Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anki View Post
I also do not think its possible to disable the auto lock doors while driving.

Yes for coding you need adapter and app at the least.

Negative. You can turn that feature off in Settings.
Yes right, lock after starting to drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #24
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5d

Quote:
With coding I have set the doors to unlock at ignition off only if they were locked by car and not by the driver.

This is done by coding either of the following values in BDC BODY

VAM_UNLOCK_KL15OFF_AFTER_PIA_AUTO_LOCK
CLI_DEFAULT_UNLOCK_AFTER_END_OF_DRIVING
I did this today in my 2016 X5, but it doesn't work consistently for me. I am not sure why. Any ideas as to why this wouldn't work if your in park, and press the off button?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Quote:
With coding I have set the doors to unlock at ignition off only if they were locked by car and not by the driver.

This is done by coding either of the following values in BDC BODY

VAM_UNLOCK_KL15OFF_AFTER_PIA_AUTO_LOCK
CLI_DEFAULT_UNLOCK_AFTER_END_OF_DRIVING
I did this today in my 2016 X5, but it doesn't work consistently for me. I am not sure why. Any ideas as to why this wouldn't work if your in park, and press the off button?
You will need to let the car lock by itself.
If you manually lock it, it won't work.

So, drive and let it lock. Then stop, put in P, and turn off the car.
It will unlock.

I don't know why it is a big deal since on F15/F16 X5/X6 and F85/F86 X5M/X6M, it is a single pull to open the door.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
anki122.50
      05-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #26
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

It will unlock.

I don't know why it is a big deal since on F15/F16 X5/X6 and F85/F86 X5M/X6M, it is a single pull to open the door.
Okay i'll test it again with that scenario. It's annoying because i'm constantly getting out of my car, and trying to open one of the back two doors for who knows what reason with my two kids. I also can never go back and open the trunk (although i've gotten in the habbit of just doing it from the driver door now). It happens to me far too much and it pisses me off every time when i have to go back around the car to the drivers side and press unlock.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Quote:

It will unlock.

Okay i'll test it again with that scenario. It's annoying because i'm constantly getting out of my car, and trying to open one of the back two doors for who knows what reason with my two kids. I also can never go back and open the trunk (although i've gotten in the habbit of just doing it from the driver door now). It happens to me far too much and it pisses me off every time when i have to go back around the car to the drivers side and press unlock.
Ahh, you don't have Comfort Access.
Maybe consider get retrofit.
It will make your life way easier.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #28
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
Ahh, you don't have Comfort Access.
Maybe consider get retrofit.
It will make your life way easier.
I have comfort access but it still sucks that the other doors don’t unlock once you’re in park. Just had to deal with this picking up some friends at the airport.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #29
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Is there setting or coding to have car unlocked when shift to park while car still running?
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #30
Lindsaykoehler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

I too and having this issue and I feel it it was kinda answered above but still a tad confusing. I do have comfort and the door lock thing is a problem. Say i go to car wash to vacuum my car. I turn car off and get out to open any door besides the drivers and they are all locked! My Mercedes GL63 unlocked all doors when i opened my drivers door.

So your saying I HAVE to go in and turn off LOCK WHILE DRIVING or whatever it is, which will mean if i have kids in the back and they try to open the door while I'm driving down the road it will open?? ( my kids are older so not an issue but trying to figure out what happens when that feature is off)

This is a headache multiple times a day!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #31
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaykoehler View Post
I too and having this issue and I feel it it was kinda answered above but still a tad confusing. I do have comfort and the door lock thing is a problem. Say i go to car wash to vacuum my car. I turn car off and get out to open any door besides the drivers and they are all locked! My Mercedes GL63 unlocked all doors when i opened my drivers door.

So your saying I HAVE to go in and turn off LOCK WHILE DRIVING or whatever it is, which will mean if i have kids in the back and they try to open the door while I'm driving down the road it will open?? ( my kids are older so not an issue but trying to figure out what happens when that feature is off)

This is a headache multiple times a day!
If you have kids that your are worried about opening the door while driving you need to put the child safety locks on (inside edge of rear doors). As stated before a single pull on the inside door lever will unlock the door, so even if you are driving a single pull on the door handle will open it. Car doors and lock are designed to allow easy egress in the case of an emergency whether that is a single or double pull to get it unlocked. "Lock while driving" or any similar mechanism is a safety feature to protect from the outside of the car, i.e. prevent an unwanted individual gaining access to the car that you are driving (think stopping a carjacker at a red light). I have comfort and I find the door lock thing is a pain when I leave the keys in the car and walk around to let one of the kids out (usually in the garage when I am at home and emptying the car).
      08-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #32
Lindsaykoehler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
If you have kids that your are worried about opening the door while driving you need to put the child safety locks on (inside edge of rear doors). As stated before a single pull on the inside door lever will unlock the door, so even if you are driving a single pull on the door handle will open it. Car doors and lock are designed to allow easy egress in the case of an emergency whether that is a single or double pull to get it unlocked. "Lock while driving" or any similar mechanism is a safety feature to protect from the outside of the car, i.e. prevent an unwanted individual gaining access to the car that you are driving (think stopping a carjacker at a red light). I have comfort and I find the door lock thing is a pain when I leave the keys in the car and walk around to let one of the kids out (usually in the garage when I am at home and emptying the car).
Yes, so I like that safety feature part of it ( the above mentioned carjacker scenario) but not sure I like it enough to keep it on. I have left my key in my purse and purse in my car for over 10 years while at home ( I live behind a gate in safe area out of town) and I also leave my house often during the day so getting my purse out every time would be annoying......so to have to start a new "habit" irks me...seems like something BMW could have a work around. Never had this issue on my Mercedes. I am going to try turning that feature off and test it out. Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #33
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Yes it's irritating

Quote:
I have comfort and I find the door lock thing is a pain when I leave the keys in the car and walk around to let one of the kids out (usually in the garage when I am at home and emptying the car).

This is my scenario, often have something in back seat and don't like it when rear doors remain locked. We have comfort access so sounds like I can resolve by simply keeping key fob in my pocket rather than leaving in center console.
      10-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #34
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

This issue is a pain. Does anyone have a smoking gun? Is it the coding linked above?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #35
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
This issue is a pain. Does anyone have a smoking gun? Is it the coding linked above?

Thanks in advance!
WHICH issue? There were multiple scenarios mentioned...can't tell which one is a pain for you...can you give more details? Some wrote about unlocking from the outside...some wrote about unlocking from the inside. Which one is a pain for you?

The central locking system has multiple operating parameters. If you understand how each one works...then using the appropriate unlocking procedure shouldn't be difficult. It may not operate how you'd prefer it to...but all the doors can be UNLOCKED from the inside or outside...you just have to use the method that allows you to do so.

If you have the auto lock @ a specific MPH feature initiated...then when you get to your destination (and you haven't used an app or software to change the coding parameters)...depending on your model year and options...you may need to pull once or twice on the interior door handles to unlock/open the doors. Or you can press the interior central UNLOCK button.

If you want ALL doors to be unlockable from the exterior you select ALL DOORS in iDrive...KZANG posted an image of the iDrive screen back on teh 1st page.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:21 PM   #36
Jacebror
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

It's a pain if you aren't the one with the key. Our F15 only came with one key, because the PO had a Compustar remote start installed which took the second key.

So since my wife primarily drives the car she keeps the key in her purse. So even when we are together and I'm driving she has the key. So we stop I can of course get out no problem. But if I need to get in another door to get something out the doors are locked, or the fuel door is locked.

My 5 series I was able to code so when I shut the car off the doors unlock. It doesn't do it just from putting it in PARK. But I haven't been able to figure out the coding on the X
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #37
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacebror View Post
It's a pain if you aren't the one with the key. Our F15 only came with one key, because the PO had a Compustar remote start installed which took the second key.

So since my wife primarily drives the car she keeps the key in her purse. So even when we are together and I'm driving she has the key. So we stop I can of course get out no problem. But if I need to get in another door to get something out the doors are locked, or the fuel door is locked.
Suggestions:
  1. Go into iDrive and UNCHECK “lock after starting to drive”. This will prevent auto locking…and doors will always be unlocked if you need to get out and go to the rear doors or refuel. If the driver feels the need for the vehicle to be locked, just simply press the central locking button on the driver’s door (or front passenger door, now).
  2. Or, teach yourself to always press the central locking button on the driver’s door when you drive because all the doors are locked (if you have AUTO LOCK activated in iDrive).

BTW, the fuel filler flap should only lock when the car has been locked using the remote fob, or the CA ridges on the exterior door handles.

Central locking button, driver's and front passenger door

A central locking button is built as standard into the front door trim panel on the driver's and front passenger door (depends on the country, e.g. USA, China). This installation position makes it easier to unlock and lock the doors.

Functional description

The central locking button of the driver's door is realised as a rocker.

1 button at top for unlocking
1 button at bottom for locking
(As a result it is always clear which function is activated for the corresponding keystroke.)

The driver's door is also unlocked by pulling the door opener.

The switching functions are realised through rubber mats.

Item Explanation
1) Central locking button
2) Unlock button
3) Lock button
4) 4‐pin plug connection
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-30-2022 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
CatalinP589.50
      01-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #38
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Sry, Qsilver, I missed your reply.

My issue is the car doesn’t auto-unlock after you stop, park, and turn off the engine. Like, for example, every other car I’ve ever owned - most of the BMWs.

I’m looking for a coding solution as:
1) it’s incredibly annoying and just why they did this I have no idea.
2) don’t want to turn off auto locking with kids in the car.
3) my wife complains about this constantly.

It seems there was one coding solution on the first page. Has anyone tried it?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #39
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sry, Qsilver, I missed your reply.

My issue is the car doesn’t auto-unlock after you stop, park, and turn off the engine. Like, for example, every other car I’ve ever owned - most of the BMWs.

I’m looking for a coding solution as:
1) it’s incredibly annoying and just why they did this I have no idea.
2) don’t want to turn off auto locking with kids in the car.
3) my wife complains about this constantly.

It seems there was one coding solution on the first page. Has anyone tried it?
BMWs of our era were not designed to auto unlock. Some have found coding that works...but in my case...it has not. My f15 X5 does only have one-pull to unlock/open the front doors...but my f06 650ix GC still requires two-pulls of the door handle.

You will have to train your self to pull once or twice on the door handles (depending on model and build date)...or hit the central unlock buttons on the front doors.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:53 AM   #40
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Sounds like I’ll be training myself and my wife.

I’ll get some candy and start with the ‘reward’ system.

Appreciate the response!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #41
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’ll get some candy and start with the ‘reward’ system.
Hope the "training" goes well.

It could work out to be safer...especially if you have young/small kids. You can use a command like "OK" along with the sound of all the doors being unlocked. Which signals that it is safe for everyone to open their doors and exit the vehicle because you've scanned the local vicinity for traffic or unsavory characters near the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #42
OliverATX
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wangler JKU

Late to the Game- Still same issue

So, apologies. I am way late to the game here. However, just got a 2022 X5 with comfort access and my wife is complaining about the issue as well. She is getting out of the car with keys in her purse on passenger seat and cannot open any of the doors or lift gate.

Selecting to have "all doors unlock when starting to drive" is not a great solution. This opens you up to people opening your doors when at a red light, or when pulling into a dark parking lot.

I see where BMW is going here from a safety perspective, but it seems there should be the following easy setting in iDrive:

*** Open all doors when driver opens door (while vehicle in park). ***

Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:29 PM   #43
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverATX View Post
Or am I missing something?
Since I know/understand how the central locking system works…I trained myself that when I’m getting out of the vehicle…and I need to open a rear door or the tailgate…I instinctively hit the UNLOCK button on either front doors (which will unlock ALL the doors and tailgate/trunk).

If I now I’m going to the cargo area or trunk…I simply hit the tailgate or trunk release button…BOOM…I never have an issue with a door/trunk/tailgate being locked.,

Appreciate 0