BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

DIY - Adjustable Links for Rear Airbag Suspension

So I had the HR VTF kit for my X5 with airbags (I had issues with that kit since day one and the ride was absolutely horrible) I replaced them with the Eibach springs which BTW are a 100% improvement over the VTF I lost about .5" in hieght but 100% BETTER than the VTF kit...that is the last time I buy a suspension product from HR...

ANYWAY I had to buy the Eibach's for the normal X5 which came with 4 springs no adjustable links for the rear as that kit isn't sold in the states for some reason...after reaching out to HR to buy a set of their adjustable links they quoted me 100.00 PER LINK so there was no way in hell I was paying that much for a component that does nothing but tell a sensor how much the airbags should inflate or deflate. So I went online and looked about a way to make my own...

Here are the parts I used...

Amazon
uxcell CS8, Rod End Ball Bearing with Stud, M5x0.8mm Carbon Steel Right Hand 4pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742976BG..._SUFnDbT9DTS4E

Home Depot
2 M5-0.8 x 80mm Machine Screws (cut them to 1.5" long and obviously didn't need the heads)
4 M5-.08 Hex Nuts
1 Pack of #10 Stainless Washers

Total time to make them was like 10 mins, it cost me 15.00 vs 200 from HR or 100 from off brands online...

Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
Russmov1328.00
donut_boi997.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
1norseman398.00
Yanchii58.50
PnP206.50
shimmy232350.00
      07-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Could you have just used the same link and just drill a hole lower on the aluminum control arm?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Could you have just used the same link and just drill a hole lower on the aluminum control arm?
Not sure if that would work as the OEM, HR and other links have a ball bearing that allows for some movement...may or may not have an affect with or without it but it must have a purpose otherwise BMW and all other companies would've just had solid link ends plus I would not know where to put the hole that's why I'm assuming the aftermarket links are adjustable
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      07-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

looks good. great job building your own rear adjustable links
Appreciate 1
mrod81207.50
      07-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Wow very creative OP...great write up
Appreciate 1
mrod81207.50
      07-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod81 View Post
Quote:
Not sure if that would work as the OEM, HR and other links have a ball bearing that allows for some movement...may or may not have an affect with or without it but it must have a purpose otherwise BMW and all other companies would've just had solid link ends plus I would not know where to put the hole that's why I'm assuming the aftermarket links are adjustable
Quote:
Those arms are rubber. Not aluminum.

Quote:
Quote:
The first thing he bought on amazon were the ball bearings you speak of. They in fact look identical.

With that said. You can find many manufacturers of these on eBay for far less than $200/ set. But if my eibach didn't come with ones I would have done this in a heart beat! Also well known about the eibachs in US vs Europe. Many threads on how to get the German eibachs so you don't have to buy all 4 springs. Oh well Too late now. Glad you got it all working.

What measurement did you set to get that height. Looks pretty low. How's the bounciness? Mine was awful at that height in the rear.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
turboawd literally meant drilling a new hole into the control arm so the oem links can be threaded in at a lower point so it'll have the effect of being shortened lol. the oem mounting point on the control arm has abt 0.5" of space to make a new hole.
      07-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The first thing he bought on amazon were the ball bearings you speak of. They in fact look identical.

With that said. You can find many manufacturers of these on eBay for far less than $200/ set. But if my eibach didn't come with ones I would have done this in a heart beat! Also well known about the eibachs in US vs Europe. Many threads on how to get the German eibachs so you don't have to buy all 4 springs. Oh well Too late now. Glad you got it all working.

What measurement did you set to get that height. Looks pretty low. How's the bounciness? Mine was awful at that height in the rear.
I got my set off of Ben as a replacement for the HR VTF which in my honest opinion were absolute garbage...again only my opinion...
The only places I found the kit with Eibach w links were significantly more expensive than the 4 spring set I just had to make my own links which only took a 15.00.
I set mine to 1.25 inches lower than the oem after 3 tries and it still feels like stock. Might be that I had the HR VTF that we're just so harsh that now anything feels 100% better idk.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      07-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #9
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
turboawd literally meant drilling a new hole into the control arm so the oem links can be threaded in at a lower point so it'll have the effect of being shortened lol. the oem mounting point on the control arm has abt 0.5" of space to make a new hole.
Lol thanks for that I didn't read it thoroughly I thought he meant drilling into the link itself which would still make 100% more sense than drilling into the control arm...that's just nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Great DIY!!!
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
mrod81207.50
      07-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Great DIY! I went the lazy route, bought these (E70 fit on F15)

http://loweringlinks.net
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Great DIY! I went the lazy route, bought these (E70 fit on F15)

http://loweringlinks.net
They're selling a product and can't even post a picture of it on their website?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
They're selling a product and can't even post a picture of it on their website?
Yeah, not the best website but they work great. I would take a picture of mine but we're away on vacation....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
MJRPA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
So I had the HR VTF kit for my X5 with airbags (I had issues with that kit since day one and the ride was absolutely horrible) I replaced them with the Eibach springs which BTW are a 100% improvement over the VTF I lost about .5" in hieght but 100% BETTER than the VTF kit...that is the last time I buy a suspension product from HR...

ANYWAY I had to buy the Eibach's for the normal X5 which came with 4 springs no adjustable links for the rear as that kit isn't sold in the states for some reason...after reaching out to HR to buy a set of their adjustable links they quoted me 100.00 PER LINK so there was no way in hell I was paying that much for a component that does nothing but tell a sensor how much the airbags should inflate or deflate. So I went online and looked about a way to make my own...

Amazon
uxcell CS8, Rod End Ball Bearing with Stud, M5x0.8mm Carbon Steel Right Hand 4pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742976BG..._SUFnDbT9DTS4E

Home Depot
2 M5-0.8 x 80mm Machine Screws (cut them to 1.5" long and obviously didn't need the heads)
4 M5-.08 Hex Nuts

Total time to make them was like 10 mins, it cost me 15.00 vs 200 from HR or 100 from off brands online...

Hope this helps someone.
Question, why didn't you use the H&R links with the Eibach Springs in the front? I just got the VTFs too and not happy with the ride, might wait it out and see how it runs on non run flat tires .
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #15
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRPA View Post
Question, why didn't you use the H&R links with the Eibach Springs in the front? I just got the VTFs too and not happy with the ride, might wait it out and see how it runs on non run flat tires .
prob sold the VTFs with the links as a set?
      07-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Amazon

Home Depot
4 M5-.08 Hex Nuts

Hope this helps someone.
I got my set from Ben and we had issues with the newer VTF kit they kept binding because they now come with a plastic part that used to be made of of another material...long story short when I would make a turn the spring would bind and make a loud clunk. I gave Ben the set back and he swapped out the set for the Eibachs and they don't come with links.

The VTFs are some of the worst riding springs I've ever used on any car I've ever had, I read nothing but bad things about just the spring kit not the VTF kit but after using the VTFs for 2 months then moving to Eibach it's like night and day to be honest I wouldn't recommend the VTF period.
Appreciate 2
MJRPA28.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      07-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #17
MJRPA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Amazon

Home Depot
4 M5-.08 Hex Nuts

Hope this helps someone.
I got my set from Ben and we had issues with the newer VTF kit they kept binding because they now come with a plastic part that used to be made of of another material...long story short when I would make a turn the spring would bind and make a loud clunk. I gave Ben the set back and he swapped out the set for the Eibachs and they don't come with links.

The VTFs are some of the worst riding springs I've ever used on any car I've ever had, I read nothing but bad things about just the spring kit not the VTF kit but after using the VTFs for 2 months then moving to Eibach it's like night and day to be honest I wouldn't recommend the VTF period.
I'm having the same issue, thanks for the clarification. Just hate to pay the labor again for the swap but might be worth it.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
Irdd
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
I got my set off of Ben as a replacement for the HR VTF which in my honest opinion were absolute garbage...again only my opinion...
The only places I found the kit with Eibach w links were significantly more expensive than the 4 spring set I just had to make my own links which only took a 15.00.
I set mine to 1.25 inches lower than the oem after 3 tries and it still feels like stock. Might be that I had the HR VTF that we're just so harsh that now anything feels 100% better idk.
What was the total length measurement of your lowering links installed? Going to be in the same boat and would like to save the trouble of resetting the measurements due to an uneven height when compared to the front, Thanks in advance buddy.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #19
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irdd View Post
Quote:
What was the total length measurement of your lowering links installed? Going to be in the same boat and would like to save the trouble of resetting the measurements due to an uneven height when compared to the front, Thanks in advance buddy.
It was a pain, no measurements I had to drive it around the block every time I adjusted I just used the jack points as my reference once they finally met at the same height I called it a day but I don't remember where I left it. I'll take a look and let you know what I got tonight.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2022, 11:55 PM   #20
acmurda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

appreciate you sharing this and helping others. 🍻
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #21
kenny1k6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Mannnn thank you!! Great write-up and DIY!
Appreciate 0