BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Aaron in Denver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M-Sport

Took delivery of my X5 on Friday after a 7 week wait. My spec is 50i M-sport, Space gray with white/black dakota, 469m wheels, DHP, executive pkg, driver asst plus, ACC, LED lighting. Thought I'd post some first impressions for anyone still shopping or just to compare notes. For perspective, I have driven Hondas as my daily driver for the last 10 years ( an 05 and an 09 Pilot), and have an 04 Boxster S as a weekend toy. The X5 is my first BMW. I have 150 miles on it in two days. Amazing how a new car makes you willing to run any mundane errand right away.

Overall first impressions- of course, I love it! The engine is just phenomenal. There is actually a little turbo lag as you tip into the throttle, but then the thing takes a breath and just rips. Went out Saturday with a friend who has a 535xi sedan and who knows cars very well. When I gunned the X5 a bit from a light his reaction was, "Something this size should not be this fast". The power is just there all the time, and I really like that.

Some specifics:
Comfort Access, soft close doors, surround view- already getting lazy and spoiled by these. CA takes keyless entry to the next level, and the soft close doors are handy when you are crowding the curb in a prime parking lot end spot to be sure no one dings the passenger side. Surround view makes manuevering in tight spaces a cinch.

Throttle calibration- it seems like the Japanese and the Germans approach electronic throttles differently. I am still getting used to the X5 and I sometimes get a little too much gas or not quite enough. Had the same issue with the Boxster at first, but my Pilot always seemed to rrspond perfectly. Its weird, but its probably just me getting used to the way it feels under foot.

Steering- as others have said, it is light and vague. It feels like you never quite know what the front end is doing. It doesnt seem to me that DHP or the sport setting has any effect on this, and i am not sure if it is supposed to or not. Its ok though, this is not a sports car after all.

There's lots more to say but this post is too long already. Have attached a couple of pics, but the light was fading and they are not great. Will post more as the miles add up, but I have no regrets at this point. Thanks! Aaron in Denver
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Great review, Aaron . If you get a tune chip, the throttle lag virtually disappears in all modes. When you said you'll run any mundane errands just to drive it, I was like "that's what I did ", lol.

Congrats and glad you're enjoying the car. Coding makes it even better if you ever go that route.
      12-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Aaron, Congratulations. Like you said I find myself looking for reason to go places. Can't wait to see pictures. Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
bimmerlover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240Ixdrive

Aaron,
Just got to your post.
Congrats on your new X5 50

Interesting you mention about the DHP not affecting steering feel or weight at all.. this is exactly my main concern about updating my 2011 X5 50..

I was hoping the DHP might tighten up/add better steering feel.. but sadly unlikely as the rear air suspension/adaptive dynamic suspension/anti-roll stabilization and dynamic performance package (all part of your DHP) don't have anything to do with improved steering feel.. which unfortunately for a long time BMW owner like myself is such a profound disappoint as BMW has transitioned to it's version of electronic steering... a dull disaster...

Anyway, do you feel a big difference in handling with DHP vs standard or M adaptive alone? Did you have a chance to drive many non DHP before you bought our X5 50?

Thanks ahead.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

DHP does affect the steering because it has a stiffer suspension. Sport mode will always be tighter than comfort mode in every F15, just not sure how much more between all three. Aaron is probably very used to a tighter/hydraulic suspension, which is why he finds the electronic too loose in comparison. This will be the case for any car you drive. Hydraulic feel will always be the most controlled period.
      12-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
bimmerlover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I doubt this..

electronic steering and somewhat through the steering mechanism can now be influenced by software settings.. you could still have "loose" light steering even though the dampers and roll bar are "tighter" or stiffer...

Alll hydraulic steering is not the same.... it pretty much sucks on BMW right now.. I own a 2015 Boxster S that has electronic steering and it is not an issue.. it has one of the finest steering feel around and this was after an hydraulic steering 2010 Porsche Boxster... the transition was seamless...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlover View Post
I doubt this..

electronic steering and somewhat through the steering mechanism can now be influenced by software settings.. you could still have "loose" light steering even though the dampers and roll bar are "tighter" or stiffer...

Alll hydraulic steering is not the same.... it pretty much sucks on BMW right now.. I own a 2015 Boxster S that has electronic steering and it is not an issue.. it has one of the finest steering feel around and this was after an hydraulic steering 2010 Porsche Boxster... the transition was seamless...
True, but hydraulic is greatly influenced by suspension. Tighter suspension will give tighter steering. At least that's the case for my '04 FX35.
      12-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Aaron in Denver
Enlisted Member
Rep

500 miles now...

Have a few more miles after a little over a week and can comment more after experimenting more with the eco/comfort/sport modes and having more time with the DHP.
To me, sport mode definitely sharpens handling response, but the steering feel itself remains very light. It is slightly more direct in sport than comfort, but not by much, IMO. That said, DHP is definitely worth the cost. I test drove several X5's, and noticed with the 50i that you could really feel the heavier front end. The 35i felt much lighter and more nimble to me. DHP fixes that, particularly in sport mode. The steering is still light, but the chassis is buttoned down, but still comfortable.
Took the X5 on some tight, twisty roads today for the first time in sport mode. Wow. Very flat through tight corners and very balanced in left/ right transitions. I was impressed!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
bimmerlover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Aaron,
That info helps... how does the DHP perform on rough roads? theoretically even in sport mode the dynamic dampers should still maintain a soft ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Aaron in Denver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bimmer- have not driven it on any truly rough roads, but i have tried some sections of broken/patchy pavement on my way to work in both comfort and sport modes. Comfort is definitely softer and you feel more of the imperfections in the road in sport mode. Still, sport is not harsh or skittish and is very good overall
Appreciate 0