BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
JReed
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 35i M Sport

Fluid leak in the cargo area?

After a 130 mile trip with my family, I open up the cargo area and find this puddle of fluid (pics attached). At first I thought it was from luggage in the trunk, but then I realized it was probably a leak of some sort. Not sure where it's coming from or what it is. Has anyone encountered anything similar? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I have a version with the spare (ordered incorrectly by the dealer), and it is being retrofitted into a storage area as yours. As mine lacks the carpeting in the storage area I can see there are two sets of white flex pipes in that area, under the carpet. My guess is diesel fluid (which is very corrosive and you should check that it is not that), and wash fluid. But, I can't figure out how they would go up as yours has. I can see fluid getting absorbed up, but not getting on the storage tracks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

OP has his car listed as a X35 with M package. no diesel.

To me, that looks like something like laundry soap was spilled in the track and then leaked down.

Must be nice that your storage area is carpeted down there. I have the spare tire option and no carpet.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathme View Post
OP has his car listed as a X35 with M package. no diesel.
@Mathme
I should pay attention to the margins. I am very new to this.

Re Spare
I am getting mine converted to carpeted. I special ordered the car, but the dealer overrode the order the order the last minute and the car was delivered with a spare. They are giving me the storage at their cost. They have said they might have to cut the post that goes through the center of the spare. I have volunteered to have the post protrude from the carpet if they cannot. Should be done in a few days.....if interested send me a note and I will let you know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

I also think something leaked from hopping bags or similar. The first accessory I bought into my car is this (actually every car I have ever owned had a similar type of protection), in addition floor matts were changed to rubber ones in every car:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
JReed
Rep

Actually the MSport is on my X3, my new X5 is just Xline... But you're right, not diesel. At first, I thought it was detergent or something like that leaking from my luggage, but after close inspection, I realized that it's wasn't on anything, so it likely came from the bottom up. But I'm going to take it in to service tomorrow. I'm going to feel so dumb if it's actually just soap...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Brimoon
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

Check the gromets on the ends flexible conduits that carry the wiring going into the tailgate. If the one or the other gromets on the body side is loose or broken, water can get inside the body and flow down into the area around and below the underfloor compartment. It happened to me on my 2009 X5 and destroyed the satellite radio module.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Is the leak actually blue, or did you color it blue so we could see it better?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
JReed
Rep

That's the actual color. If anything the pic doesn't reflect just how neon it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow. I though you were shining black light to highlight the spots. Your left rear bumper looks wet. Was this after driving in rain or heavy rain? @Brimoon may be right on.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I have a version with the spare (ordered incorrectly by the dealer), and it is being retrofitted into a storage area as yours. As mine lacks the carpeting in the storage area I can see there are two sets of white flex pipes in that area, under the carpet. My guess is diesel fluid (which is very corrosive and you should check that it is not that), and wash fluid. But, I can't figure out how they would go up as yours has. I can see fluid getting absorbed up, but not getting on the storage tracks.
I know it isn't a diesel but for reference, in Europe at least, DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid aka AdBlue) is colourless.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I looked at mine and there really is nothing for water or fluids to come up from the top. Looks like the fluid is also in the tracks, I would suspect some sort of blue liquid spilled into the tracks and it leaked onto the cover. If the color has an odor to it, maybe you could trace it to that. If it was leaking from the bottom, there would be a stains toward the bottom and not climbing up.

Last edited by buckeyewalt; 08-19-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

It definitely looks like something you put in your trunk ended up leaking. Nothing to do with the car in my opinion. Just a cargo accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
JReed
Rep

Yeah I think everyone is right here in saying that it was some sort of spill. I took it in for service and the service rep took one look and said, "Looks like detergent." After poking around a little bit we both decided that it couldn't have come from a leak through the window or liftgate and if it came from a leak below, it wouldn't have seeped up. Furthermore there really isn't a place from where it could come below. So I guess I just spilled something. Weird and silly but an entertaining thread I guess.
Appreciate 0