BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Clack from the tailgate and front passenger door

My 2016 X6 (120k km) has developed a "clack" which sounds like it's coming from the tailgate, and sometimes from the front passenger door, usually when driving over a speedbump, but also sometimes when braking.

I've done numerous searches of this and other sites, and have tried the fixes of wrapping the tailgate latch with electrical tape, as well as the plastic stops on the car and the tailgate. Hasn't had any effect. I've also looked for any loose items in the storage area, to no avail.

I'm not the DIY type past the above, so took the car to my mechie, took him for a drive and he heard the noise. He advised that the cause would be difficult to pinpoint, he can't guarantee that he would find it, and it may introduce new rattles in the process. He say it's not a mechanical issue.

I'm looking for any advice on what I could do to locate and solve this, as I can't live with it and I don't want to sell a mechanically great car which has never given me any problems in the 4 years and 50k km of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:59 PM   #2
brewcaster
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2017 xdrive40e

I have a 2017 xdrive40e that had a rattle that was driving crazy. I thought it might be the rear tailgate as well and tried many things.
It turned out to be the latch for the rear seats that hold them in up position. All I had to do was put rear seats down and wrap the latch(not part of seat) with felt tape on both sides of vehicle.
Appreciate 1
BDO276.00
      10-08-2023, 11:44 PM   #3
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcaster View Post
I have a 2017 xdrive40e that had a rattle that was driving crazy. I thought it might be the rear tailgate as well and tried many things.
It turned out to be the latch for the rear seats that hold them in up position. All I had to do was put rear seats down and wrap the latch(not part of seat) with felt tape on both sides of vehicle.
Thanks! I will try that and report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

I feel your pain. Made me want to dump this car too. What I can tell you is the most likely issue is the tail gate stops and guides. Tape should never be used to mask the problem for these parts. The two bump stops and the two guide blocks built into the body of the car are adjusted using a piece of paper, kind of like adjusting old valves with a feeler gauge.

Using a T40 and 11mm (back of bump stops) all four should be touching their respective stops just enough to put drag on the piece of paper.

This can be time consuming. BMW has an official service bulletin on this so if your not familiar with any of the above I would suggest paying up and taking it in. All four have to be just right to eliminate creeks and thuds particularly at low speeds and big body flex situations.

Last edited by Myltz400; 10-09-2023 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
BDO276.00