BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-08-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
Wesley Snipes
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BWM X5 (F15) 3.0L Gas Xd

2016 X5 - rear suspension issue

Hello,

I had a look around and there is lots of talk about the suspension on the X5 and it's failures but I did not come across my exact issue.

I have a 2016 X5 35i with slightly over 150,000 kms (93k miles). I had the air bags replaced 3.5 years ago. When the air bags failed the air pump was running very often and the rear end was on the ground, until it eventually completely failed and would not raise. Once I replaced the airbags it was fine.

I moved had a vehicle safety inspection done 2.5 years ago and they mentioned that my rear ride height sensors were functioning but looked to be seizing up. They recommended to replace them but I didn't.

Fast forward to a few days ago I got a drive train malfunction while I was driving. I have a code reader so I checked the codes right away. I have the following:

48006F - "Rear left ride-height sensor. Measuring voltage" - intermittent
D02C7F - "Signal (tyre stats, 272.3.8) Invalid Transmitter DSC - permanent
D354D0 - "Signal (filtered vehicle ride height, 52.0.2) invalid, transmitter ICM - Permanent

803211 - "Ultrasonic sensor, rear center left, sensor fault: final Oscillation time of the diaphragm too short" - intermittent
803213 - "Ultrasonic sensor rear center left: no response from sensor" -intermittent

I checked my rear end today and the drivers side was 1-2 inches lower than the passenger. When I opened up the drivers door the air pump did not turn on. I then drove it a short distance to work and then checked the ride height and they were the same. The suspension did seem rough compared to normal.

Obviously I have to do some more detective work and inspect the air bags again, check the air line fittings and check the ride height sensor.

At this time I am suspecting a faulty ride height sensor as the mechanic shop recommended a replacement during my last inspection.

Has anyone replaced their ride height sensors and if so, did you have the same issues as myself?

The ride height sensors sound easy to replace on my own.

Thanks for any recommendations/help possible!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:02 PM   #2
Wesley Snipes
Canada
Rep

I hooked up my code reader again to my X5 and checked the voltage on the "raw signal, sensor, ride height left" is zero volts. Also the "status, ride-height sensor, rear left" is also "not installed/defective".

I will order a new ride height sensor and install it. Has anyone replaced one before? If so, is it plug and play? or anything special I need to do to install it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 03:34 PM   #3
Wesley Snipes
Canada
Rep

I'll respond to my own post as I've figured out the problem.

I replaced the ride height sensor, and it was an easy thing to do. You don't even need to remove the rear tire. I put it on ramps, and though it was a bit awkward, there were only 2 screws and 2 nuts holding it in place. Pull the wiring connector, and it's off. I replaced the small plastic connecting rod at the same time, even though my old one was fine. Once replaced, there was nothing to calibrate or adjust. It was good to go. I used my code reader to clear the codes, but my errors on the dash went away right after the replacement.

Just in case anyone has to change it out, it's very easy."
Appreciate 4
BDO276.00
PGH_X562.50
shimmy232350.00
      03-18-2024, 08:19 PM   #4
PGH_X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive50i M Sport

Thanks, sub'd for future reference
Appreciate 0