BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #23
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
I don't know why bmw does these odd things. Probably to get money out of owners. I thought Audi was bad
Perhaps the opening effects the aerodynamics.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #24
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know why bmw does these odd things. Probably to get money out of owners. I thought Audi was bad
Well, they charge several thousand dollars for optional driver aids which are standard on $30K Hondas and Toyotas. So I guess this fits that pattern. Sometimes I feel like a complete sucker. But then I nail the throttle and the feeling goes away for a few seconds.
      09-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #25
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:
Okay I will PM you.
Glad you found one. Now your X5 won't look like a Picasso anymore.
It's for aero mainly and trying to keep the designers intent intact. Blocking off the grill is actually more aero than opening it.

That's why now you see aero shutters on grills and shutters on radiators.

The recirculating seal also doesn't extend to the lower parts of the outer edges of the facia so it's cheaper to just fill in the grill mesh.

I work at an OEM in the design department and the aero team pushes for these small things to get better counts on everything they can.

Plus cemetery, If only the right side had an opening and the other side was smooth facia it would look odd, like missing an eye or having a mouth only on one side of your face.

The v8 I know uses both for oil coolers so their both open I think the i6 and rest of the lineup only has one. So theirs no reason for it to be open so it's filled in. If you open it up without a place for the air to go your basically creating a parachute, the air won't be diverted around the facia and will now go into the wheel well and you risk blowing out your wheel well under high speeds unless you also properly vent it as well. All these "stupid things" are actually quite calculated and theirs reasons for it.

The aero benefit is small but these small grabs here and their add up to an overall aero benefit. Intern affecting efficiency and gas milage which affects the companies CAFE requirements and keeps bmw from having to pay fines.

Like building so many I3's offsets how many gas guzzlers they can play with but that's another story.
Appreciate 5
Kzang3240.00
HJ478.00
      09-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #26
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
It's for aero mainly and trying to keep the designers intent intact. Blocking off the grill is actually more aero than opening it.

The recirculating seal also doesn't extend to the lower parts of the outer edges of the facia so it's cheaper to just fill in the grill mesh.

I work at an OEM in the design department and the aero team pushes for these small things to get better counts on everything they can.

Plus cemetery, If only the right side had an opening and the other side was smooth facia it would look odd, like missing an eye or having a mouth only on one side of your face.

The v8 I know uses both for oil coolers so their both open I think the i6 and rest of the lineup only has one. So theirs no reason for it to be open so it's filled in. If you open it up without a place for the air to go your basically creating a parachute, the air won't be diverted around the facia and will now go into the wheel well and you risk blowing out your wheel well under high speeds unless you also properly vent it as well. All these "stupid things" are actually quite calculated and theirs reasons for it.

The aero benefit is small but these small grabs here and their add up to an overall aero benefit. Intern affecting efficiency and gas milage which affects the companies CAFE requirements and keeps bmw from having to pay fines.

Like building so many I3's offsets how many gas guzzlers they can play with but that's another story.
Good read. Most people see the opening of the grill as a design to cool the engines... I mean, our cars aren't Z06's or GT350's, it doesn't overheat.
      09-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #27
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I got bmw to cover the labor but told me to pay for the part which was $72.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #28
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Quote:

Good read. Most people see the opening of the grill as a design to cool the engines... I mean, our cars aren't Z06's or GT350's, it doesn't overheat.
I mean don't get me wrong they still serve a purpose to cool, but a lot of air comes from below the grille.

You only need fully open access under great loads, cruising down the highway the engine isn't working hard, that's why on some engines you have cylinder reduction where the cars turn off certain cylinders to conserve fuel. And as such don't need all that open area for cooling so the shutters start to close off and allows less airflow to enter the engine bay and helps make your car more aerodynamic and contributing to better on highway gas milage.

Active aero is great and fun but it's another tool.

But sometimes designers get carried away like at Honda and make wayyyyyy to much fake grille mesh and it just looks
Silly at that point.

I'd take some sexy surfacing over miles of fake mesh any day.

At least for the bmw's x5 sake it's fully functional on some models and not just their because it was "cool in the sketch"
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #29
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You may be ok, but if you do a lot of highway I'd look at getting the proper wheel well vent as well so you can exhaust the extra air.

On The driver side you'll see it has an exit in the wheel well for the air to escape, it be smart to add that wheel well also so you don't pop open your shroud during any fast highway speeds.

Autobahn speeds or anything triple digits will have crazy force on that thin plastic and it may pop and smack against your wheel unless you vent it.

Reminds me of when people just throw a screw on their underbody tray and they loose it on the highway when the air starts pulling on it.

Just saying.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #30
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You may be ok, but if you do a lot of highway I'd look at getting the proper wheel well vent as well so you can exhaust the extra air.

On The driver side you'll see it has an exit in the wheel well for the air to escape, it be smart to add that wheel well also so you don't pop open your shroud during any fast highway speeds.

Autobahn speeds or anything triple digits will have crazy force on that thin plastic and it may pop and smack against your wheel unless you vent it.

Reminds me of when people just throw a screw on their underbody tray and they loose it on the highway when the air starts pulling on it.

Just saying.
So you're saying I shouldn't even do it 😩😩😩
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just saying.
Hey do what you love, that's the great thing of making it your own! I'm just trying to help.

Trust me you think I give a rats patoot that some have an issue with my B&O speaker cover swap! Not at all

All I'm doing is trying to educate why the grille is like that and why some things have an opening and some don't. As some say it's stupid that bmw did that so I want them to know what was some reasons why that happens.

It's totally fine that you do it but I'm just pointing out that you may have an issue when you build up speed. Remember that for every ten miles an hour after a certain speed the force will double. The part is not designed to just have an opening in the front and nothing in the rear.

Imagine a bucket traveling at 75 mph and the force that your asking the wheel well to take. Theirs no radiator their and no rear venting so all that force will be slamming into the wheel well and it may pop open while driving, it may be fine for a while then one day it may fail. At the minimum add the rear vent or proper wheel well and you will give the air an escape.

Another angle to look at it is Sometimes you may feel it looks silly to have a fake grille mesh but sometimes without having the radiator behind it and just looking at a nasty back end of the wheel well it may not look any better especially when it gets all dirty in their.

In the end its up to you and how you want to individualize your vehicle. If you want to change it change it, but also be aware of what may happen if you don't vent the air.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #32
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just saying.
Hey do what you love, that's the great thing of making it your own! I'm just trying to help.

Trust me you think I give a rats patoot that some have an issue with my B&O speaker cover swap! Not at all

All I'm doing is trying to educate why the grille is like that and why some things have an opening and some don't. As some say it's stupid that bmw did that so I want them to know what was some reasons why that happens.

It's totally fine that you do it but I'm just pointing out that you may have an issue when you build up speed. Remember that for every ten miles an hour after a certain speed the force will double. The part is not designed to just have an opening in the front and nothing in the rear.

Imagine a bucket traveling at 75 mph and the force that your asking the wheel well to take. Theirs no radiator their and no rear venting so all that force will be slamming into the wheel well and it may pop open while driving, it may be fine for a while then one day it may fail. At the minimum add the rear vent or proper wheel well and you will give the air an escape.

Another angle to look at it is Sometimes you may feel it looks silly to have a fake grille mesh but sometimes without having the radiator behind it and just looking at a nasty back end of the wheel well it may not look any better especially when it gets all dirty in their.

In the end its up to you and how you want to individualize your vehicle. If you want to change it change it, but also be aware of what
My BO speaker will be in next week. I overpaid by $80 😩
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #33
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yikes!

Why? What happened ?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #34
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just saying.

In the end its up to you and how you want to individualize your vehicle. If you want to change it change it, but also be aware of what
My BO speaker will be in next week. I overpaid by $80 😩
Yikes!

Why? What happened ?
He wouldn't match price. Your seller was sold out
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #35
Meksykanska_Parowa
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
I finally got my car, yay! It is CPO till end of 2020 but I noticed front bumper has two different lower grilles. One is solid close and other is open. I asked the owner if he replaced them and said he never realized it till I pointed it out. Do you think I can make bmw make a CPO claim for both to be the same?
I think it's normal because I just bough X5, which has the same set up. I was curious about it myself after I noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #36
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ahhhh shoot sorry man!

Just give me a Shout if you run into any trouble
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #37
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

You guys need to trim your quotes
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #38
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
You guys need to trim your quotes
Done
Appreciate 1
ems328i180.00
      09-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #39
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
This is literally the first thing that my girlfriend noticed when we went to buy my car. "The left vent is broken".. it bugged me a bit but I'm over it now.
Appreciate 1
djrabbi728.00