spirited driving Ms are more suitable, otherwise, they are trucks which do handle very decently given their weight. Unless you go for suspension upgrades, both are probably on par, with X6 having a slight advantage due to shape and mass. Suspension discussions are pretty hot on this forum, so you can find a wealth of info here.

X6 driver's seating position is lower and makes you feel like you are driving a tall car. Driver's seating in X5 on the other hand, feels more like a truck seat, although sporty.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
letsddp
Private
Rep

Thanks all, really appreciate it. In fact I found out another bit of advice from this forum, stupidly because I am from the e-generation of bmw's I had assumed that M sport meant you automatically got the sport suspension with the car.

Looks like that is not the case, but am I right in thinking the M50d does come with the sports suspension?

Sorry for all the questions, this is UK spec
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I've got UK spec M50D X6 and it had adaptive. Honestly though I can't tell the difference as the roads as so good here in The Netherlands. I do, significantly, notice the throttle response and gear mapping when I go into Sport though as it is then time for "Take-Off"...!!! This car is NOT a RRS for comfort, but it is acceptable and is much more capable than a RRS diesel in performance (speed and handling) and also tech - even if it now has the LR upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
letsddp
Private
Rep

Thanks Wing Co and for the MPG info above.

So mind made up now then X5 M50d it is
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Handling is adequate in both of them, unless you plan to drive very quickly, which neither of them likes. For spirited driving Ms are more suitable, otherwise, they are trucks which do handle very decently given their weight. Unless you go for suspension upgrades, both are probably on par, with X6 having a slight advantage due to shape and mass. Suspension discussions are pretty hot on this forum, so you can find a wealth of info here.

X6 driver's seating position is lower and makes you feel like you are driving a tall car. Driver's seating in X5 on the other hand, feels more like a truck seat, although sporty.
This is only true in the USA... Other countries like Canada, and parts of Europe have the adaptive m suspension included in the Msport line.
      06-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
letsddp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
This is only true in the USA... Other countries like Canada, and parts of Europe have the adaptive m suspension included in the Msport line.
Ah is that true, I thought only the M50d had it.

Also just going through the suspension sticky thread on the site, looks like the adaptive m suspension isn't all that and what you need is Adaptive Dynamic Suspension.

BMW do a real poor job of explaining this, what on earth does this mean....

"Meanwhile, Dynamic Drive reduces body roll to a nearly imperceptible minimum with stabilizers on the front and rear axles. In the X6 M50d, the Adaptive Dynamic Suspension package takes sportiness to a whole new level. "

Why is it explicitly calling out the M50d?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsddp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Ah is that true, I thought only the M50d had it.

Also just going through the suspension sticky thread on the site, looks like the adaptive m suspension isn't all that and what you need is Adaptive Dynamic Suspension.

BMW do a real poor job of explaining this, what on earth does this mean....

"Meanwhile, Dynamic Drive reduces body roll to a nearly imperceptible minimum with stabilizers on the front and rear axles. In the X6 M50d, the Adaptive Dynamic Suspension package takes sportiness to a whole new level. "

Why is it explicitly calling out the M50d?
I read in several reviews that M50d has the adaptive suspension set up sportier than a normal m sport (perhaps on carmagazine or autoexpress - hard copy issue). Adding DHP is of course an advantage. I think 40d with goodies is the best compromise, am not into M50d that much anymore (just my presonal opinion, so no hard feelings). Then again i ended up getting a 30d which is a little underwhelming in speed and sportiness compared my previous X6 E71 but an upgrade in comfort and premium luxury feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
My recommendation is do not buy BMW!
Choose something else and enjoy life!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #16
letsddp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I read in several reviews that M50d has the adaptive suspension set up sportier than a normal m sport (perhaps on carmagazine or autoexpress - hard copy issue). Adding DHP is of course an advantage. I think 40d with goodies is the best compromise, am not into M50d that much anymore (just my presonal opinion, so no hard feelings). Then again i ended up getting a 30d which is a little underwhelming in speed and sportiness compared my previous X6 E71 but an upgrade in comfort and premium luxury feel.
Yep if you want limited body roll you need to get DHP regardless of M50d or 40/30.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
letsddp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teodorjelev View Post
My recommendation is do not buy BMW!
Choose something else and enjoy life!
Driven BMWs for 20 years the best thing for me is performance and handling. Over the course of that time though BMW has become softer on their core principles of ultimate driving machine.

However what can you get....
GLE - slow unless you get the AMG
Audi - Poor handling and poor chassis
Porsche - would seriously consider but infotainment is outdated
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #18
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Suspension upgrades do more for the steering than suspension itself. Steering is very very loose with upgrades, and in my opinion very exact and heavy without. I even found it too heavy at first and it took a while to get adjusted.

I've been driving the 30d too with m sport suspension and its a completely different car than my 2.5d. The 3 liter engine is way more raw and rough than the 2 liter one. Mine is completely quiet, vibration-free and just silk smooth. Perfect for sitting in traffic in Stockholm every day, and I would only consider something bigger if I was more regular at the Autobahn. This engine makes any other engine out there feel outdated

EXCEPT

the new Audi Q7 3,0D 270 hp.

But back on topic, I think the X5 is a good choice. The X6 does bring more emotions to life, but after a while they disappear and you start focusing on comfort instead. For my 188 cm/115 kg figure, the cabin in the X5 was overwhelmingly more spacious. My head was partly scraping the roof in the X6.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #19
letsddp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappySwede View Post
Suspension upgrades do more for the steering than suspension itself. Steering is very very loose with upgrades, and in my opinion very exact and heavy without. I even found it too heavy at first and it took a while to get adjusted.

I've been driving the 30d too with m sport suspension and its a completely different car than my 2.5d. The 3 liter engine is way more raw and rough than the 2 liter one. Mine is completely quiet, vibration-free and just silk smooth. Perfect for sitting in traffic in Stockholm every day, and I would only consider something bigger if I was more regular at the Autobahn. This engine makes any other engine out there feel outdated

EXCEPT

the new Audi Q7 3,0D 270 hp.

But back on topic, I think the X5 is a good choice. The X6 does bring more emotions to life, but after a while they disappear and you start focusing on comfort instead. For my 188 cm/115 kg figure, the cabin in the X5 was overwhelmingly more spacious. My head was partly scraping the roof in the X6.
Thanks for this. Cause I'm a BMW nut handling is top of the agenda. Of course I would get a normal car but wife and kids means I am trying to get the best out of a SUV
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #20
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Go do a test drive of the new Bentayga

This is a good choice!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Porsche is also not a bad option given that their prices are currently above below as BMW!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsddp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Yep if you want limited body roll you need to get DHP regardless of M50d or 40/30.
DHP is a pricey option but gives all the torque vectoring trickery that the Cayenne has.

All M Sport spec cars in the UK come with the adaptive m sport suspension which I found to be excellent considering it's a 2 tonne SUV, sorry SAV.

I don't know what cars Coopers have but Barons Farnborough has a demo X5 30d and a new I registered X6 M50d which you can't take an accompanied drive in. Other than speed I couldn't determine any major difference.

I also trialled the M3, M5, X3 and Mecan. The X5 was the best all round package (for me).